Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fuel Vaporlock
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
California Kublewagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 8:10 am    Post subject: Fuel Vaporlock Reply with quote

Has anyone every had problems with fuel vaporlock?
I've had problems driving down the freeway (cruising at 55 mph) and suddenly experiencing an almost complete loss of power, just enough power left to get off the freeway. Once everything's cooled down (half an hour or so), it'll run just fine for awhile longer. No warning lights (oil, generator) before the loss of power. Any ideas? I have plenty of oil, fan belt is not slipping. All I could maybe think of is fuel vaporlock.
pjmacua
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 11:49 am    Post subject: Fuel Vaporlock Reply with quote

Hello

Did you change something recently in the engine compartment?

Did you change your genuine fuel pump with an aftermarket brazilian fuel pump with a black plastic rocker at the bottom?

Regards
Pierre-J MACUA
www.volkswagen181.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
coad Premium Member
Samba Scapegoat

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2003 5:21 am    Post subject: Fuel Vaporlock Reply with quote

I had that problem once on an engine where the previous owner had converted to an alternator but never switched the fuel pump over to the newer alternator-style pump with the offset. The heat from the alternator was conducting to the fuel pump and causing vapor lock.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
California Kublewagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2003 9:56 pm    Post subject: Fuel Vaporlock Reply with quote

I believe I've found the problem, I readjusted my points. I also found a spot where my metal fuel line was in contact with the intake manifold/heat riser. I've taken care of both things, and that seems to have taken care of it.

However, I wasn't sure if it was the fuel pump that was the problem, so I bought a spare. The spare is an aftermarket Brazilian fuel pump with a black plastic rocker on the bottom. What should I know about it? Should I take it back? (I haven't used it yet)

Thanks.
Isaac
pjmacua
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2003 11:11 am    Post subject: Fuel Vaporlock Reply with quote

Hello Isaac

Personally, I don't like these aftermarket fuel pumps with the black plastic rockers on the bottom. Did you check the distance between the rocker and the bottom of the fuel pump?

Sometimes, this distance is bigger than the one measured on a genuine fuel pump. So you get problems when you drive your car at idle during a long time: lack of fuel.

Regards
Pierre-J MACUA
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TimGud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2003 1:11 pm    Post subject: Fuel Vaporlock Reply with quote

Isaac: Are all the cooling tin pieces,hoses and the engine compartment seal in good shape? If you look into the engine compartment and can see the underside of the car or the road anywhere that needs to be fixed. What your describing also sounds like it could be over heating. P.S. I would return the fuel pump! Good luck. Tim.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
California Kublewagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 9:40 pm    Post subject: Fuel Vaporlock Reply with quote

Thanks for all your help - I finally solved the problem.

The problem was due to fuel starvation, more specifically from my lines (and intake to fuel pump) becomming almost plugged up with crud. I spent an afternoon, and cleaned out my entire fuel system. (even pulled the tank) It runs like a beauty now...

Thanks again for you help. -Isaac
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: