Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

overheating // bad gauge????
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mantishi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 9:51 pm    Post subject: overheating // bad gauge???? Reply with quote

OK i bought a 1986 2.1 with some problems help i searched but didnt find much help PO said oil light blinked so she pulled the light bulb months ago still runs so OK the fuel gauge doesnt work and the temp gauge reads 7/8 plus if I turn on the heaters front and back the temp gauge reads 3/4 to 7/8 the fan comes on and off and i put the wifes meat thermometer in the expansion tank 208 degrees is the gauges bad or is it running hot???
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You, most likely, have problems with the instruments. It can be grounds, it can be the "voltage stabilizer" (voltage regulator), damaged flex board, or God knows what, exactly.

The temperature, is not quite boiling, but seems close. Depends on the thermostat and how well your cooling system is flowing. It is not running cool, though, I would guess.

You should investigate this closely before it frys.

You should, follow the procedures in the offical Bentley repair manual to diagnose the instruments. Also, I would check the warm oil pressure to be sure you are not about to grenade the engine because of low oil pressure. Please go to the stickies and read all about this stuff....

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
Tomasz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got same issue. So far I've swaped from my other vanagon the radiator and the gauge and it's still all the same. Temp gage stays at 7/8-15/16 or there abouts, however the expansion tank temp is under 200, while the radiator is at 180 on driver side and 170 passanger side. The fan kicks on and off. I've also replaced the temp II I think it is sensor that sends the temp to the gage. I've also check the thermostat which starts opening around 185's or so. Not sure what to do next. I'll try to clean the cooling system with some chemicals (flushed it with some water already) as the van sat for a 3 years or so. I don't know if that makes a difference but I'm currently riding with distilled water in it as I don't want to waste my money on the VW blue stuff.

If nothing works I'll have to disregard it or look into wiring. How would voltage stabilizer affect the temp gage? Is it easy to swap and where is it located? I can always try that if it is simple enough.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mantishi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks fellas I am still a bit confused will be checking gauges maybe get lucky would a water pump help?? its moving water have good heat in the heaters radiatior is hot just dont know Confused Confused
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mantishi wrote:
would a water pump help??

NO

Don't guess. You will waste your time and ours. Figure out the root cause and go for it.

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: