Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

I want to look for turbo vanagon engines.
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bangmika
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 11:47 pm    Post subject: I want to look for turbo vanagon engines. Reply with quote

What are my options? I'd like to stay volswagen, to avoid heavy modifications.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm about to have my engine conversion started in a couple weeks. There is a shop in Sacramento, CA that puts Volkswagen 1.8 Turbos in Vanagons (found in the New Beetles, GTI's, and Audi A4s among others). The stock 1.8T puts out up to 180hp by itself, and after the ignition immobilizer is nullified for the Vanagon by APR (they are one of the leading perfomance chip manufacturers for VW) I'm having it chipped up to roughly 210hp & 240 ft.lbs. of torque. I drove a Syncro Westy with that set-up at their shop and it was SWEET! Very Happy

I'll definitely post once all is done and I have some miles on it.

Lundy
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which Sacramento shop?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This one is from Europe somewhere. I don't know too much about it except that it's still a 2.1 and puts out 300hp with torque to match.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
aviatorjames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a rape-job.
That's the most un-clean, un-functional modification I've ever seen.

Kelley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a subaru.
I hate people. Are you people? I hate you.

Just trying to remember classic Samba quotes from the 'Days of Yore'
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stephan's Autohaus. They mention the 1.8T conversion on their website, but have recently worked out all the bugs in terms of getting the new set-up through the smog referees. Anyhow, take a look.

http://www.stephansautohaus.com/

Lundy
PNW Westy Owner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last year on a trip to the Bay Area, we had a failing starter in our Westy Weekender and made a pit stop at Stephan's Autohaus. Stephan was super nice and he showed me his personal ride which is a SynroWesty with a Tiico in it (at least it had this in it in June '05). While we were there, another customer was working on what was likely their first 1.8T install into a 86 Synro that the owner had put a Westy kit in it (including top) from a 80/81 westy I think.

Anywho, I think the owner of the conversion was living out of another westy in a vacant lot across the way while the work was being done. At the time I was there, the motor was in, but I don't think it cleared the decklid. They were also attempting to install the dash cluster from the 1.8 donor vehicle. The owner had fitted it in the dashspace and had heated up the dash cover and kind of molded it over the new cluster. It seem to fit and it did not look too hacked. At the time I was there, I think they had gotten the motor running and were mainly working out the wiring issues.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the one I test drove. It has amazing power, feels like a modern vehicle merging on the freeway. I didn't care for the dash setup, so I'm opting to disable the engine immobilizer with the switchblade like key. You're also right on the decklid, it does need to be raised. However, they created a unique setup by taking square tubing and welding it together to make a tool tray with clear plastic lids that fit over the individual compartments. No longer will I need to pull out the kids' car seats and dig around for my tool kit when working on the engine. Anyhow, an altogether sweet setup, and Stephan himself says he'll likely make the switch soon. The customer service has been fanastic so far, and I'm looking forward to posting here in a month or so with the results. Stay tuned.

Lundy
BenT Syncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen Stephan's work. Typically very "stock looking". His blue Westy is a beauty. He had done the 1.8T conversion on Werner S.'s Westy. I believe they are going to do a joint venture to do these conversions.

I am not a uge fan of the 1.8T just because it does not feel as strong as some of the other engines available now. However, if I were going to do one, I'd ask Stephan.

BenT
vanagoncafe.info
RichBenn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BenT Syncro wrote:
I've seen Stephan's work. Typically very "stock looking". His blue Westy is a beauty. He had done the 1.8T conversion on Werner S.'s Westy. I believe they are going to do a joint venture to do these conversions.

I am not a uge fan of the 1.8T just because it does not feel as strong as some of the other engines available now. However, if I were going to do one, I'd ask Stephan.

BenT
vanagoncafe.info

I have a chipped 1.8T in my Passat -- it ALWAYS brings a smile to my face. I'm having pangs 'cause I have to get rid of the car(too much rolling stock). It really doesn't come on 'till 2500-3000 rpm or so, and then kicks you in the butt all the way to 6700 rpm. It takes everyone a little time to get used to this with the clutch -- you need to keep rpms up when starting or you'll stall. I would be real interested in seeing how it performs in a vanagon, with the extra weight, but the car is in too good a shape to part out Cool

Rich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having driven their first conversion with the 1.8T (not chipped 150hp version in a heavier Syncro Westy), it actually made merging onto the freeway fun again. Perhaps I'm just comparing the experience to my 80hp 1.9, but I think the engine has plenty of pep. I am really excited to test the 200+ hp chipped version in my lighter 2wd Westy as I think the difference will be remarkable, but I guess that's stating the obvious.

My other comparison is of a friends chipped GTI. It definitely has the snap-your-head effect at 2500, but it is also on a significantly lighter vehicle. I did not experience that in the Syncro. Having said all this, only time and experience will tell. I spoke with Stephan a few days ago, and he says he'll be able to start on my van in the last week of September, first week of October time frame. From there it's about a month to complete the conversion and pass it through the referees for a BAR Label. Don't worry, I will be following up on this topic when all is complete.

Lundy
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many hours do they guess it will take? Besides the base engine and goodies from the donor, what else do they need to add? Co$t?

The idea of all VW appeals, but if it gets too out of hand with bizarre stuff then it begins to get less interesting.

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
BenT Syncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RichBenn wrote:
I have a chipped 1.8T in my Passat -- it ALWAYS brings a smile to my face. I'm having pangs 'cause I have to get rid of the car(too much rolling stock). It really doesn't come on 'till 2500-3000 rpm or so, and then kicks you in the butt all the way to 6700 rpm. It takes everyone a little time to get used to this with the clutch -- you need to keep rpms up when starting or you'll stall. I would be real interested in seeing how it performs in a vanagon, with the extra weight, but the car is in too good a shape to part out Cool

Rich,

The Vanagon is substantially heavier than the Passat. Sure the higher HP will get higher tops speed. But torque is what you need for acceleration. The 1.8T equipped Vanagon I rode in felt like a normal contemporary car. That is saying a lot considering how much old these vans are. I would compare that to between a 4-cyl. & 6-cyl 2006 Dodge Caravan. I've rented both recently. Those minivans are actually quite well done. That is probably why they sell so many of them. They are cheaper than what most of us spend on these Vanagons. Yet here we are looking to spend as much on an engine conversion as a 4 year old American minivan. Love can be expensive.

BenT
WBX man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at this:

http://www.schick-tuning.de/t3.htm

My recent projects:
http://www.t3nettet.dk/viewtopic.php?p=6342#6342
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
BenT Syncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WBX man wrote:
Look at this:

http://www.schick-tuning.de/t3.htm

Still a WBX though. John at Aircooled.Net built one for his Wasserboxer. There did not seem much of a demand here because you would still be dealing with WBX headgasket issues.

Regards,

BenT
WBX man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BenT Syncro wrote:
WBX headgasket issues.

I don't look at it as an issue... Just use the right coolant and the related precautions Wink

My recent projects:
http://www.t3nettet.dk/viewtopic.php?p=6342#6342
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

r39o wrote:
How many hours do they guess it will take? Besides the base engine and goodies from the donor, what else do they need to add? Co$t?

The idea of all VW appeals, but if it gets too out of hand with bizarre stuff then it begins to get less interesting.

I'm not certain on the additional stuff beside all the bits from the donor, it's sort of lost on me anyway. However, I am having them replace the 3-4 slider in the transaxle due to the possibility of breakage with the hp increase. They probably require some adaptor plates and hose rerouting, but otherwise I can't think of what else may be required. I'll ask when I meet with him next.

As for cost, it's expensive. It's about the same cost as a diesel conversion. Still, the bottom line is 200+ hp, and about 230-240 ft/lbs of torque from a VW engine. Oh, and they won't put in an engine with over 50K. I think mine is coming from a 2002 or 2003 Turbo Beetle.

Forgot to mention, they ask to hold the vehicle for roughly four weeks in order to complete the entire process and pass through the smog referees. I'm certain that with time, they may actually reduce this working time.

Lundy
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lundy wrote:
As for cost, it's expensive. It's about the same cost as a diesel conversion.

And that i$?

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What year is your van, Lundy?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: