Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Shifter/Transmission trouble....please help
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2003 6:16 am    Post subject: Shifter/Transmission trouble....please help Reply with quote

OK, I've been on here before and some of you guys might rememeber me. A lot of ya'll offered me some help with the steering box and the brakes on my brother's '73 which we have restored.
Our newest problem involves the transmission or shifter, I'm not sure. I know a lot of about cars and mechanics in general but I'll have to admit, my knowledge is transmissions, especially VWs ones is extremely limited. Reverse quit working in the Thing a few days ago. You can actually put the shifter into reverse, but it's like there is nothign there. WHen you let up on the clutch it doesn't do anything....as though it's still in neutral. After playing with it yesterday, The other gears seem to not be where they are supposed to or hard to get into or out of. Does anyone know where I should start looking into this first. Or does anyone know a reputable shop in the Atlanta area I should bring it to. Seems to me the shifter is the problem or the linkage somewhere and not the transmission....but this is just a guess.
Thanks in advance.
bljones
Resident Wit

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2003 3:01 pm    Post subject: Shifter/Transmission trouble....please help Reply with quote

pop off the inspection cover on top of the tunnel, under the rear seat. You'll see the shift coupler there (connects the shift rod to the transmission itself) chances are the coupler is worn out. Look for excessive play and general sloppiness, and if you are still unsre, disconnect the shift rod, and shift the transmission manually right back there at the nosecone- if it goes into gear okay, you know that the coupler is indeed your problem. also, have a buddy shift the car while you observe what is happening back there- if the shift rod is moving around a lot, you may have a bad bushing inside the tunnel. also, the shifter itself may be out of adjustment, especially if you have been playing around with it trying to troubleshoot the problem. This is one of those fiddly little drive-you-crazy things where a manual comes in handy.
Touch Nicks Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2003 6:07 pm    Post subject: Shifter/Transmission trouble....please help Reply with quote

The shifter can also get sloppy in the cup up front. Same symptom, gets stuck between gears, etc.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: