Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

After 31 years, oil pan stud vibrated out- anyone else??????
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 9:17 pm    Post subject: After 31 years, oil pan stud vibrated out- anyone else?????? Reply with quote

After 31 years, oil pan stud vibrated out; stock 1971 engine dropped an oil pan stud and all the oil leaked out while wife was driving, and she kept driving with the oil pressure light on, until it stalled. I replaced the stud, added 2 qts oil, drove it 1/4 mile home, changed oil that weekend: the screen was full of bearing shells. But I cleaned the screen, added 3 qts oil, bolted it up, and drove it for four more years - no knocking - swapped it because I felt low oil pressure at idle might cause her to get stranded. And now the '71 has the 1835, which sat for 12 years; all that one needed was one spark plug insert, fuel pump, and Weber 40DCNF accelerator pump. Want to know - has anyone else ever experienced this???
DrDarby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never seen it where the case hole wasn't wallowed out or the nut was not snug but with gravity & vibration andthing not tight will come out. My Wife's Chevy van lost SIX !! Automatic transmission pan bolts I'd assume because the idiot dealer mechanic that did the lest trans service for her didn't torque them to spec. The remianing were all finger tight or less. Thankfully I noticed it during an oil change and got it fixed before we had a $3000.00 bill on our hands.
ed stanley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Um - did you say "BEARING SHELLS WERE LAYING ON THE OIL SCREEN FILTER"? For real??? And it ran for 4 years and didn't knock? Holy mackrel Andy!
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr. Darby - the threads in the case were OK, just Loctited a new stud in.

Ed Stanley - yes, there were actual bearing shells on the pan and in the oil, and I know what bearings look like. I'm guessing they were rod bearings, not main bearings or cam bearings, but I can't remember if I could tell from their curvature. And the sucker NEVER knocked or sounded different at all for the next four years, and probably would still run fine today except for low oil pressure at idle after the engine warms up. That was the original 1600cc engine, now it has the dual port 1835 cc Weber 40DCNF engine from my '70 hardtop. I had to pull the little ring off the 70's 9-spring pressure plate to match the '71 throwout bearing, and the 1835'c fuel pump was leaking so I used the one off the '71. I'm keeping that engine because the records show that engine number being the original engine, in case I do a full restore someday. I couldn't really blame the wife for driving after the oil all leaked out - like how do you explain to someone that they just cut short the lifetime of an engine that had already gone 31 years?
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
I'm keeping that engine because the records show that engine number being the original engine, in case I do a full restore someday. I couldn't really blame the wife for driving after the oil all leaked out - like how do you explain to someone that they just cut short the lifetime of an engine that had already gone 31 years?

Came across this thread of mine today. In late 2016, I finally tore down the engine, found that #2 main bearing was what had been damaged when all the oil leaked out and Mrs. Cusser still tried to drive it home. The other main and the rod bearings looked pretty good.

The VW machine shop said that the crankshaft was OK and just needed polishing, not a regrind. The engine case was line-bored to "1 over" size. So I assembled that 1600cc engine and it now powers my 1970 VW. This is all covered with photos in my resurrection thread for that 1970 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=664950
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Frodge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: After 31 years, oil pan stud vibrated out- anyone else?????? Reply with quote

Good story. 😮
DrDarby wrote:
I've never seen it where the case hole wasn't wallowed out or the nut was not snug but with gravity & vibration andthing not tight will come out.

The above is an interesting statement considering these acorn nuts get 5 ft/lb of torque. We aren’t talking about a lot of tightness to begin here.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: After 31 years, oil pan stud vibrated out- anyone else?????? Reply with quote

I have never had one come out. Never seen one just fall out either. Sorry man!

They have only unscrewed out of the case while performing an oil change. I then just wait, wipe up the oil, carb cleaner the holes and red Loctite the stud back into place.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile

Last edited by VW_Jimbo on Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: After 31 years, oil pan stud vibrated out- anyone else?????? Reply with quote

I've not heard of an oil stud vibrating out in the dozen years since I first posted this either. And the case threads there are still fine, and I thought about it, but did not insert bolts from the inside to serve as oil "studs" when I rebuilt the engine.

I think we were "special".
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: After 31 years, oil pan stud vibrated out- anyone else?????? Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
I've not heard of an oil stud vibrating out in the dozen years since I first posted this either. And the case threads there are still fine, and I thought about it, but did not insert bolts from the inside to serve as oil "studs" when I rebuilt the engine.

I think we were "special".

Yep, the chosen few are special!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
vwjetboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: After 31 years, oil pan stud vibrated out- anyone else?????? Reply with quote

well 37 years is a long time.. I am sure someone changed oil and the stud came out with the nut... then sometime again someone did not re tighten after it got warm as I like to do... .and it vibrated out

p/s: Dad had a 73 T bird... last oil change someone did not tighten plug... ran it dry.... wrecker came and got.. new drain plug.. refilled with oil and he drove for years.. that is not my luck... id slung a rod..
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: After 31 years, oil pan stud vibrated out- anyone else?????? Reply with quote

vwjetboat wrote:
well 37 years is a long time.. I am sure someone changed oil and the stud came out with the nut... then sometime again someone did not re tighten after it got warm as I like to do... .and it vibrated out

I bought the 1971 back in 1976, so from then on everything was done by me. I can't remember it being in a shop except for the top replacement in 1980 and the seat upholstery in 1979.
Frodge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: After 31 years, oil pan stud vibrated out- anyone else?????? Reply with quote

Why sis you do wear upholstery so soon?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: After 31 years, oil pan stud vibrated out- anyone else?????? Reply with quote

I think somebody is smoken something longer than 4 years and may also have a loose stud.....bearing that in mind shells& cheessee can be a nice snack.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: After 31 years, oil pan stud vibrated out- anyone else?????? Reply with quote

Frodge wrote:
Why you do wear upholstery so soon?

Arizona sun dries out that VW "leatherette", and it cracks.

mark tucker wrote:
I think somebody is smoken something longer than 4 years and may also have a loose stud.....bearing that in mind shells& cheessee can be a nice snack.

Thank you, Mark, for your "unique" input !!!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: