Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Vert tops....
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2002 2:00 pm    Post subject: Vert tops.... Reply with quote

I have a 72 vert... good frame to rebuild and all but no back(glass) window and parts,
I know there area some out there but haven't found one ( or all the various pieces)to fit the budget for now.

I aquired a new vinyl top with a plastic rear window insert but it is from an earlier model.
Will the early top (up to 69?) fit on the frame I have for the 72?

Then I could re do it at a later date as I really hope for canvas top and original glass and frame in the end....
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TimGud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2002 7:36 pm    Post subject: Vert tops.... Reply with quote

No,cant be done. Better just sell it to me Real cheap!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TimGud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2002 6:22 am    Post subject: Vert tops.... Reply with quote

I really have no idea. Didn't mean to kill your thread Keith.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2002 6:34 am    Post subject: Vert tops.... Reply with quote

No problem Tim, I don't think you did! the Ghia column can't keep up with the rants and raves, I guess Ghia's are like supers and things... not much intrest... sometimes these odd man out columns go weeks without a response... oh well
Hey why don't you have the answer for me anyway???Smile you could always make up some BS that sounds good....Wink
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TimGud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2002 7:09 pm    Post subject: Vert tops.... Reply with quote

If I thought I could get one like that by you I might try but..............
TimGud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2002 9:44 pm    Post subject: Vert tops.... Reply with quote

I know the west coast metric catalog may not be the best place to qoute as fact but according to thier catalog 69 1/2(chassis #149431008 + up) to 74 Ghia uses the same top and headliner.
TimGud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2002 6:44 am    Post subject: Vert tops.... Reply with quote

Crap! I didn't notice the up till 69 part of the question. Why don't you try putting the top frame up and use a sewing tape measure from the front to the back bows and measure?
keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2002 8:47 am    Post subject: Vert tops.... Reply with quote

Thanks Tim, I may end up just having to do the experimentaion myself, I was just trying to eliminate some of the frustration factor by not getting the thing half done then finding out it won't go up or down correctly or ruining a perfectly good top with glue and staples till you find out it DOES NOT FIT!!! ARRRRGHHH! I just don't need that right now:) Who does????
John Kelly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2002 7:36 am    Post subject: Vert tops.... Reply with quote

Try the Ghia mailing list. Go to: www.karmannghia.org for insturctions on how to join. Also www.shoptalkforums.com

John www.ghiaspecialties.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2002 9:55 am    Post subject: Vert tops.... Reply with quote

Thanks John, I haven't tried the shoptalks forum yet.... I posted on the new forum on the karmanghia site, saw you had a few posts on there but seems like there is little activity there so far...
I'm not in a hurry just trying to get the info before I start that phase....
keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2002 7:16 pm    Post subject: Vert tops.... Reply with quote

Okay, I got the answer to my question, NO NO NOPE it will not interchange... (thats what I figured!) But I look at it this way.... someone will get a good deal on an early up to 69 1/2 new black vynyl top!
John Kelly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2002 7:45 am    Post subject: Vert tops.... Reply with quote

I just remembered...I think Jim Patterson from House Of Ghia had an article on how to fit an early top on a late convertable. Try searching his web site. It's on my links page.

John www.ghiaspecialties.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2002 11:46 am    Post subject: Vert tops.... Reply with quote

Thanks John, I'll cehck it out. I still haven't reached that point on the car yet and won't for a while....
Spyke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2002 10:57 am    Post subject: Vert tops.... Reply with quote

My 1960 Ghia has a later top frame on it (for 69 and up). The method used to clamp the top to the header is different between the two so I know it's a later frame. However, I have a canvas top with a plastic window.

Now I'm not sure how the two go together. You've already got an answer that it won't work, but I can tell you that I have a later frame on an early car with a plastic window, so... there's got to be some way to put it together.
COFFIN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 12:14 pm    Post subject: Vert tops.... Reply with quote

I have a 69 ghia vert with the glass rear window.... Why not just get the top that is supposed to go on that year model and have someone sew in a plastic rear window until you run accross a glass one?
keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 12:43 pm    Post subject: Vert tops.... Reply with quote

wow, dug deep on this one eh?

actually I was able to score a rear glass and hinges/ latch for a great price awhile back. Sadly it is just sitting with all the rest of my parts, waiting for the day (*sigh*)...
keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 12:46 pm    Post subject: Vert tops.... Reply with quote

Oh yeah, thanks though coffin , is a good idea, anyways...

BTW anyone need a new black vinyl top for earlire than 69 models??
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 4:33 pm    Post subject: Vert tops.... Reply with quote

keifernet,
That dude in texas, "roadkill" is his e-mail name, was selling the frame and parts and the rear window for a decent price. I have a 70 ghia Vert with the glass window. Personally, I prefer the glass over the plastic. That damn plastic fades, cracks, and turns yellow, and is not as clear as the glass. Now, this is just my opinion Y'all. I was also going to buy a new top, but I want to try the canvas this time. Any comments on the canvas compared to the vinyl? Does the earlier Ghia have the rear wood tack strip or is it adjusted with the cables like mine Y'all?
Rick
keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 8:38 pm    Post subject: Vert tops.... Reply with quote

Yeah I've seen his ads, I was gonna catch up to him last weekend at the Monumental Bug Bash, but I couldn't go and he said he was going to another swap so... I would like to get some stuff from him for spares or see if it is better than what I have.
If you can cough for it Haartz Stayfast is the shiat...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: