Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Lowering
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Erwin vs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rene p. l. wrote:

Thanks...
which number you have between 145 and 15? Is it the "Smart" tire? I will start my set up for this summer with a standard beetle beam and maybe lowered spindles. Do you think standard beetle beam will have issues with rubbing the fender?

Depends on what tires you will be using.
Standaard Beetle with 145 non adjustable beam will not rub the fenders.
I ride with 165-50-15 and have about 1" of suspension left before it hits the "special" lowerd Ball Joints.
a 145 smart tire is a bit higher.
mstatedog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rene p. l. wrote:
mstatedog wrote:
That's my Avacado 181 with BRMs above. I am running 145-15s in the front and 19560R15s in the rear. The rear is down about 2 splines. The front has a 2" narrowed type 1 beam, spindle to spindle with adjusters and 2" narrowed white line sway bar. Your thing drums will fit the type 1 spindles except for the inner bearing. The inside diameter of the inner bearing is different. You have to get the inner bearing that matches the type 1 spindle. You also need the inside seal that matches the spindle year. I am also running kyb gas shocks on all 4 corners and a rear sway bar. The type 1 beam will get you down about 2-3 inches...the rest can be done with the adjusters.

I did not have to trim or cut anything to fit this beam in. If it was any narrower, It would have gotten into the tire well.

dog

Thanks...
which number you have between 145 and 15? Is it the "Smart" tire? I will start my set up for this summer with a standard beetle beam and maybe lowered spindles. Do you think standard beetle beam will have issues with rubbing the fender?

The tires are 145R1578S Nankang. There is about 2" between the outside of the tire and the inside of the fender lip. It would be hard to say if your tires will rub. You will need to know the size of tires, wheels and make some measurements.

dog
rene p. l.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

surferdudedav wrote:
cubist wrote:
A 2" narrowed beam gives more clearance on a very slammed 181 but you may still need to grind the reinforcement plateoff the inner top face of the right fender (OE only) and trim back the inner wing joining panel a few mm's as i did. Not neccessary if you can live with the scuffing!

Your 181 drums will bolt straight up to the dropped beetle spindles without any problems. Wink

whats a reinforcement plate? is that on the beam or the car? also got pics of underneath?

Here it is!!! I receive my fenders today and now i'm able to see the difference between a "military fender" and a "civil fender". Look at the reinforcement plate of the passenger fender. What purpose it have?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
galencurrington
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i got my back done on my car it's two inner clicks but i have to go back and do some more clearancing on the spring plate and some wheel spacers to get my caps on, but other than that it is perfect.

rene p. l.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Galen, that Thing look nice!

Just to add more info to your set-up and to this topic...

Which tire size do you have at the rear?
Is it possible to have a photo of the notched spring plates?
Do you still have a rubber snubber (bumpstop) at the rear?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
galencurrington
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

those are 185/65/15 on the back with about just under 2 inches before it hits the bottom of the fender. and i took the snubbers off but i didn't cut where the snubbers hit. next time i go home to my parents house and do more clearancing i will take a closer pick of it finished. i just need to get my adjustable beam to put in on the front and it will be done. i had drop spindles with the thing beam and it rubbed the lower ball joint bad so that didn't work.

galencurrington
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:03 am    Post subject: slammin thing Reply with quote

i got the front done this past weekend. i used an adjustable beam with ghia or bug torsion arms and ghia disc brakes and the beam isn't all the way down. the tires are 175/55/15 smart car tires. i also had to finish out the clearancing in the back.

mstatedog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice!

keep us up to date

dog
Attorney Isaiah Loophole
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw someone talking about running a 145/15. If that tire is to tall for you then switch to the 145/65/15 it is an inch and half shorter than the 145/15.
Love the polished cookie cutters. It is looking sweet. Got me thinking and made go mock up my thing. Now I just got to finish my swingaxle chassis to go under it.

Wink Bryce
62 Beetle
64 Beetle "Pat"
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: