Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Newbie Parts Buying Experiences: Berg, Aircoooled, W West
Forum Index -> Buyer and Seller Feedback Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
henrym
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 6:58 pm    Post subject: Newbie Parts Buying Experiences: Berg, Aircoooled, W West Reply with quote

I haven't purchased VW parts since the 80's and am now just getting back into the hobby. (didnt even have the internet last time I bought parts!) After some careful research and a trip to California where I visited Berg and WW, I made my list and went shopping for parts for my 67 bug. Thought I would relay my experiences:

Aircooled.net---Ordered online about 25 items, some small, some medium (e.g. exhaust, ignition, etc.). Great experience. I liked the online format, the very candid advice and really appreciated the written instructions automatically emailed to me. I also like the reminders or related items it displays just before you check out. Again, a nice touch. As it turned out, some things had a very minor backorder and they called me to advise (another really nice touch). The order showed up on time, was well packed, etc. I will be a repeat customer.

Gene Berg. Used to buy from them in the 80's and a LOT has changed. I ordered a locker shifter and was expecting the old "customer number" routine but that is long gone--so is their computer system I think. Nonethless, they were friendly and down to earth, knew what I wanted and processed my order quick. Mrs. Berg is a class act as is Tim and Cathy. And what can you say about the quality? The best. I would be happy to throw all my business at Berg but they simply don't manufacture much any more. I hope this changes.

Wolfsburg West. Great catalog, GREAT dvd they include and awesome selection. The owner obviously has his act together and runs a top-notch outfit. I elected to phone order as I had some questions about certain items. Whoever took my order also had his act together; I ordered about 15 items and was off the phone in two minutes flat. No hassle, no B.S. Stuff showed up on time and intact.

E-BAY. My bad. My stupid. Bought a steering wheel with horn ring that was advertised as "no defects". It showed up, had more flaws and cracks in it than O.J.'s alibi. The seller was great though and offered a full refund. But it was a hassle and I wont do this again.

Something to note: I am surprised and dissapointed to see that the same sellers of "junk" are still in business (we know who they are). It absolutely amazes me that after 20 years, their glossy and big ads still grace Hot VW's while good people like the Bergs are stripped down to just a fraction what they used to be. I can't figure out who would buy this crap?

Hope this helps!
Yellowbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Henry.

Aircooled.net: John's definitely got his act together. You'll get the right parts and good advice.

Gene Berg: As you said, a lot's changed since Gene died. More's the pity. At least the family is keeping the business running.

Wolsburg West: Top quality resto parts and knowledgeable help. I once got a phone call from them after ordering a part for my bus, because all they had in their system was my bug, and they wanted to stop me from buying the wrong part. Good deal.

You forgot BFY. Shame on you. Great folks and one of my nostalgic faves.
Thanks. Thread went from me not being able to understand what Ipis was saying because English is obviously not his first language to me not being able to understand it because English is my first language Laughing

Fuel pumps galore:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=845378
henrym
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don,

Funny that you mention BFY. I was in So Cal on bus. with a free day so I grabbed a car and visited Bergs, W West, BFY and West Coast Metric. I run a company myself so have pretty strong opinions on first impressions and how things look. W West really impressed me. Neat shop, organized, professional.

BFY was a cool place, kind of funky and friendly but I wasn't urged to order from them. Now that I read your email, I think I will give them a shot.

Thanks!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Buyer and Seller Feedback All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: