Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

"The interior Project" Finished! (lots of pics)
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vsyevolod
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:02 pm    Post subject: Re: "The interior Project" Finished! (lots of pics Reply with quote

kevinbassplayer wrote:
Not sure it was the best choice, but for regular insulation I went with R-30 house insulation that was encased in plastic for "no-itch" I left a small gap between the floor and insulation.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

As a construction kinda guy, I have to point out that fiberglass insulation will decrease in R value when compressed. You say you were using R30 which is made for 10" attic spaces. Also, you used the 'no-itch' type which means you can't peel off layers to decrease the thickness. If I'm working on a construction project, new or remodel, we usually have to have an insulation inspector come out to view the insulation install before we cover it up. If he sees any areas where we've just 'stuffed it in', he'll tell us to rip it out and do it right. Fiberglass insulation (like down sleeping bags) is all about 'loft'. If you compress it, it works much less efficiently. Basically, if you take R30 and compress it into a 2x4 wall, you'll have worse R value than if you had used R13 in the first place. My guess is that you'd have been better off with R13 (made for 2x4 walls), or R19 (made for 2x6 walls) IF you taper it thickness-wise as the interior of your van walls taper.

Stephen

B
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: