Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

HVLP Painting - Color
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
scottjk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 7:11 am    Post subject: HVLP Painting - Color Reply with quote

I shot paint for the first time yesterday and I have to say that I'm real happy with the results. I got a couple runs but wet sanding them out was easy.

I used Dupont Centari single stage acrylic enamel. The shop that mixed it for me couldn't have been more dead on the color. It panel blended perfectly. The beauty of this paint is that it sets real quick so if you are doing it outside, like me, you don't get a lot of futz in the paint.

DevilBiss makes a starter HVLP set for just over $100 that comes with 2 guns. If I can lay paint this well the first time these guns must be good.

http://www.amazon.com/Devilbiss-Starting-Line-HVLP...amp;sr=8-1

Scott
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I don't care much for the HVLP guns.
Why?
Poor finished product, too much work after the application to get the paint slick.

Even HVLP primer guns are a pain --they lay the material on so it looks like / feels like concrete block.
It's a bunch more work to a get smooth prep finish easy.

I just bought a SATA primer gun, and had to buy a nozzle 4 times as large as the one that came with it so I could get some material outa the end of it so it would lay flat.
That's almost 500 bucks for a primer gun--not happy.

The Centari you could have made flow flat a little better, especially in the heat if you had used slower reducer.

The mid temp reducer caused the paint to set up like almost right now.

Between the mid temp reducer,the heat and the spitting HVLP gun, you must have had a hell of a time getting the paint to lay flat without any dry spots.

You got the runs becasue you were trying to get a slick Johnny one coat finish--and over compenstate for the paint setting up fast.

Hindsight--you should have picked up a Binks #7 gun ( even used ) for the paint job.

As you blow the paint on--you can see yourself in the reflection off of the body panals--this is good--
Two passes and you got a nice slick paint job--and little or no sanding & rubbing at the end of the day.

HVLP doesn't thrill me for an easy, good looking finished product.

It makes a bunch more work to get the same finish as the Binks would have in two passes of product.

Oh-well--
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terry Kay wrote:
HVLP guns.

Poor finished product, too much work after the application to get the paint slick.

Even HVLP primer guns are a pain --they lay the material on so it looks like / feels like concrete block.
It's a bunch more work to a get smooth prep finish easy.

HVLP doesn't thrill me for an easy, good looking finished product.

It makes a bunch more work to get the same finish as the Binks would have in two passes of product.

Absolutely 110% false information/operator error...period!

Hey Scott, good on ya for taking on a job that most would never tackle. Sounds like you had decent results, especially for a first timer.

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
scottjk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:22 am    Post subject: HVLP Reply with quote

Like I said, I'm happy with the results so that is all that matters. I did about 5 areas and only got runs on one which sanded out easily with 800 grit. I'll flow another coat on today to finish it up.

Scott
wavanagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey scottjk, congrats! It is very rewarding, isn't it? I was amazed at how much I enjoyed spraying my poptop when I did it a month or so ago. I was also amazed at how good it turned out. It is very rewarding and if I had the space (some day), I would paint my own van.

Sounds like your gun was much higher end than mine! I think I got my 2 gun pack at Lowes for $30 on clearance! Very Happy After doing it w/ a cheap gun, I'm convinced that if you follow the data sheets, get your mixtures right, and take your time, you will get good results. I am proof.

http://wavanagon.googlepages.com/87westfaliapoptoppaint
http://wavanagon.googlepages.com

Dirty from working on your Vanagon? Buy soap from my wife!
http://www.teatreesoap.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
scottjk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:40 am    Post subject: Nice Reply with quote

Nice job on the top. Looks great!

Definitely rewarding when the whole van comes together. The guys at the paint shop thought it was a very cool rig. One guy wanted to buy it. Laughing

I'll post pictures later today when I get it finished. We are hitting the road for a windsurfing safari to Oregon tomorrow.

Scott
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

<<Absolutely 110% false information/operator error...period!>>

I'm sorry.

Your right--I forgot you guys are into the roll & brush look.
Anything you can spit the paint on with must be a 200% improvement.

My mistake.

Oh--and don't plan on sanding and buffing on that Centari single stage paint too much after you get the final coat on.

You'll cut most the skin off of it and it'll chaulk out in a couple of months.

Loogy--you don't know what in the hell your talking about regarding high quality refinishing equipment, or laying a decent finish on a vehicle.

A 30 dollar spit gun ain't gonna make it.

You should stick with your roller & brush paint jobs---same end result.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: Nice Reply with quote

scottjk wrote:
Nice job on the top. Looks great!

Definitely rewarding when the whole van comes together. The guys at the paint shop thought it was a very cool rig. One guy wanted to buy it. Laughing

I'll post pictures later today when I get it finished. We are hitting the road for a windsurfing safari to Oregon tomorrow.

Scott

Looking forward to those pictures, and maybe seeing it in person when you pass through. Let us know when you're passing through PDX and we'll rally a few folks for a beer or three.
westylife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terry Kay,

Why do you feel the need to always put people down? I don’t think Scott cares about the money you spend on parts or how much you are always right, how you do the best jobs of everyone on the samba or that everyone else on the samba only does the bare minimum. I'm pretty sure about 50% of the people who enjoy this forum are just about sick of you and wish someone would finally ask you to leave.

I have bought stuff from you before and have felt the wrath of the ultimate Terry Kay over the phone. Remember when you SCREAMED at me over the phone because I could not read your photocopied instructions? Probably not, I’m just one of the many I’m sure. Nice customer support. Don’t sell anything if you can’t provide customer support.

Now I'm sure you are going to write back and put me down, call me dumb when I ask others questions but its ok. How about you just not chime in unless it’s to actually help someone. I guess that’s just your nature and we should all just say "that’s just the kind of guy he is" right?

Now back to the question about which is a better paint gun, oh wait there wasn’t a question about paint guns.

Congrats Scott! Keep up the good work I’m looking forward to seeing the pictures. And you are 100% correct. All that matters is that YOU like it.

Westylife
riceye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

westylife wrote:
Terry Kay,

Why do you feel the need to always put people down? I don’t think Scott cares about the money you spend on parts or how much you are always right, how you do the best jobs of everyone on the samba or that everyone else on the samba only does the bare minimum. I'm pretty sure about 50% of the people who enjoy this forum are just about sick of you and wish someone would finally ask you to leave.

I have bought stuff from you before and have felt the wrath of the ultimate Terry Kay over the phone. Remember when you SCREAMED at me over the phone because I could not read your photocopied instructions? Probably not, I’m just one of the many I’m sure. Nice customer support. Don’t sell anything if you can’t provide customer support.

Now I'm sure you are going to write back and put me down, call me dumb when I ask others questions but its ok. How about you just not chime in unless it’s to actually help someone. I guess that’s just your nature and we should all just say "that’s just the kind of guy he is" right?

Now back to the question about which is a better paint gun, oh wait there wasn’t a question about paint guns.

Congrats Scott! Keep up the good work I’m looking forward to seeing the pictures. And you are 100% correct. All that matters is that YOU like it.

Westylife

<Sound of many hands clapping...>

There's gonna be some changes made.

“I find that things usually go well right up until the moment they don't.” - Ahwahnee

"Quality isn't method. It's the goal toward which the method is aimed." - Socrates, later quoted by R.M. Pirsig
HeftySmurf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terry is a sad old man
A big pussy in my opinion, all bark and no bite
Given the chance I'd like to plant my foot in his ass, pull it out then insert it in to the black hole he calls his mouth.
He is nothing, thus why he feels the need to put every one down.
When push came to shove he was little bitch when I called him out..... Going on 60+ pms on my recap on his dipshitness.
No one likes you Terry, you don't even appear to like vanagons, just ripping people off and belittling them
I wish I couldve seen his face when the seniour VP of Hi Lift jack called him out on his misrepping of his products and copyright infringement...
Like a little girl with his tail between his legs.
Priceless
Terry my invitation always stands to go to lunch and handle it.....
You are bag of hot air and a fraud.....
Don't care how much you claim to know.... You are a worm and a snake with no respect or testicles.......

If you havebt seen my feed back on him check it out

A walking contradiction.....
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

westylife wrote:
Congrats Scott! Keep up the good work I’m looking forward to seeing the pictures.

Me too.

Last edited by ?Waldo? on Sun Aug 09, 2009 2:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
HeftySmurf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't run him over
I'd repeatidly punch him in his big mouth
ahollon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good job Scott on the paint job. I would be to nervous to try painting my van outside or anywhere really.
Shout out to my man Westylife keeping it real in AK. See you in a week.
Sir Sam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you know how to paint with an HVLP gun and how to setup the gun correctly you will have no trouble shooting a glossy run free finish that needs no wetsanding.

87' Syncro + '87 Westy conversion coming soon
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sir Sam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

westylife wrote:
Terry Kay,

I'm pretty sure about 50% of the people who enjoy this forum are just about sick of you and wish someone would finally ask you to leave.

Being the new guy I tried to brush off the rather abrasive personality of TK whenever I saw him post. I post on many different car forums and know that there are always certain members who can seem abrasive or offensive when they are not. Furthermore, being relatively low on the food chain here, I didn't feel it was my place to say anything. However in this case I think I agree with the above sentiment. Can the attitude, or leave and continue on being a curmudgeon elsewhere.

87' Syncro + '87 Westy conversion coming soon
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

<<Why do you feel the need to always put people down?>>

I wan't putting anybody down.
I said; an HVLP gun makes more work to get a descent job at the finish line.
And comparitively speaking an pressure gun can make your life easier.
That's the bottom line.
And you an buy a $25.00 presure gun that will run circles aronund an HVLP.

<< I don’t think Scott cares about the money you spend on parts or how much you are always right,>>

What in th hell does that have to do with the price of tea in China?
Nada.

<<I have felt the wrath of the ultimate Terry Kay over the phone. Remember when you SCREAMED at me over the phone because I could not read your photocopied instructions?>>

No I don't.
I ask for E-mails to solve problems.
Folks can't read script english.

I work for a living.
Maybe you don't--or have a lot of time on yor hands.
Mid day with a Caterpiller D-6 oil pan giving me hell coming off, and the stupid phome is ringing.
It could have been my kids, it could have been a supplier--
That particular day it really didn't make any difference who called.

Yep--you caught hell just like everybody else did.
--You wern't the only idiot on the phone.

<< I’m just one of the many I’m sure. Nice customer support.>>

Perfect for the timing.
An E-mail when I get home, as instucted works very well.

<< Don’t sell anything if you can’t provide customer support.>>

I give plenty of customer support when the customer follows simple instuctions.
It ain't all that difficult.

<<Now I'm sure you are going to write back and put me down,>>

You put yourself down here, for not paying attention.

<<Now back to the question about which is a better paint gun, oh wait there wasn’t a question about paint guns.>>

No there wasn't.

BUT the idea that there was a bunch of runs came into view as the high volume gun was putting out high volume not much fine mist spray as a pressure gun would have .

You missed that part of the fine print.

Last edited by Terry Kay on Sun Aug 09, 2009 1:58 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
McVanagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ahollon wrote:
Good job Scott on the paint job.

Did I miss the pictures?
View user's profile Send private message Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

westylife wrote:

You are correct, there was not an initial question about "a better paint gun", but the goal of this forum is to learn from others and share accurate information. When inaccurate information is posted, especially when it is just plain false, it needs to be corrected. Regardless of what Terry thinks he knows about me, I feel that twenty plus years in the automotive refinish industry, thousands of satisfied customers, award winning custom paint jobs, cars with my paint jobs featured in magazines, etc., buys me the right to have an opinion on HVLP paint guns. Some people like HVLP guns, others don't, but the fact remains that the information that Terry is spewing about these guns is not accurate. In the right hands (and obviously in the hands of first timers/amateurs) HVLP guns can deliver great results. It's really that simple!

Scott, I'm sorry to have been involved in mucking up your thread, but I just couldn't let it slide.

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My opnion's on painting equipment & techniques expand way beyond the keyboard of the internet.

I've been refihishing Semis--Award winning trucks for Mack Truck of Chicago--besides private fleets.
A few have been in calendars---
And have been doing it for 33 years.

Now--Loogy, you wanna expound on the evolution of refinshing material's too?

I can go there besides the gun technology--

Born & bred with a Bink's #7, have two 2001's , one on a 5 gallon Binks pressure pot, Delvibis, & Sharpe are my back up guns.
Have an Optima & a Sata ( which is junk ) primer gun's.
Have a Binks electrostatic system for long semi trailer's & heavy equipment.

I suggested that with the proper gun, and the proper technique,, you can come out with an almost rub out proof paint job.
(Minus the dust and arm hairs)

Any painter with any experience knows this, and the paint supply houses will tell you this.

Last edited by Terry Kay on Sun Aug 09, 2009 4:08 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: