Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts  See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com
 
My silly tachometer face mod
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Print View
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
lovedavdubs
Samba Member


Joined: April 30, 2004
Posts: 1597
Location: New York, NY.
lovedavdubs is offline 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 8:54 pm    Post subject: My silly tachometer face mod Reply with quote

Just a little fun with Photoshop Wink What do you guys think? Yea or nea?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

_________________
82 Air-cooled Westy (Lola)...My other vehicle is a subway.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
noganav
Samba Member


Joined: January 06, 2006
Posts: 1236
Location: San Diego CA
noganav is offline 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Hilarious, but might be even funnier in German

According to Google translator:

Boom = Hochkonjunktur

Hmm, Das Wort konnte nicht passen.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TedzBug
Samba Member


Joined: May 26, 2004
Posts: 272
Location: Michigan, USA
TedzBug is offline 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

or put "achtung"?
_________________
'75 Super Beetle
http://www.pbase.com/tedzillich/1975_super_beetle
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
camo westy
Samba Member


Joined: July 23, 2006
Posts: 400
Location: Madison, Va
camo westy is offline 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A friend had dollars signs starting at redline on his race car.

$$$$$$$$$$$
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lovedavdubs
Samba Member


Joined: April 30, 2004
Posts: 1597
Location: New York, NY.
lovedavdubs is offline 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey that's not bad Think

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.



I don't think this ones gonna work Laughing Wink

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

_________________
82 Air-cooled Westy (Lola)...My other vehicle is a subway.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
r39o
Samba Polizei


Joined: May 18, 2005
Posts: 9548
Location: San Diego
r39o is offline 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're "silly." Smile Smile Smile Smile 'Laughing'
_________________
"Use the SEARCH, Luke" But first visit the Vanagon FAQ!
1990 Multivan EJ 22 running well...

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member


Joined: August 03, 2005
Posts: 5131
Location: PNW
Christopher Schimke is offline 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's cool! I like the "AUCHTUNG" version. Before Photoshop was even thunk up, I used to do all of my friends gauges by hand. We had some pretty crazy stuff on some of them.
_________________
Christopher

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lovedavdubs
Samba Member


Joined: April 30, 2004
Posts: 1597
Location: New York, NY.
lovedavdubs is offline 

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Auchtung it is Wink Thanks Ted!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.


I'm still not happy with the finish. Too dull. I tried printing one on acetate but it turned out to be too glossy. It a work in progress I suppose
_________________
82 Air-cooled Westy (Lola)...My other vehicle is a subway.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
buspor63
Samba Member


Joined: February 17, 2005
Posts: 1099
Location: Knoxville,TN Where America stops for gas
buspor63 is offline 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why dont you go ahead and renumber it? Perhaps X2? " yeah, 10K is safe. but I gotta watch it at 10.5"
_________________
Imagine that, theres not an "h" in either Westfalia or Syncro?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lovedavdubs
Samba Member


Joined: April 30, 2004
Posts: 1597
Location: New York, NY.
lovedavdubs is offline 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buspor63 wrote:
Why dont you go ahead and renumber it? Perhaps X2? " yeah, 10K is safe. but I gotta watch it at 10.5"


Think Come again? why renumber? x2 what? 10k rpms? This is an air cooled engine Shocked
_________________
82 Air-cooled Westy (Lola)...My other vehicle is a subway.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bacwmi
Samba Member


Joined: May 25, 2005
Posts: 52
Location: Saint Louis area
bacwmi is offline 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if it can be temporary then have lots of fun!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
?Waldo?
Samba Member


Joined: February 22, 2006
Posts: 7829
Location: Where?
?Waldo? is offline 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about "SHIFT DAMMIT!"

Andrew
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Classifieds Feedback
GeorgeL
Samba Member


Joined: January 16, 2006
Posts: 7346

GeorgeL is offline 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

noganav wrote:
Laughing Hilarious, but might be even funnier in German

According to Google translator:

Boom = Hochkonjunktur

Hmm, Das Wort konnte nicht passen.


Um, I think that Hochkonjunktur mean "boom" in the sense of an economic boom.

Since "boom" is onomatopoetic, the German transliteration is different.

Referring to my daughters' Adventures of Tintin in German, I find that the sound of a small explosion, such as gunfire is "PANG". The sound of a large explosion, such as dynamite is "WUMM". I think that "WUMM" has a better feel for a tachometer!

George
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
buspor63
Samba Member


Joined: February 17, 2005
Posts: 1099
Location: Knoxville,TN Where America stops for gas
buspor63 is offline 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lovedavdubs wrote:
buspor63 wrote:
Why dont you go ahead and renumber it? Perhaps X2? " yeah, 10K is safe. but I gotta watch it at 10.5"


Think Come again? why renumber? x2 what? 10k rpms? This is an air cooled engine Shocked


Exactly, just for fun. All the kidz have them high revvin' engines. Only you know the real story. Kinda like using a Kph speedo "back in the day"
_________________
Imagine that, theres not an "h" in either Westfalia or Syncro?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lovedavdubs
Samba Member


Joined: April 30, 2004
Posts: 1597
Location: New York, NY.
lovedavdubs is offline 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andrew A. Libby wrote:
How about "SHIFT DAMMIT!"

Andrew


Laughing You've been had. Thats a doctored photo. Good one Bacwmi.
_________________
82 Air-cooled Westy (Lola)...My other vehicle is a subway.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
?Waldo?
Samba Member


Joined: February 22, 2006
Posts: 7829
Location: Where?
?Waldo? is offline 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I knew that. Vanagons are never THAT FULL of fuel. Razz

You mean he wasn't really turning 550,000 rpms Question

Andrew


Last edited by ?Waldo? on Wed Oct 11, 2006 8:47 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Classifieds Feedback
rfoubi
Samba Member


Joined: March 21, 2004
Posts: 204
Location: Rossland BC
rfoubi is offline 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks pretty cool.... how exactly did you put that tach in in the first place? Did you just use a vanagon tach? My van has no tach, and im going to install one, but i want to put it in the fuel/temp location in the dashboard, and then just make a custom face so it can look pretty much stock.

THanks

edit.... looking at it again, maybe your van had a tach to begin with and youre just changing the face? Either way, looks good
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lovedavdubs
Samba Member


Joined: April 30, 2004
Posts: 1597
Location: New York, NY.
lovedavdubs is offline 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rfoubi wrote:
That looks pretty cool.... how exactly did you put that tach in in the first place? Did you just use a vanagon tach? My van has no tach, and im going to install one, but i want to put it in the fuel/temp location in the dashboard, and then just make a custom face so it can look pretty much stock.

THanks

edit.... looking at it again, maybe your van had a tach to begin with and youre just changing the face? Either way, looks good


Nope. I had the same usless clock. This is what it look like when I started. You just have the additional temp gauge to deal with.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.


I pulled my tach from a early 90s Jetta like this.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.


It took a little trial and error trimming and wiring, but I figured it out.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.


Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.


After all was said and done I refaced the tach so the fonts matched the speedo to the left. Believe it or not all the number and letter fonts are available in Photoshop's font library Cool

I documented the swap on my web page if your curious
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/451223/4
_________________
82 Air-cooled Westy (Lola)...My other vehicle is a subway.


Last edited by lovedavdubs on Wed Oct 11, 2006 10:16 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MacGyver
Samba Member


Joined: October 10, 2006
Posts: 100
Location: Ape City, Utah
MacGyver is offline 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Change the 'boom' to 'Sex'
_________________
I specialize in fixing whatever I can using Q-tips, feathers, and ball point pens.
I don't believe in guns.
[email protected] wrote:
My nuts are fantastic!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
rfoubi
Samba Member


Joined: March 21, 2004
Posts: 204
Location: Rossland BC
rfoubi is offline 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lovedavdubs wrote:
rfoubi wrote:
That looks pretty cool.... how exactly did you put that tach in in the first place? Did you just use a vanagon tach? My van has no tach, and im going to install one, but i want to put it in the fuel/temp location in the dashboard, and then just make a custom face so it can look pretty much stock.

THanks

edit.... looking at it again, maybe your van had a tach to begin with and youre just changing the face? Either way, looks good


Nope. I had the same usless clock. This is what it look like when I started. You just have the additional temp gauge to deal with.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.


I pulled my tach from a early 90s Jetta like this.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.


It took a little trial and error trimming and wiring, but I figured it out.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.


Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.


After all was said and done I refaced the tach so the fonts matched the speedo to the left. Believe it or not all the number and letter fonts are available in Photoshop's font library Cool

I documented the swap on my web page if your curious
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/451223/4


thanks for the reply, thats a sweet job that you did, it looks awesome! I think I may try and do the same.....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

About | Help! | Advertise | Donate | Premium Membership | Privacy/Terms of Use | Contact Us | Site Map
Copyright © 1996-2018, Everett Barnes. All Rights Reserved.
Not affiliated with or sponsored by Volkswagen of America | Forum powered by phpBB