Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

ticking lifter/new engine
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ottojd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 9:50 am    Post subject: ticking lifter/new engine Reply with quote

I have broken in my rebuilt engine and get a tick from what sounds like either the 2nd or 3rd cylinder. Should I adjust the valves? I don't have a Bentley yet and do not know the clearances. This is an every-oil-change job on my beetle. What differs with the hydraulic lifters?
mattcfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hydros only need to be adjusted once every great while. If you've got it over 1000 miles and you have new lifters, you should adjust valves while hot, according to Bob at Boston Engines. Adjust the same as on your air cooled (only hot so oil has pumped up the lifters) using the same order. Back off the screws and adjust until there is exactly 0 clearance. Bob says to leave it there, others say to turn in the screw 1 to 2 turns. I turned my in 1/2 a turn, just enough to take out the clatter, but not so tight that the valve doesn't close all the way.

Good luck
bacwmi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello ottojd,

I put in a new engine 5 months ago (2.2L) and at the time I could really hear a lifter banging. after 1200 miles I had the hydro adjustment made but no change they were still banging. What was strange was that when I first started it up it was quiet and after it warmed up the lifter started making the noise. I ended up having the lifter replaced and everything has been perfect. the bad lifter couldn't keep pressure after the oil warmed up and thinned. Check to see if your motor is quiet when you first start it up. The warranty on the engine covered the problem . Hope that helps oh yeah, say hello to Suzanne Geha for me
I grew up in GR -miss the lake and camping in the upper lower p

thanks
ottojd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello bacwmi,
It ticks worse when cold so I don't think I have the same problem. thanks
Suzanne Geha? Are you kidding me?
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is an adjustment rap for the aircooled hydraulic lifters. I am pretty sure that your are the same.

http://www.ratwell.com/technical/HydraulicLifters.html

Adjust them when they are all pumped up. If there is air in there, the rocker will feel squishy as air compresses, oil doesn't.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bacwmi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ottojd wrote:
Suzanne Geha? Are you kidding me?

--yep, kidding It was either her, Rich and Jay, Fred, or Mr Fables. The people/restaurant only someone from West, MI would know of Smile
ottojd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I adjusted my valves a half-turn. Still clicking at the 3rd cylinder. I adjusted the third 1.5 turns and it still is clicking. All were pumped up but one on the 4th. After running the engine again it too pumped up and I adjusted it.
Is it bad to have this valve clatter? It sounds like my beetle with the valves adjusted loose. What is causing this?
And by the way, Mr. Fables is no more Crying or Very sad
CF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the first thing to to before havung any more problems is to do a compression check.
the next thing to do is takea long drive -about 20 minunits mininum (sp)

than do the adjustment as per bob. yes a 1/2 -1 turn in after "0" lash has been set.

redo a compression test to make sure there is no change

that is it

readjust every 10,000 miles

Very Happy Very Happy
ottojd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so I still have not done a compression test (My tester puked. It was REALLY old)
I added some mystery oil and it seemed to quiet a bit, and my power has not diminished at all. It has actually been a bit smother.
However, the tick is coming from my valve. I think the exhaust valse on the 3rd cyl. And...lo and behold I found that the exhuast manifold gasket is leaking right by this cylinder. I thought to myself...hmm...maybe the sound is coming from there. I have ordered a new gasket (I remember bunging it up a little when mantling the engine).
Could the noise that sounds like a stuck valve (tickety-tickety from the rocker) be coming out this hole in the exhaust?
I know. I need to do a compression test, but I am waiting to buy one as good as my old one. The cash flow is beginning to wane after the 3 grand I have put into Wilbur this summer Sad
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: