Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

any body know a thing about auto sticks?
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jamestwo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 9:25 pm    Post subject: any body know a thing about auto sticks? Reply with quote

So got a new VW owner in town. her car will not change gears, the shifters acts like it's disconnected.

So I check the linkage and all is well, both under the shifter and the coupler under the rear seat look fine. The shift rod coming from the transaxle moves.

I'm pretty sure that a shift fork is broken inside the tranaxle, but wanted to be sure before taking the transaxle out.

Any ideas are welcomed. Very Happy
Alan_U
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The autostick is vacuum activated. If a hose is disconnected (I recall that "black box" thing on the passengers side engine compartment area) the car wont shift. Theres a screw on that thing that effects how quick it shifts too.

I cant remember because its been years since I've had one. I converted that semi auto to a manual stick 4 speed.

No more time for VW's.......
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: any body know a thing about auto sticks? Reply with quote

jamestwo wrote:
So got a new VW owner in town. her car will not change gears, the shifters acts like it's disconnected.

So I check the linkage and all is well, both under the shifter and the coupler under the rear seat look fine. The shift rod coming from the transaxle moves.

I'm pretty sure that a shift fork is broken inside the tranaxle, but wanted to be sure before taking the transaxle out.

Any ideas are welcomed. Very Happy

Are you trying to get a date with her? Laughing

The AutoStick has a clutch that is servo-operated. The servo is controlled by a solenoid. The solenoid is controlled by a switch at the stick up front. The switch activates the solenoid when you move the stick and joins the contacts together. The servo then pushes on the clutch.

You should still be able to rock the stick back and forth and engage the gears...when the car is on wheel stands.

check the hoses for tears and disconnect. The AutoStick is one of the simplest things to run. Rebuild however is something else. I used to do quite a few. There was no demand hardly on it so I do not bother with them anymore.

You should be able to power up the solenoid from the back by the 12V source of the coil. YOu can hear it actuate. The servo is just a big can with a diaphram...just needs factory adjustments. check to make sure the diaphram is not torn.

Good luck.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
The Noof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the shifter feels "lame", and moves freely within the shift pattern, I say the hockey stick is broken.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adjustment:
(They are large, so right-click on the pictures below, click "Save Picture As..." to save to your disk and then print them full size):

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: