Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Brake upgrade and lowering options (pics)
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
QtrMileJunky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 6:24 am    Post subject: Brake upgrade and lowering options (pics) Reply with quote

I have a 67 pan (with 65 body) with wide 5s and ball joints. The stock brakes SUCK and the front looks like a 4WD!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I want to make it stop better and lower it. It is not fast enough, driven enough or worth enough to get a $600+ disk brake kit. I do NOT want to mess with the beam either.

I heard that there was a drum upgrade from a bus or something.

1. what are my cheap brake improvement options? Cost?

2. I think I want to get drop spindles (67). How much are they, will they work with bigger drums? AND will my full leangth beam work with drops?

Thanks

Ian

Currently driving: 65 bug, 88 Mustang GT w/350HP 5.0, 95 BMW 325i, 77 F150 4x4, and a 2007 Focus Wagon
Alan Willis
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you mean by your brakes suck? With everything functioning prtoperly, stock VW brakes work fine. You can change the shoes to semi-metallic, and change the MC to a later model dual and add a '67 reservoir. The semi shoes grab better than OG shoes, and the dual MC has bigger chambers than a single MC which will apply more force to the shoes enabling better stopping power.
die schwarzen Schafe #666
aircooledberndoggie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know you dont wanna mess with the beam; but I removed and cut mine and it's actually really easy to do {66 ball joint} myself and had adjusters welded in . Welding $40.00 adjusters $40.00 {with shipping} from CIP1, and got 4 1/2 inches of drop. {The drop depends on the angle you weld in the adjusters}Dropped spindles will cost somewhere around $175.00 but the ride is way better. As for brakes.......Thats a whole other subject i also need to deal with Blue Bug ........Peace
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
henrym
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree on the stock brakes. I drive other cars with mombo disc brakes and I have to hand it to VW, those little drum brakes aren't actually that bad. If they are adjusted correctly and a good MC and plumbing, they do the job.

That being said, I am switching to discs in the front. Only because I am putting in dropped spindles and I figured while I have the thing apart, I might as well do the job right and get the discs. I real wallet bender though...ouch.
QtrMileJunky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I replaced the master and adjusted them and they suck. They are dangerous

Currently driving: 65 bug, 88 Mustang GT w/350HP 5.0, 95 BMW 325i, 77 F150 4x4, and a 2007 Focus Wagon
wethebmx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yah man, stock vw brakes work great. the brakes on my 62 rock, and they are all stock. new pads all around, wheel cylinders. they are nice. as far as lowering it. man, i just yanked outr the torsion bars. i think i did 5 in each tube. its rides rough, but definately liveable. and its free. alot of people say dont do it that way, but people used to do it like that all the time, just now, everyone narrows the beam, gets dropped spindles, disks. they all work great, but i guarntee you'll be pretty happy by going the cheap route.

David.

if you dont like the ride, you can always put the torsion bars back in ad go the expensive route
boogerbandit04
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, alot goes to USER ERROR!!! I just replaced the whole break system (drums, shoes, hoses) and to be honest, the drums are FINE!! They do the job really well, dangerous i dont know about, unless you tweeked something when working on them. And as far as lowering, get some drop spindels. It will go down about 2 inches and retain stock ride, but improve handeling a little. Dont have that kind of attitude about your car, anything you do to it is going to improve it value, so its not like your really flushing money down the shitter.
QtrMileJunky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK OK I will deff give the stock brakes another shot, maybe I will overhaul them. I just hate working on drum brakes Confused Every time I do I swear it will be the last!

Here is another question: I have some play in the front end, what parts should I change while I am in there to make this car feel more safe at high speeds? Got list?

Thanks!!!

rloaircool
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

QtrMileJunky wrote:
OK OK I will deff give the stock brakes another shot, maybe I will overhaul them. I just hate working on drum brakes Confused Every time I do I swear it will be the last!

Here is another question: I have some play in the front end, what parts should I change while I am in there to make this car feel more safe at high speeds? Got list?

Thanks!!!

Get CB dropped spindles.

http://cbperformance.com/catalog.asp?ProductID=478

You will also need 145s if you don't want to rub.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=131715

Go through the front end, replace everything that needs it. Check bearings, ball joints, shoes, drums, master cylinder to reservior line, brake hoses, wheel cylinders, drums, steering stabilizer, tie rod ends. Chances are you atleast need new tie rod ends.
dog_jr911
Swamp Donkey Assistant

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

get all around discs! its great!
my friend has a 72 bug, with new pads and he cant stop great, but he can.
i love my discs!
PO installed front, i installed back
back = $380
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: