Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Starting my swap
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rs4-380
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 7:46 am    Post subject: Starting my swap Reply with quote

Got a 96 impreza sport home tonight.

I actually feel bad, because there is really nothing wrong with it, and it would make a great winter/first car Crying or Very sad

I'm hoping my timeline on the swap is short because I can't fit the syncro inside my normal workspace, and cold weather and snow is coming soon. Considering the van currently runs great, and so does the donor, I am hoping that I can forego the usual small nagging torubleshooting issues that usually accompany a swap. I would assume that pulling the wbx is going to be the most time consuming part, and only because I can gaurantee that most of the bolts are rounded rusted and/or seized.

For what it's worth the wbx (87 2.1) will be for sale. As stated, it runs great and actually has alot of new parts.

Last edited by rs4-380 on Fri Nov 10, 2006 4:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck with your swap. Take lot's of pictures and keep us updated.

I'm headed for a similar swap in near future. I have already built my exhaust, done my wiring harness and shortened my oil pan. All that's left is to find the time to install it.

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maine can get awfully cold. Might be a good idea to wait until Spring. You got the perfect Winter car now! OR, you could ready the Suby motor in your regular (warm?) work space and have it all ready to install in Spring. I understand removing the Suby engine carefully and the wiring, takes a good bit of time. Pluse getting all the parts together takes a good bit of time too. Once you get all the stuff cleaned, rebuild or overhauled and ready to install, it just may be Spring by then.

So just how cheap did you get it? Which year and model is it?

Have fun!

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
fatboypaul
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might consider ordering everthing you need from the different vendors ASAP, are you familiar with Brent Weide's vanagon website? He lists everything one needs for a swap..... its a brilliant well written site. Good luck with the swap, I enjoy my conversion and the extra power everyday.
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fatboypaul wrote:
are you familiar with Brent Weide's vanagon website?

NO.

Can you post a URL?

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.weidefamily.net/vanagon/

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
fatboypaul
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try this,

http://www.weidefamily.net/vanagon/

I wouldn't have attempted my conversion without countless hours reading this guys well written website. Great sense of humour.
rs4-380
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow thanks for that link, I had done my research but never came across that.

I've ordered my conversion parts (smallcar) and my ej22 maintenance parts already so I expect to be seeing everything but the header by the middle of next week.

the donor is a 96 outback sport, it was 850$.
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

THANKS. I have SO MANY sites book marked, I don't know what is what anymore even though I have them in many segmented folders.

A brief look revealed a couple of nice ebay searches. WOW there sure are a lot of engines to get.

Gesus, though, I am yet still torn as to what to do about an engine. Stock engine hot rodded or a Suby. Dang.....

Oh well, I got some other projects to finish first before I even get close to doing anything with our Vanagon engine.

Go have LOTS of fun!

joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cold weather is a great time to do it.

I only say that because it was 17 degrees when I started my conversion. Here's my site, it's not all that informative, but you might find something you can use:

www.josephtrussell.com/Vanagon.html

A few tidbits that I learned from experience and with the help of the SubaruVanagon Yahoo group and Masters Brent Weide (www.weidefamily.net/Vanagon) and Tom Shiels(subaruvanagon.com):

Are you using the Smallcar engine mount or Kennedy? If using Smallcar, remember that the VW engine carrier is NOT symmetrical. it leans in a bit when installed the correct way.

Make sure to use threadlocker on those flywheel bolts. They will certainly back out otherwise.

The Kennedy intake plumbing pieces are hard plastic and it is a b*tch to get them to open up to go onto the Subaru intake as well as fit over the cut pieces of Subaru plumbing. Putting them in hot water softens them up enough to make them pliable.

Be careful not to break your brake booster valve when removing the VW engine--it's hard plastic and mine shattered into a million pieces in the cold because I wasn't careful.

The most important tip: Once you're finished, try not to go as fast as possible everywhere. You'll be a danger to yourself and everyone around you in a 105 MPH Vanagon Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Joe T.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lilweasel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet. I just got my EJ22 conversion running a month ago and just got back from a 2 week, 5,000 mile roadtrip. I am going to post details soon. I used smallcar mounts, tom shields coolant header and t-stat housing (very recommended) and the H&R accelerator linkage and radiator return line. Brent's site is the best recource I used. I'm still chasing a few codes. Give youreself plenty of time to do the wiring, as that was pretty time consuming.

Here's H&R for a few key parts:
http://www.vanperformance.com/catalog.htm

Also, I didn't end up getting a KEP radiator bleeder petcock, but will soon. That's highly reccommended.
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also used the Tom Shiels setup, and have had no cooling issues at all.

That radiator petcock is golden...Even non-conversion Vanagon owners should invest in one of those!

Joe T.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
klucz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you like the Suby, maybe keep an eye out for a WRX or STI motor, maybe even JDM. Then you'd have the best of both worlds. Good luck with the swap!
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK. Here it is in print. My buddy is making me a $300 deal on an EJ22 he surgically removed with all the goodies from the car that are needed. Included is the wiring nail board diagram to roll my own harness.

This has offically put me over my indecisive hump. Well, almost, that is. I still am vasalating. But, heck, for $300 I sure could not get much towards a built Vanagon engine. A built Vanagon engine does not come too close to the power of the stock EJ22. Westy's need power. In my case it will be over 50HP more than my anemic stock 1.9 is doing. Won't that be a kick in the Arsche? Or, at least, I won't lose money if I sell the engine!

So here I too start to investigate this route more completely.......UGH....

I guess I will start with the harness. Or do I just spend the $450 or $750 other places want to this task? Heck I are an Enginerd, I ought to be able to handle a harness, eh?

See this is another one of the power of the internet things happening.

I am not sure whether I should be happy or lament the fact I got a lot of smarts to absorb.

Wish me luck......

levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you also get the vin #?
With the auto tranny you might want to make the 2 cut modification to the governor to change the shift points. I did this and it made a big difference. Without the cuts it shifted almost immediately into both 2nd and 3rd.
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

levi wrote:

Why? Is it important?

levi wrote:
With the auto tranny you might want to make the 2 cut modification to the governor to change the shift points. I did this and it made a big difference. Without the cuts it shifted almost immediately into both 2nd and 3rd.

I intend to. I read about that already. My van is in 3rd so fast anyways, it makes me wonder why there is even a second gear....

Also, ditto the auto trans cooler mod. 24 row Mesa cooler and a few hose parts and a pair of AN to metric adaptors. Got the adaptors now want a deal on the cooler.

I am going to be getting parts for a long time, I think. First it will be the harness construction, which I think I can handle.

wbx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

r39o wrote:

Wish me luck......

Honestly, if i wasn't planning on the TDI, i'd be doing a suby. Good engine, and good choice. I think you've made the right decision given your skills.

Good luck!

-Damon
As such, it is of the earth,
And if i need to, I can let my Van go.
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anybody is looking for an alternative to SmallCar, check out Outback Motors. ( http://www.outbackmotors.com/index.html )

They deal in mostly sand rail applications but if you call and talk to them, they are very well versed in all facets of Subaru conversions. Their parts are top quality at very reasonable prices. They sell adapters, shortened pans, exhaust parts, etc. for Vanagon conversions. I purchased my adapter, flywheel and clutch from them. They were VERY helpful and curtious. Shipping was prompt and the parts are top notch.

levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

r39o wrote:
levi wrote:

Why? Is it important?

Could be.
If it's not too late you might want to write it down (like maybe on the ecu).
It can come in real handy when you need parts.
At the subaruvanagon groups type in vin# to the postings and you'll see some of the trouble folks have had by not having it.
lilweasel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh yeah, also pull a connector from the speakers while you've got the car. You can use it to hook up a laptop to your select monitor plug. I'm doing that soon. See below:

http://www.graphics.cornell.edu/~v/b10scan/
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: