Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

2.2 GoWesty, More Power? Any Probs.?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Petervw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to put a damper on what you are going to do...just trying to spare one from any possible future grief here.. the reason I asked how many miles are on the motor is because the labor etc. $3500 as you quoted is very expensive when you are exchanging old VW for old subi...It is good that you may get another spare motor and I hope the complete wireing including the harness and ECU etc..hopefully when the oil pan is taken off along with valve covers all the internals are clean along with the covers...and if not, who knows what condition the crank bearings will be like, maybe all scratched up and then now you into a complete rebuild...a good whack on the side of a car is enough to alter the sensitive capabilities of the FI system to give it a continually "miss" at the stop lite, makeing it near impossible to hunt down the problem without exchanging the harness and every other FI part...I know you get the picture so I will stop here and any thing that I have said comes out of my own learning experience...go new or slightly used on everything...Good luck...
r39o wrote:
100K miles on the $300 engine and all the goodies.
Car was hit hard on the side.
I think I am getting another EJ22, also.
Unklnown anything about it, at this point.
I will be getting it with some other goodies I need.
I am going this route because I can afford to play at these prices!
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is not a lot of magic involved. I will do a leak down before going too far. It is only mechanical and electrical things. No big deal. There is plenty of info and support. A 100K mile engine is not considered worn, if I recall for a Suby. Make no matter it will all be cleaned, inspected and evaluated first. As long as I have the goodies that go with the motor, I can always get another or a JDM one if needed. There is a Suby wrecking yard here near too. I am not worried.

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
Westy914
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting discussion. I'm researching this topic because eventually I'd like to flat tow my 914 with my '87 Westy. Anybody have any experience pulling a light vehicle with a Vanagon? It will be important to keep a strong low to mid range torque curve.

I'll also be reseaching conversion shops (if that's the way I go). Anybody got any recommendations in the Seattle-Portland area? This is my 1st post on TheSamba. I like the nice reasoned tone of the discussion.

Marc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Westy914 wrote:
Interesting discussion. I'm researching this topic because eventually I'd like to flat tow my 914 with my '87 Westy. Anybody have any experience pulling a light vehicle with a Vanagon? It will be important to keep a strong low to mid range torque curve.

I'll also be reseaching conversion shops (if that's the way I go). Anybody got any recommendations in the Seattle-Portland area? This is my 1st post on TheSamba. I like the nice reasoned tone of the discussion.

Marc

I think smallcarperformance is not too far from you, and they do a lot of Subaru conversions according to their website. Not familiar with their work, though I have heard from a couple former Small Car customers they had some minor gripes about the work, but their Vanagons are still running. Check them out, and look around online.

http://www.smallcar.com/

Lundy
fatboypaul
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Westy914, you may want to join the yahoo subaruvanagon group, every question you could possible want to ask about the subaru conversion is always welcomed. A wealth of knowledge.
Thanks, Paul.

EJ22 in 90 Syncro wannabe.
Westy914
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Lundy and Paul. I'd looked at SmallCars web site and was impressed. I'll check out that yahoo site.

I wish I felt confident that building a VW wbx would give enough hp but I don't think it's in the cards. Besides, the wbx technology is getting older and the subie is still being developed. I love the Westy package but I really want to hit the road with the 914 in tow (it will stay air cooled BTW).

Marc
Cat and Walter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

as rare as these things are getting my thought is keep it original. there is value in original. some upgrades are ok as long as they are in the same vain, as in 1.9 to 2.1 etc.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I viewed all my unique cars as rare or collectors items, I would go more nuts than I already am! I hardly see any Rabbits on the road anymore. So my 79 GTi is extra rare. I see a few VW Caddys here and there, but all the ones I see are ratty. So my very clean 82 LX (in GTi trim) is rare, too. I own some old Mercedes SLs and I know those are rare based on production numbers the prices they go for. My only cars I consider rare are my old Mercedes. They made zillions of Vanagons. There will always be some pristine Vanagons some where which were garaged since new and have almost no miles on them. So prehaps maybe in 20 - 40 years they might be considered rare. Then again, I might not make it that long. So I am doing what I like and am having fun. I'll let some restorer undo all my evil mods when I am pushing up flowers. I supsect we'll all be running fuel cells in a couple of decades anyways. Then all these rare cars will have a rare fuel you will be paying $20 / gal for novelty use or something obsurd like that. Go have fun.....

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
Dogpilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to start a flame war or anything, I just wanted to point out something. While Vanagons were produced in high numbers, so where Pintos and Vegas. I have to admit, I turn and look when I see them (I also point them out to my kids and expalin what a total piece of cr*p they where), they are now very rare indeed. While produced in Large numbers, they where (for good reason) recycled, in large numbers.

Rare can be for very different reasons.
08 Range Rover SC
08 VW Rabbit S
1951 O-1G
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
D Clymer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vanagons are indeed becoming rare. Just do a search on AutoTrader.com and you only get 3-4 pages of results for a 80-91 search.

I am all in favor of preserving the good models - Multivan, Carat, Bluestar, Whitestar, Westy, Syncro, sunroof, etc. However, having already converted a Bluestar to Subaru 2.5 power, I can honestly and truthfully say that the van could easily be returned to stock WBX fitment at any time should it become a collector's item down the road. Modifications to the body were minimal. Just a few holes drilled here and there and the area or the firewall for the pipes to pass through was trimmed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cat and Walter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They made zillions of Vanagons

is that all?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
klucz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vanagons will become collectors items the day after you sell yours! Brick wall
EXITSTRATEGY
Samba Member

Location: rolling thunder river company, nantahalla gorge. NC

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what is the EJ22?
riceye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Subaru

There's gonna be some changes made.

“I find that things usually go well right up until the moment they don't.” - Ahwahnee

"Quality isn't method. It's the goal toward which the method is aimed." - Socrates, later quoted by R.M. Pirsig
ChesterKV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EXITSTRATEGY wrote:
what is the EJ22?

Subaru 2.2 liter waterboxer engine......the one that they are most famous for here in the U.S.
1992 Subaru Legacy EJ22 boxer motor installed.... van is now sold.... currently playing with a 1987 Toyota MR2 with 1.6 liter twin-cam motor. Better than the Subaru boxers....... I'm impressed. Well, okay, in an "apples and oranges" kind of way. Smile
kenmag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My EJ22 in the bus.. Smallcar kit. Tom Shiels SS header, reverse coolant manifold, wiring harness and thermostat by-pass flange. KEP filter box and intake duct.

So far no problems in almost 1 year since conversion.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

95 jetta GLX
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: