Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Today in Ghia hunting history...
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 45, 46, 47 ... 56, 57, 58  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: Today in ghia hunting history... Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:
^^^^^Not sure what price would represent a bargain Loren...free? Wink

Where I live, if the car doesn't run you have to actually pay someone to come haul it away. Smile

Knowing the skills and resourcefulness that has been demonstrated by some regulars here in the Ghia forum, though, I have no doubt that there are many good parts and pieces left on that '61 Baja Ghia.
If anyone knows what those still-yet-valuable parts are, Loren surely does!

... and Hey - at least it wasn't cut all the way down into a "golf cart" like that October 1955 Ghia listed in the Karmann Ghia Lowlight Registry. Shocked
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: Today in ghia hunting history... Reply with quote

There's a 1960 Ghia coming up for auction this week at Barrett-Jackson in Palm Beach, FL

http://www.barrett-jackson.com/Events/Event/Details/1960-VOLKSWAGEN-KARMANN-GHIA--205895
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
PeteSC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in ghia hunting history... Reply with quote

Clean-looking car, I like it. Only missed the air cleaner by 180 degrees and a nut & bolt.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in ghia hunting history... Reply with quote

Went for 40K...

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in ghia hunting history... Reply with quote

aa390392 wrote:
Went for 40K...

Um...$48400. Strange we don't get B&J owners coming on here to boast about their beautiful new Ghias. Who are these people? Confused
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 4:49 am    Post subject: Re: Today in ghia hunting history... Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:
aa390392 wrote:
Went for 40K...

Um...$48400. Strange we don't get B&J owners coming on here to boast about their beautiful new Ghias. Who are these people? Confused
People that can afford to spend that much money on a Highlight Ghia can likely afford to pay someone else to come on here and brag for them!
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 5:44 am    Post subject: Re: Today in ghia hunting history... Reply with quote

Why buy an old Ghia when a similar spend can get you this year's Audi A4 Premium Plus quattro Manual? I bet it's nothing to do with being stupid Laughing but in five years time I know between this Ghia and the latest A4, which car is the one that will retain its value.
Nicholas
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: Today in ghia hunting history... Reply with quote

sputnick60 wrote:
Why buy an old Ghia when a similar spend can get you this year's Audi A4 Premium Plus quattro Manual? I bet it's nothing to do with being stupid Laughing but in five years time I know between this Ghia and the latest A4, which car is the one that will retain its value.
Nicholas

Yes-----Audis seldom depreciate.
KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: Today in ghia hunting history... Reply with quote

iowegian wrote:
sputnick60 wrote:
Nicholas

Yes-----Audis seldom depreciate.

Surprisingly, those mid 1980s Audi Quattro Coupes are quickly gaining in value, and I've recently seen several listed for sale very close to the final auction price of that 1960 Karmann Ghia.
aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: Today in ghia hunting history... Reply with quote

Pure investments folks that have big $ have folks like Wayne Carine < sp. To buy sell and go to auctions for them, it's more of a numbers game for them I suspect? We folks like to drive and use are habits, I know I do..what say you.
Cheers
Thomas

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet
Evil_Fiz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in ghia hunting history... Reply with quote

I say let them keep jacking up the prices. Most, if not all of us here, already have our "Investments." If and when we decide to sell we will benefit from their loose spending habits with the added bonus of having enjoyed our investments thoroughly until the moment arrives. I am a long way from enjoying mine but the recent developments in the value of Ghias have made me rethink my resto-mod intentions. I am leaning more and more towards a near stock restoration with easily reversible mods ONLY. Plus I will most likely keep all the OE stuff that gets replaced. Thank you to all the investors for saving me from myself.

See my build on TheSamba at:
The K_R_A_K_E_N_N : a 70 Ghia Convertible reinterpreted
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mtinie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in ghia hunting history... Reply with quote

I've been hunting for a second rare Ghia to add to the stable. How much rarer can I get than the ultra-elusive 1976 model? Wink

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2050608

Does anyone know the story behind that car? Is there a typo in the ad, or does the seller really think they have a "1976" KG for sale?
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 10:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in ghia hunting history... Reply with quote

Mtinie wrote:
I've been hunting for a second rare Ghia to add to the stable. How much rarer can I get than the ultra-elusive 1976 model? Wink

Does anyone know the story behind that car? Is there a typo in the ad, or does the seller really think they have a "1976" KG for sale?

Hmmm, I told that guy immediately to edit his ad to fix the year and how to determine the year using the serial #.
No response and I guess he didn't fix it yet.

Maybe we should figure out the year for him. Smile Any guesses?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 12:03 am    Post subject: Re: Today in ghia hunting history... Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
Mtinie wrote:

Hmmm, I told that guy immediately to edit his ad to fix the year and how to determine the year using the serial #.
No response and I guess he didn't fix it yet.

Maybe we should figure out the year for him. Smile Any guesses?

Link

Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
theghiagirl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in ghia hunting history... Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
There's a 1960 Ghia coming up for auction this week at Barrett-Jackson in Palm Beach, FL

http://www.barrett-jackson.com/Events/Event/Details/1960-VOLKSWAGEN-KARMANN-GHIA--205895

I believe this car was for sale about 7 years ago here on The Samba and sold to a VW dealership. The car is Seagull Grey and was restored by a guy (Mike) in Central California.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kncnc33
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in ghia hunting history... Reply with quote

I own a 1958 Ghia coup and some parts for it. It is NOT RUNNING and been in a storage yard outdoors for 5 years so I'm not sure what it looks like. I want to sell it because my son has no interest in restoring it. Any idea on what its worth? I'm going tomorrow 6/3/17 to take pictures and tow it home. I'll take inventory/pics of the parts I have as well and post them asap. Any info will be greatly appreciated.
It was my first car I purchased in High School in 1977, and I live in Southern CA. Thanks!
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:02 am    Post subject: Re: Today in ghia hunting history... Reply with quote

kncnc33 wrote:
I own a 1958 Ghia coup and some parts for it. It is NOT RUNNING and been in a storage yard outdoors for 5 years so I'm not sure what it looks like. I want to sell it because my son has no interest in restoring it. Any idea on what its worth? I'm going tomorrow 6/3/17 to take pictures and tow it home. I'll take inventory/pics of the parts I have as well and post them asap. Any info will be greatly appreciated.
It was my first car I purchased in High School in 1977, and I live in Southern CA. Thanks!

I've had to edit your posting a little as it would have read like a for sale ad (strictly not allowed in the technical forums) but as a request for information on pricing, allowable. Smile

As a parts car, depending on how much is viable from a couple of thousand $ upwards. Pictures and inventory would of course give a better idea.

We look forward to seeing pictures...please start a separate Topic asking for pricing advice when you are ready. It will make interesting viewing.
67Vw2387
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in ghia hunting history... Reply with quote

Couple coupes in Virginia
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in ghia hunting history... Reply with quote

Spotted this Ghia this past winter ( someone left the Garage door open, VW Radar NAILED it Laughing ) it is now out in the driveway, nice ding above the d.side head light,no d.side door handle, Then I see it is for sale

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2062035

.... pass.. Confused

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
dave@ztech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in ghia hunting history... Reply with quote

Hi everyone,
First time posting, so please be patient, also really bad speller and slow typer, anyway, found a 2nd owner 1971 Karmann Ghia, in yellow, has been parked for over 20 years , thanks god , in a garage, it has 94000 miles 2nd owner purchased the car in 1976 when the car had 51,692 miles on it , he drove it and , he says replaced the engine at 91924 miles on 6/28/82 he then placed approximately 2500 miles on it before it was parked , it was last registered in 97, here are some pictures if I can figure out how to post them

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 45, 46, 47 ... 56, 57, 58  Next
Jump to:
Page 46 of 58

Jump to: