Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Today in Ghia hunting history...
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 46, 47, 48 ... 56, 57, 58  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dave@ztech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in ghia hunting history... Reply with quote

Hi, forgot to post a picture of the engine compartment, I rebuilt the fuel pump, and installed the carb. , that the owner said was the correct one, car starts and runs , however having a problem figuring out , how to adjust the idle , still reading all the books, just not sure if the replacement carb, is the same as the VW german carb that I took off
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in ghia hunting history... Reply with quote

Welcome to The Samba Dave. If you're going to hang around for a while start a new topic on your Ghia...it'll get swallowed up in this long thread.

The car looks pretty straight, pictures safely in The Samba Gallery and your spelling looks fine...perfect start. Wink
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in ghia hunting history... Reply with quote

Nice find, that looks really clean.

It looks like that paint(?) on the rear fender might just buff off?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dave@ztech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:07 am    Post subject: Re: Today in ghia hunting history... Reply with quote

Hi, and thanks for the kind words and comments, and yes that paint on the rear looks like some sort of house paint , I noticed the shutters on his house were the same color , today I will clean everything then post , hopefully , a cleaner car!!
Thanks
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in ghia hunting history... Reply with quote

AHHH the dreaded ( by some) Auto stick !! Nice find !! A Mass. car, how is the rust ??
I swapped a 4 spd into an auto stick in a Yellow '70 Ghia in my apartment complex drive way in 1983, had to weld in a clutch cable tube, I got all the parts for free from a friend of my Dads, my neighbors thought I was nuts.... Rolling Eyes Laughing

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in ghia hunting history... Reply with quote

Quote:
AHHH the dreaded ( by some) Auto stick !! Nice find !!

LOL Crukab, I noticed the pedal and the extra hardware in the engine bay...but i wasnt going to say anything. Smile
You know, they say they are much more rare. Of course they have their fans too.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
dave@ztech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in ghia hunting history... Reply with quote

Hi,
Yes I am hoping that all the removals of the auto, will push up the value!! Haa HA, that said, it looks like the car is very original , and I hope that is a good thing!??
dave@ztech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in ghia hunting history... Reply with quote

Hi,
Regarding the rust, the front and floor boards are fine, however, there is old repairs in the bottom of wheel wells, the spots they sell the patch panels for, other than that it actually looks good for such an old car, as it was always stored inside
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in ghia hunting history... Reply with quote

Congrats on the purchase Dave
dave@ztech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in ghia hunting history... Reply with quote

Hi,
Thanks for the positive comments, I am having problems with the carb, however, I will start the post, after a search, in the correct forum. These cars, as simple as they seem , are plenty complicated , hats off to all of you that have running, problem free cars!!
KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: Today in ghia hunting history... Reply with quote

dave@ztech wrote:
Hi,
Thanks for the positive comments, I am having problems with the carb, however, I will start the post, after a search, in the correct forum. These cars, as simple as they seem , are plenty complicated , hats off to all of you that have running, problem free cars!!

For the owners of many of the beautiful, restored Karmann Ghias that you are likely referring to, there is no such thing as a "problem free car".
As they work their way down the list, however, the "problems" eventually become small enough that they become invisible to the untrained eye. Smile

As far as converting an original Autostick Karmann Ghia to a manual transaxle in hopes of increasing its resale value, I'd say that notion was up for debate.
In theory, aren't Ghias (or pretty much any other "collector's car") more valuable when they are as close to the way they originally left the factory?

Also, as others have already pointed out, the Autostick Karmann Ghia survivor is a much more rare animal ... partially because many previous owners were thoughtful enough to convert them to a manual transaxle. Wink
dave@ztech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: Today in ghia hunting history... Reply with quote

Hi,
Thanks for stating something that I also thought was true, original is always best, and besides, there are lots of people now , that are not even learning to drive standard transmission cars, so an autostick, will e the best of both worlds
Thanks
jwold
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in ghia hunting history... Reply with quote

Not certain, but I think the carbs that went on auto-sticks were specific to auto sticks so aftermarkets or replacements might not work as well, I'd have the original re-built if having issues. I had an AS ghia years ago. I liked it, just used the low gear for first.
dave@ztech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in ghia hunting history... Reply with quote

Hi,
Thanks for the tip, as the VW German carb, that I removed, see pictures posted earlier, has different PICT numbers , I just though , that had to do with age, older ones , had there number, and newer ones had there number, and it looked the same.
I will be back after it again this weekend, to see if the electric choke is correct, and if that is correct and I still can't get it adjusted, then a rebuild it is !!

Thanks
Redlabel6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:46 am    Post subject: Re: Today in ghia hunting history... Reply with quote

You are correct on the carb. Autostick has an additional vacuum port for the solenoid valve.
Rebuild you existing. My '73 Autostick has a Solex 34PICT3 carb.
d
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in ghia hunting history... Reply with quote

I bought and towed home a particularly rough '57 today. As with all beat up ghias, it is way worse than it looks in these photos.

VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: Today in ghia hunting history... Reply with quote

Quote:
As with all beat up ghias, it is way worse than it looks in these photos

I'm not sure it's worse than it looks. Wink Congrats on the find!
Desirable year, and a lot of work to bring that one back. Looks like its been hit from every angle, I didnt think ghias were popular for demolition derbys. Sad What are the plans?
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in ghia hunting history... Reply with quote

c21darrel wrote:
Quote:
As with all beat up ghias, it is way worse than it looks in these photos

Desirable year...

Darrel, Is that Ghia really a 57? The fresh air vents look like those on the later Ghias.
Loren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Ghia hunting history... Reply with quote

The nose section was replaced with a later one at some point. Very common, even back in the day because it was easier for dealerships to source the "new" style nose sections.
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Ghia hunting history... Reply with quote

Concur, Id believe Lind before i would go on nostrils only to determine year.

Unrelated but related to Today in Ghia hunting history...
I was at Home Depot this morning, as I was walking out in the parking lot i saw a convertible ghia coming towards me. It was older, repainted but a lot of original still in it. I walked in front and kind of forced the guy to pull over to the side so I could talk to him. (Yeah, I guess I was being "that" guy Embarassed )
He was super nice, pulled into a parking spot and talked to me for 15 minutes in the hot sun. It was a 60 or 61, he had had it a while. The previous owner, an older women neighbor of his always had him help her keep it running, it was her daily driver. He helped her out for many years. After she passed the family gave the car to him Shocked . Really nice guy, he couldnt/wouldnt sell it to me because of all the memories...and he obviously enjoyed driving the car, even on a 90* day Cool
But...he did give me a lead on a coupe Smile . I was only mildly interested because I am pretty deep into a Double cab project now. He showed me pictures on his phone, it was a lowlight. Needless to say I will be following up onthe lead. Smile
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 46, 47, 48 ... 56, 57, 58  Next
Jump to:
Page 47 of 58

Jump to: