Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Today in Ghia hunting history...
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 47, 48, 49 ... 56, 57, 58  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Ghia hunting history... Reply with quote

c21darrel wrote:
Concur, Id believe Lind before i would go on nostrils only to determine year.

Unrelated but related to Today in Ghia hunting history...
I was at Home Depot this morning, as I was walking out in the parking lot i saw a convertible ghia coming towards me. It was older, repainted but a lot of original still in it. I walked in front and kind of forced the guy to pull over to the side so I could talk to him. (Yeah, I guess I was being "that" guy Embarassed )
He was super nice, pulled into a parking spot and talked to me for 15 minutes in the hot sun. It was a 60 or 61, he had had it a while. The previous owner, an older women neighbor of his always had him help her keep it running, it was her daily driver. He helped her out for many years. After she passed the family gave the car to him Shocked . Really nice guy, he couldnt/wouldnt sell it to me because of all the memories...and he obviously enjoyed driving the car, even on a 90* day Cool
But...he did give me a lead on a coupe Smile . I was only mildly interested because I am pretty deep into a Double cab project now. He showed me pictures on his phone, it was a lowlight. Needless to say I will be following up onthe lead. Smile

If you're looking to follow your dream never miss an opportunity to talk to another Ghia owner. That's networking in action.

Good luck Darrel. Smile
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Ghia hunting history... Reply with quote

Thanks John, Im sure seeing all the pics from HO 2017 helped light the early ghia fire again. Smile
Good news, Dean the guy with the vert, called me this morning with directions to the ghia. Previously he could not recall exact location, so he drove by and called me with cross streets. Very Happy
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
trelms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Ghia hunting history... Reply with quote

Can't wait to hear more. I've also started the itch for a LL vert. Not sure how or when but my eyes are always open.
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Ghia hunting history... Reply with quote

^^^Its a coupe. A LL, but a coupe. The vert guy wouldnt sell Twisted Evil
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Ghia hunting history... Reply with quote

c21darrel wrote:
^^^Its a coupe. A LL, but a coupe. The vert guy wouldnt sell Twisted Evil

..at least not yet. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Ghia hunting history... Reply with quote

c21darrel wrote:
Thanks John, Im sure seeing all the pics from HO 2017 helped light the early ghia fire again. Smile
Good news, Dean the guy with the vert, called me this morning with directions to the ghia. Previously he could not recall exact location, so he drove by and called me with cross streets. Very Happy

Please post the address. Other Ghia folks can stop by and look at it in person before you buy it so you don't waste your time and money on it if it turns out to be a piece of junk.
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Ghia hunting history... Reply with quote

Yeah, maybe someone can go by and check it out for me. Iowegian? you available? Text me the pics. Wink
KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Ghia hunting history... Reply with quote

c21darrel wrote:
Yeah, maybe someone can go by and check it out for me. Iowegian? you available? Text me the pics. Wink

If only there were apps that could run on a flip phone, then weegie could get an app that would make his Motorola Razr simulate the old bag phone that he loved so much.

... well, maybe if one of his grandchildren helped him load that app anyway.

BTW, has he ever told you about that 1954 Porsche 356 Cabriolet that he used to own in the early 1970s?

He sold it for $900 and felt slightly guilty for making that large of a profit. Smile

You may not "need" another project vehicle just yet, Darrel, but obviously you'd be "wise" to pick up any low light Karmann Ghia (either cabriolet or coupe) now before the prices really start to get crazy.

If you pass on a LL now because it was "just a coupe", you're likely to realize later that having passed up an opportunity to buy one for what in retrospect will surely seem like an incredibly cheap price is only slightly better than actually having owned one for a while and then selling it before the values went through the roof!
Wink
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Ghia hunting history... Reply with quote

KGCoupe wrote:
c21darrel wrote:

If only there were apps that could run on a flip phone, then weegie could get an app that would make his Motorola Razr simulate the old bag phone that he loved so much.

... well, maybe if one of his grandchildren helped him load that app anyway.

BTW, has he ever told you about that 1954 Porsche 356 Cabriolet that he used to own in the early 1970s?

He sold it for $900 and felt slightly guilty for making that large of a profit. Smile

You may not "need" another project vehicle just yet, Darrel, but obviously you'd be "wise" to pick up any low light Karmann Ghia (either cabriolet or coupe) now before the prices really start to get crazy.

If you pass on a LL now because it was "just a coupe", you're likely to realize later that having passed up an opportunity to buy one for what in retrospect will surely seem like an incredibly cheap price is only slightly better than actually having owned one for a while and then selling it before the values went through the roof!
Wink

1979, actually, but 356's were just goofy old cars then.

Low-Lites have those funny little taillights, don't they?
I bought one of those taillights a few years ago for 5 bucks at a swap meet in Sandwich, Illinois (I am not making this up) , but I gave it away.
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Ghia hunting history... Reply with quote

Quote:

Is it true when his grand kid asked him to load the app...he walked an armful of clothes to the washing machine and Chuck-ed them in?
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Ghia hunting history... Reply with quote

c21darrel wrote:
Quote:

Is it true when his grand kid asked him to load the app...he walked an armful of clothes to the washing machine and Chuck-ed them in?

Now you're just being mean. Crying or Very sad
Our washer is quite up to date-------bought it brand new in 1984. The Maytag dryer, on the other hand, is "vintage". Bought it used when we got married in 1966. As the man says "it's only original once".
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Ghia hunting history... Reply with quote

We are of the same cloth. Smile
My grandparents died over 25 years ago. I am still using both the washer and dryer I "inherited" from them. I had to replace the dryer's electric motor and the belt once. I guess its how we can afford German automotive engineering. Wink
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Ghia hunting history... Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
dickie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Ghia hunting history... Reply with quote

I learned of this a couple of years ago, and brought it home this summer. Pretty sweet overall...The rebuilt engine is about ready to roll...still looking for all the chrome bits and pieces that aren't there, as well as that rear tail light assembly? Anyone?????Thanks. Title says 1957. Been sitting since the early 90s when the owner did a bit of body and paint work, as well as rebuild the 36hp. The owner is very cool and gracious, and agreed to part with it.

Fiatdude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Ghia hunting history... Reply with quote

Very Very Nice
flghiaprs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:16 pm    Post subject: Itch to start looking again. Reply with quote

Started looking again for Ghia to buy and restore (not original). Want to try to find a 68-70 convertible in decent shape. Had a 68 back when I was 15 and can't seem to get it out of my head.

Have not seen anything local yet, mostly looking online. Things are looking a little high for rust out cars. Shocked
calexican
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Ghia hunting history... Reply with quote

https://elpaso.craigslist.org/cto/d/karmann-ghia/6481514005.html

right here in el paso! that's about what i paid for mine 8 years ago...
Bruxist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Ghia hunting history... Reply with quote

Have bought 1964 Ghia from Denver,Colorado I am trying to find old owners contact email, so I can find more info on the car.
I am in the uk.
The previous owners name is Chris r Hoffman and lives in s. oscola(?) st Denver ,Colorado if you know him email me
[email protected]
Thank you... Very Happy
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Ghia hunting history... Reply with quote

Bruxist wrote:
Have bought 1964 Ghia from Denver,Colorado I am trying to find old owners contact email, so I can find more info on the car.
I am in the uk.
The previous owners name is Chris r Hoffman and lives in s. oscola(?) st Denver ,Colorado if you know him email me
[email protected]
Thank you... Very Happy

http://www.addresses.com/people/chris+hoffman/2885444834 They charge for the detailed info...but you could try the phone number (303) 695-7759
Bruxist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:52 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Ghia hunting history... Reply with quote

Thank you very much,John.

Heres the car
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 47, 48, 49 ... 56, 57, 58  Next
Jump to:
Page 48 of 58

Jump to: