Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fuel Tank Pressure
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bigbus01
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 9:57 am    Post subject: Fuel Tank Pressure Reply with quote

I have a 66 bus and lately I have been having problems with fuel leaking out of the throttle plate area of my carb when I shut the bus off and let it sit for a while. It is really a pain, I don't want to bring the car into the garage for hours after running it (it stinks up the house).

I have tried two carbs (one is brand new) on it and I still have the problem. I have narrowed it down to pressure being built up in the gas tank as the engine heats it up after I shut it off. If I remove the cap (several times over several hours), I relieve the pressure and the carb stops leaking (it is a lot of pressure). I have bought a new cap (for a Honda--couldn't find one for the bus) and it didn't help either.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a vented (bi-directional) gas cap for the bus? Is there a way to vent the tank in such a way that I don't throw fuel out of the vent?

Thanks,
Bigbus
60 Mercedes 190SL
campingbox Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Tank Pressure Reply with quote

bigbus01 wrote:
I have a 66 bus and lately I have been having problems with fuel leaking out of the throttle plate area of my carb when I shut the bus off and let it sit for a while. It is really a pain, I don't want to bring the car into the garage for hours after running it (it stinks up the house).

I have tried two carbs (one is brand new) on it and I still have the problem. I have narrowed it down to pressure being built up in the gas tank as the engine heats it up after I shut it off. If I remove the cap (several times over several hours), I relieve the pressure and the carb stops leaking (it is a lot of pressure). I have bought a new cap (for a Honda--couldn't find one for the bus) and it didn't help either.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a vented (bi-directional) gas cap for the bus? Is there a way to vent the tank in such a way that I don't throw fuel out of the vent?

Thanks,
Bigbus

Yeah, you need a vented gas cap. I'm sure you could drill a hole in yours or buy a new one.
Ian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the cap for the oil filler. I put a new cork in it. It fits fine and leaves enough room that the fumes are allowed to escape.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stocknazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would not take the pressure in your tank too lightly. i have had a tank implode in one of my busses due to a non vented cap, it started leaking and had to be changed. vent your cap right away, or better yet get an og cap and put it on your bus.

"When the people are afraid of the government, that's tyranny. But when the government is afraid of the people, that's liberty."
"Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God."

Thomas Jefferson
bigbus01
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies.

I have been using a Honda Accord cap for years but it has recently stopped venting (plugged?). I bought a new one and it acts the same way. I found a bus cap on the internet which looks like the original cap I had years ago (lost/gone at this point). That cap looks like it vents at the two tabls that hold the cap on.

I'm worried about drilling a hole in the cap since when it is full and hot, it has leaked to the ground (I don't want to create a fountain) in the past. I tried leaving the cap slightly loose and that takes care of the pressure problem, I don't want it to come off though.

Has anyone vented a tank similar to what was done in the newer bugs (with the charcoal canister, etc.)? Is that worth the effort or is it a bad idea?

Bigbus
60 Mercedes 190SL
kcabtsaf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wolfsburg West 1955-1967 Gas cap - Part #211 201 551 - $8.00 US
vw7266
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kcabtsaf wrote:
Wolfsburg West 1955-1967 Gas cap - Part #211 201 551 - $8.00 US

thats what i have on mine now...and it had pressure the when i pulled the cap off yesterday...the bus had only ran 5-10 min. max
bigbus01
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I'll pick one up. I drilled two holes in the Honda cap I bought. One hole was drilled from the inside and one was from the outside of the cap. I drilled them offset so they didn't line up. I tried it and it worked ok, only smells a little bit but there is no more pressure. I also checked at the base of the carb and there is no fuel now. I'll try that for a while and see if I can live with it.

Bigbus
60 Mercedes 190SL
Stocknazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

glad to hear you stopped the pressure in your tank. if you are worried about the gas spilling out, just dont top off your tank.

"When the people are afraid of the government, that's tyranny. But when the government is afraid of the people, that's liberty."
"Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God."

Thomas Jefferson
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: