Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Towing Transporter Behind Motorhome
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Towing Transporter Behind Motorhome Reply with quote

airschooled wrote:
alman72 wrote:
the shift lock from WW. it states it fits up to a 73. Is there a difference in the shifters after 73?? i was not aware if there was. maybe on the stamping on the floor?

Not in a Type 2, but there may be differences in the Types 1/3/4 platform.

Robbie

so the "thru 73" is probably wrong? link again, below.
https://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=ZVW36A

glad to hear there is no difference in bus years, because i grabbed a low mileage shifter out of a bus a couple years ago as a spare, but don't recall what year i pulled it from. I have a 73
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Towing Transporter Behind Motorhome Reply with quote

I'm not aware of any differences, but the automatic was introduced in '73… The floor may have changed shape? Or the winged lockout plate may not be compatible with the locking shift housing…
🤷
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Towing Transporter Behind Motorhome Reply with quote

What goes on under the floor changed in 73, but I've never noticed a difference above.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: Towing Transporter Behind Motorhome Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
many/most US states have "towed vehicle" brake laws as well.
in fact your towing vehicle will have rules on how much it can tow braked/unbraked in it's owners manual. and while you won't necessarily get repo'd and jailed it will get into ugly liability in the event of an 'incident'

but there are Brake buddy solutions that go in the Drivers side of the vehicle and press the brake pedal of the tow'd for you. hooked to the Towing vehicle by an 'umbilical' that is tied to the Towing vehicles brakes by a variety of means.

https://www.google.com/search?q=rv+towing+brake+systems

they often come up on Craigslist or Marketplace as take outs. so you can get a decent deal on a used unit.

https://www.happy-wanderers.com/articles/rv-and-travel-related/112-auxiliary-brake-laws
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Although an interesting idea, these "brake buddy" solutions would not be legal in Great Britain either and similarly in the European Union.

Nigel A. Skeet

Independent tutor (semi-retired) of mathematics, physics, technology & engineering for secondary, tertiary, further & higher education.

Much modified, RHD 1973 VW "1600" Type 2 Westfalia Continental campervan, with the World's only decent, cross-over-arm, SWF pantograph rear-window wiper

Onetime member, plus former Technical Editor & Editor of Transporter Talk magazine
Volkswagen Type 2 Owners' Club (Great Britain)

http://www.vwt2oc.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rottenkid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: Towing Transporter Behind Motorhome Reply with quote

Does anyone use an enclosed trailer for transporting their bus?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Hikelite
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Towing Transporter Behind Motorhome Reply with quote

TRN9 wrote:
Hi Kevin,

What you find out for a braking system? When flat towing your bus?

We haven't bought a supplemental braking system yet.
One of JeremyRockJock's tow bars is on the way though.
We're finally taking the bus with us after having the RV 2 years now.
We wasted a lot of $$ renting transports from uhaul to move around our Toyotas. Jeeps cost too much. Rather bring the bus than have it sitting alone in my shop.

rottenkid wrote:
Does anyone use an enclosed trailer for transporting their bus?

I'm sure someone has. I looked into it. The big problem is the height. Mine is a campmobile too, so it's even taller.

I've driven the RV enough times with a trailer now, that I'm far less concerned about maneuvering with it. The big issue for me is still where to put it in a campground. It's more work to load/unload from a trailer than hooking up a tow bar.

A trailer does have advantages. The biggest is I can tow any vehicle I want without altering the vehicles, ie installing a base plate. If I got an enclosed trailer, then there is protection from the elements, road debris, and theft. It could also then act as some extra storage space.

Even with the advantages, I can't justify the cost on top of the negatives.

No trailer for us.
I may order the shifter lock. I'll be at the bus again in a couple more days. I'll feel the shifter. I really don't think it can "fall" or "slip" into gear with the clutch out, but I'll push on it and see how much resistance I feel.

I also plan to ensure that any cargo in the bus is properly stowed before going underway. We already have to do that for the RV, so having a checklist of the bus won't be a big deal. We already have a checklist we use for the RV, so we will just add more items to that list.

My 1968 Campmobile
metahacker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Towing Transporter Behind Motorhome Reply with quote

on the subject of accidental gear engagement--

if i'm not mistaken, i believe these shifters have self-centering springs on the selector rod and would be resistant to self-engagement

https://www.coolrydescustoms.com/crc-ss-shifters.html

i would call and ask Kevin Zagar, the "inventor" of that innovative shifter, though

is there a bay locking shifter base available from anyone like they have for split/bug? if so, does said base allow locking into neutral or only into gear?

another option would be to have a 3d printed (or handmade) part that slides over the selector rod and locks neutral .. not very off-the-shelf, however.

im sure you could also just jam some pieces of junk like wood in there to shim it so it cant move.. if you like that sort of 'engineering'
Hikelite
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: Towing Transporter Behind Motorhome Reply with quote

metahacker wrote:
on the subject of accidental gear engagement--

if i'm not mistaken, i believe these shifters have self-centering springs on the selector rod and would be resistant to self-engagement

https://www.coolrydescustoms.com/crc-ss-shifters.html

i would call and ask Kevin Zagar, the "inventor" of that innovative shifter, though

is there a bay locking shifter base available from anyone like they have for split/bug? if so, does said base allow locking into neutral or only into gear?

another option would be to have a 3d printed (or handmade) part that slides over the selector rod and locks neutral .. not very off-the-shelf, however.

im sure you could also just jam some pieces of junk like wood in there to shim it so it cant move.. if you like that sort of 'engineering'

Wolfsburg West sells a shift lock. This link is above:
https://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=ZVW36A

I did order this already. It will be here the same day as the tow bar.

I'm still looking for a tow light setup. I want something magnetic, but everything I find available online appears to be Chinese junk. I need something durable since it will be in nearly constant use. This morning I'm looking into ordering just some trailer light and magnets separately and making my own light setup.

In regards to supplemental braking systems. We are going to get one, but I'm waiting until I get back to AZ. I'm aware of the actual risks and the legal risks. I am a slow driver in general, and will just be even slower on this trip down. We will be buying a used braking system and there are more in Phoenix and Mesa, AZ than anywhere else.

My 1968 Campmobile
Hikelite
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: Towing Transporter Behind Motorhome Reply with quote

2000 miles
so far so good

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

My 1968 Campmobile
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: