Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How much transaxle do I need?
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wulfthang
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:16 pm    Post subject: How much transaxle do I need? Reply with quote

I have a rail that I modified for trail use. We use it to explore old mining trails, etc. Most of it is just slow sight seeing but sometimes, I like to run it hard.

The transaxle is a Type 1 Freeway Flyer. Supposedly, the trany was rebuilt before I got it but I didn't verify it. The lube was very clean and never ran and it has an Aluminum side plate so maybe it is rebuilt.

The engine is a naturally aspirated Ford 2.8 that I did some modifications to. (Very mild cam, 6" riser on the intake, manifold, hot ignition, Holley 4412, matched ports, headers) The engine in factory stock condition was doing about 140 HP. I estimate this one to be good for 155 to 160 HP, maybe a little more.

I'd like to put in a transaxle that I can run hard with out worrying about breaking it. No I don't abuse it with pavement screechers or anything like that but I would like to be able to thrash it some offroad without worrying about the transaxle falling out.

What I would need is one capable of handling 200 HP, IRS and still have the "Freeway Flyer" gearing or even a little higher. (It's street legal) Whose and about how much? Would it be more worthwhile to rebuild my Type 1?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jsturtlebuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: How much transaxle do I need? Reply with quote

Torque is what causes transaxle breakages. How much do you figure you have.?
You say you want to run it hard, if you look at what size engines that VW used your engine is going to have a lot more torque then a VW trans would ever see normally.
About the strongest VW transaxle is a 091/1 4Speed out of Vanagon. There is a 094 trans that a 5speed, but not really available in the USA.
Both of these are side shifter in that linkage comes out the right side of the main case.
An both of these need improvements to really live life in an off road environment.
A 091 transaxle from 1976 to 1979 can be made to live but will still need to be maintained at intervals to replace worn parts if you run it hard.
It all depends on how much you want to spend.
Stronger transaxles are available such as the Weddle HV series and Mendeola both of which have larger ring and pinions then a VW has. These are not cheap but will last longer.
Motion Tire Motorsports
Having fun with Dune Buggies since 1970
Into Volkswagens since 1960
Wulfthang
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: How much transaxle do I need? Reply with quote

It's probably making max about 175 ft-lbs of torque. How much does a VW 1600 engine produce? I'm giving a lot of thought to rebuilding my spare T1 transaxle and running that. Yeah I,m pretty sure I can do it here in my shop. In my younger days, I built engines, electrical systems and tranys for Kawasaki race bikes and I still have all of my tools and shop equipment.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: How much transaxle do I need? Reply with quote

Wulfthang wrote:
How much does a VW 1600 engine produce?

Torque? Me thinks it is right around 70.
Wulfthang wrote:
I'm giving a lot of thought to rebuilding my spare T1 transaxle and running that.

Don't let the IRS type 1 transmission fool you. When built correctly, they'll handle A LOT thrown at them.
Ask the guys building Porsche replica's w/ 2332 motors pushing them around on the pavement.
Biggest thing to remember when driving one off road is to lift your foot BEFORE the ass end off your buggy sets back down
*you dont need a lot of air to spin your tires, either*.
Keeping your foot in it while your still in the air, causes a very quick rise in speed (for the motor and trans)
Make sense so far?
When you come back down (or regain traction), that sudden deceleration is all placed primarily on the trans.
Couple that with not lifting your foot and you won't make it past the 1st lap of the chili cook off in Barstow.
Thats a shock load it was never designed to take.

The Bus trans route is also a viable option, but the cost may scare you.

Good luck!

Support our troops. Not all injuries are visible ones.
Wulfthang
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2020 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: How much transaxle do I need? Reply with quote

Thanks for the info! It's what I thought: I should get the Mendeola or a Weddle but I don't have enough Pesos for one of those right now. I have a spare Type 1 transaxle that I know works fine. I'm going to rebuild it with stronger parts and then use it. I won't be able to drive it like I stole it but at least I'll be more confident in it. Thanks again.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: