Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Replacing Convertible Support Rails Explained
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daverham
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: Replacing Convertible Support Rails Explained Reply with quote

After digging around the web a bit more, I believe I've found that the tube would contain the wiring harness. Odd to me, since a hardtop car doesn't even have that support rail... so I don't know why the wiring harness wouldn't just go in the same place as it does on the hardtops... unless it goes through the roof maybe!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
far rider Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing Convertible Support Rails Explained Reply with quote

Wire harness ran thru it.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Contentment; when what you have is what you want.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jeffff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing Convertible Support Rails Explained Reply with quote

Would it be possible to just replace the support rails (weld them to the bottom of the channel) without seperating the body? Assuming of course the heater channels aren't rusty as well...unlikely but you never know haha.

The picture above makes it look like the support rails are not only welded but attached, in a groove.
Temo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing Convertible Support Rails Explained Reply with quote

I'm replacing the heater channels on a '72 SB convertible.

Do you recommend that keep the doors?

If my pillars are rusted away, doesn't that mess up the proper fitting of the door?

Is there a measurement that I can go by?

Thanks.

2021 Tiguan R
2017 Tiguan
2015 Passat TDI

'72 Convertible Under Construction
buntist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing Convertible Support Rails Explained Reply with quote

Has anyone found reinforcement rails with a bulge in the front on the passenger side? This is where the wire harness runs.
WW just told me theirs doesn’t have one.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2023 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing Convertible Support Rails Explained Reply with quote

SOoooo,
I'm getting ready to install new floor pans, heater channels, and support rails on a 65 beetle. The original parts were pretty well rotted away, so not much evidence on how things were originally. I currently have the Klassic Fab channels bolted to the Wolfsburg West rails and floor pans to make sure the holes all line up. I assume the factory had the rails welded to the heater channels, can anyone comment on the number of welds and spacing? It feels like drilling the rails so I can plug weld would be the right way, but for all I know Karmann just stitch welded the edges. Any help is appreciated.
SD
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing Convertible Support Rails Explained Reply with quote

Rather than add to this post, which seems to be mostly questions and pictures with dead links, I've started a new thread on the 65 convertible I'm fixing. Pictures and descriptions are here
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=776759
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: