Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Karmann Ghia versus Porsche: You be the Judge
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DONGKG wrote:
KGCoupe wrote:
I have been a Ghia lover since
I will say this, I turn far more heads when driving the Ghia than I do when in the Boxster.

Isn't it Porsches are more known as true sports cars. But, KGCoupe's experience seemed common. Why do you think that driving a Ghia gets more attention than driving a Boxster or a Porsche in general for that matter. (Although this may not be true to others) Very Happy

I have two ideas on that.

With the Boxster and other current Porsche models, I think that to most people in my area they are seen as just another nice new car in an area where you see many, many nice new cars every day.
Obviously, car enthusiasts notice them more - but to most people, it's just another car.
I don't think this is true for the vintage Porsche models. They always seem to be noticed and regarded as something special wherever they go.

The other reason I think people may not pay attention to the Boxster is - and please remember this is just my opinion - I think people may assume that Porsche owners are pretentious and snobby.
I'm not saying that this is true - I just think that the name Porsche has a certain mystique surrounding it, and that makes them (and their owners) less approachable.

Of course, it could just be my ugly mug that scares them away when I'm driving the Boxster.
My Ghia is a coupe, so I'm more hidden inside of that.
When my wife is driving the Boxster, she never seems to be at a loss for people staring, honking, waving, whistling, or making various propositions (particularly from truck drivers). Very Happy
DONGKG
The Araneta Boys

Location: Cainta, Rizal, Philippines, "A Certified Type 3 and Karmann Ghia Maniac"

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KGCoupe wrote:
DONGKG wrote:
KGCoupe wrote:
I will say this, I turn far more heads when driving the Ghia than I do when in the Boxster.

Isn't it Porsches are more known as true sports cars. But, KGCoupe's experience seemed common. Why do you think that driving a Ghia gets more attention than driving a Boxster or a Porsche in general for that matter. (Although this may not be true to others) Very Happy

With the Boxster and other current Porsche models, I think that to most people in my area they are seen as just another nice new car in an area where you see many, many nice new cars every day.
Obviously, car enthusiasts notice them more - but to most people, it's just another car.
I don't think this is true for the vintage Porsche models. They always seem to be noticed and regarded as something special wherever they go.

The other reason I think people may not pay attention to the Boxster is - and please remember this is just my opinion - I think people may assume that Porsche owners are pretentious and snobby.
I'm not saying that this is true - I just think that the name Porsche has a certain mystique surrounding it, and that makes them (and their owners) less approachable.

Of course, it could just be my ugly mug that scares them away when I'm driving the Boxster.
When my wife is driving the Boxster, she never seems to be at a loss for people staring, honking, waving, whistling, or making various propositions (particularly from truck drivers). Very Happy

In the Philippines, I have seen Moeern Porsches cruising anound Metro Manila, particularly during week ends. And, to me, these cars are pure performance machines and toys for the true big time boys (or girls as the case may be). In fact, a friend of mine, Mon, recently bought a Cayman Porsche. Wow, it was cool, really cool. And the rear fenders that arched ad extends higher that the read lid, is a reminiscent of the Karmann Ghia's archy rear fender. Looking at the Cayman, as if I was looking at a modern Karmann Ghia (This is just my own observation).

But, when I drive my Karmann Ghia Cabrio and cruise at around 40 kph, well, well, well, I get more attention compared to those barnd new cars on the road. The thought of driving my KG on a weekend basis is in itself am exciting way to enjoy out classic vee-dubs. Just today, I went to the office using my 1302s beetle, is already fun. Hearing the common (uncommon for others) sound of its engine and the manual operations arouns you-is already a passion.

Tomorrow Saturday 16 June 2007, our group at the Araneta boys is invited to display our respective vee-dubs at the classic car display. Since I drove the 1302s today and my Type 3 Fasty's battery is dead, I'll drive the Karmann Ghia Vert. It will be a fun day, indeed. And thinking that I would drive my vert tomorrow, I get excited already! Very Happy
'67 Splitty Bus
'65 beetle;'69 Country Buggy; '44 Kubelwagen (replica) TOOB MEMBER #20
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DONGKG
The Araneta Boys

Location: Cainta, Rizal, Philippines, "A Certified Type 3 and Karmann Ghia Maniac"

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I found this on the internet. Karmann Ghia with porsche 356 at the background.
'67 Splitty Bus
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DONGKG
The Araneta Boys

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KGCoupe wrote:
DONGKG wrote:
KGCoupe wrote:

It must have been fun driving your Porsche Boxster. Very Happy
'67 Splitty Bus
Rollo Tomasi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing that I have noticed here, its that when I am driving a vw (split window, oval , bus) people always aproach to see the car, talk about it and very often to ask if I want to sell it .
When I am driving an old Porsche , People dont aproach so often and when they do, is always the same quetion" How much is that car worth."

One more thing is that when I am drving the Ghia , I always ear the same thing when people ask to each other "what car is that?" , most of the time the answer is "thats an old Porsche"
DONGKG
The Araneta Boys

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kaiser_sose wrote:
One thing that I have noticed here, its that when I am driving a vw (split window, oval , bus) people always aproach to see the car, talk about it and very often to ask if I want to sell it .
When I am driving an old Porsche , People dont aproach so often and when they do, is always the same quetion" How much is that car worth."

One more thing is that when I am drving the Ghia , I always ear the same thing when people ask to each other "what car is that?" , most of the time the answer is "thats an old Porsche"

Ha ha ha. The same thing happens to me. When I am driving my KG cabrio, people would stare with blank faces. Some would even ask, "Is that a Porsche?" I would just reply, "Nope, it is not a Porsche, it is a Karmann Ghia Volkswagen!" Cool
'67 Splitty Bus
Rollo Tomasi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing is that without the VW hubcaps ( I am runing empi/raders) people "not vintage vw educated" doesnt have a clue. about what kind of car is it.

Last edited by Rollo Tomasi on Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
DONGKG
The Araneta Boys

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kaiser_sose wrote:
The thing is that without the VW hubcaps ( I am runing empi/raders) people "not vintage vw educated" doesnt have a clue.

Ha ha ha ha. They are really missing the fun, Kaiser_sose! Cool
'67 Splitty Bus
DONGKG
The Araneta Boys

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw this picture on the Reader's Ride:

'67 Splitty Bus
walkerman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KGCoupe wrote:
I have been a Ghia lover since early childhood - I guess you could say "I love Ghia long time." Very Happy

I've also admired Porsche cars for nearly all my life, and even more so after discovering their common heritage.

I didn't particularly care for the Boxster all that much, but when it was time for my wife to buy her "dream car" last year, she chose a 2002 Boxster.

Now I will be the first to admit it was nothing less than love at first drive.
We made a long distance purchase, and I "had" to drive it home from PA to IL.
A year later, and I am still just as thrilled every time I drive that car.

I had gotten my current Karmann Ghia a little less than a year prior to purchasing the Boxster.

In all honesty, once the Boxster came home, my love of driving the Ghia has suffered greatly.
Don't get me wrong - I realize they are two completely different animals that are decades apart in technology (about 4 decades of technology, actually).

For me, the Ghia has two main things over the Boxster: it is virtually a handcrafted european coach built auto, and it's design is far more classic and timeless.

The Boxster, on the other hand, is a true road machine.
Everything about it was designed to enhance the driving experience, from the feel of the materials used to the repsonsiveness of the controls and that magical engine sound.
(PM me if you would like an MP3 copy of the engine singing from 0 to 80.)

Bottom line - I love them both.
Choosing one over the other would be difficult for me.
Must be a sign of age or maturity, but I really enjoy knowing that I can count on the safety features that are built into my more modern cars, and not having them is something I really feel apprehensive about when driving the Ghia.

Harbor Village...that's just down the street from me. When were you there?
DONGKG
The Araneta Boys

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'67 Splitty Bus
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot about this thread, but since it popped up again thought I would add something to it. I have since bought a '67 Porsche 912, and though I know the comparison was between a '74 Ghia 'vert (which I also own, its my daily driver) and a much earlier model Porsche, there is no comparison in terms of ride between the two cars. The 912 is in a whole nother class compared to the Ghia especially when it comes to handling. The 912 is like a go cart, the Ghia feels like a '79 Cadillac in comparison. I love the Ghia, it rides better and is safer than the 912, but the 912 is a much more fun car to drive.
--Dan
SkrapMetal
Samba Hornblaster

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought this thread had died Rolling Eyes
DerekR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread is dumb, comparing apples to oranges. Some times I want an orange other times an apple but I never try to pass one off for the other. They are both worth appreciating. Rolling Eyes
DONGKG
The Araneta Boys

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldguysrule wrote:
This thread is dumb, comparing apples to oranges. Some times I want an orange other times an apple but I never try to pass one off for the other. They are both worth appreciating. Rolling Eyes

LOL
'67 Splitty Bus
denizen224
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DONGKG wrote:
Ha ha ha. The same thing happens to me. When I am driving my KG cabrio, people would stare with blank faces. Some would even ask, "Is that a Porsche?" I would just reply, "Nope, it is not a Porsche, it is a Karmann Ghia Volkswagen!" Cool

Tee-hee... and is part of why SOME 356 people hate Ghias. They get tired of people telling them, "Hey, nice Karmann Ghia!" Laughing Rolling Eyes

SkrapMetal wrote:
I thought this thread had died Rolling Eyes

That's the wonderful thing about forums... threads never die... Rolling Eyes

oldguysrule wrote:

Ayup! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

execk2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MMM... I love them both

www.mikeandjosee.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
OTO X58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I loved that my Ghia outperformed many porsches.

RIP HBB 10.10.84 - 12.25.09
1958 Ragtop Bug Build - Subaru Swap!
1957 Gazelle Beige Ghia FOR SALE
1957 Dove Blue Kombi field find
DONGKG
The Araneta Boys

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

denizen224 wrote:
DONGKG wrote:

Tee-hee... and is part of why SOME 356 people hate Ghias. They get tired of people telling them, "Hey, nice Karmann Ghia!" Laughing Rolling Eyes

LOL

Or is it the otherway around?

Did you feel glad and proud when your Karmann Ghia was being called Porsche?

Is that a "statement" worth reckoning with?
'67 Splitty Bus

Last edited by DONGKG on Mon May 12, 2008 9:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Frankie Pintado
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The article IS pretty silly. I made a page on "the Karmann Ghia" on myspace and this magazine cover is on there. Of course I'd take the porsche, call it snobbery or whatever...didn't even have to think about it.

This is all just flattery. I'm sure most people think I have a lot more than 5 grand invested in my econo-classic KG if they're confusing it with a 356.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9

Jump to: