Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

sliding window lock mechanisms
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
laterPeter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 8:36 pm    Post subject: sliding window lock mechanisms Reply with quote

I have one not working correctly. Can these be fixed or is replacement the only option? I found no real infomation (here or elsewhere) about these little contraptions.
Using a small mirror & an "L" shaped slotted screw driver I can tighten or loosen "something" but the mechanism still moves in a small arc & will not lock securely.
any info would be greatly appreciated...
by the way, I have owned this Vanagon/Westfalia since Sunday 05.18.08
& had a nice two day trip getting it back home.
later,
Peter
Wellington
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Broken, I doubt it, loose probably. Remove that screw completely and be carefull not to loose the spring. Once it's out, remove the catch and check if the screws are tight securing the piece to the glass. The gasket may bedeteriorated and need replacing.
laterPeter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks... that may become today's little project. but I think I'll order one just for fun...
later,
Peter
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wellington wrote:
Broken, I doubt it, loose probably. Remove that screw completely and be carefull not to loose the spring. Once it's out, remove the catch and check if the screws are tight securing the piece to the glass. The gasket may bedeteriorated and need replacing.

...or it's possible that the little plastic guide bushing is worn down to the point that the latch can't catch on the notches in the frame anymore.

http://www.van-cafe.com/vanagon_parts.jsp?pa=p&p=1464530415&ct=1508353218

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=296393&highlight=spread

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
iiigoiii
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

in my case, it was both bushings and a loose mechanism.

the bushings are 2 pieces of plastic (per window) that the slider rides on. when they wear out or get lost, the window drops down a few mm, and the locking mechanism no longer comes up far enough to pop into the notches cut in the aluminum window frame.

i had one other issue - the repeated use of the window in its worn state had caused the notch in the aluminum frame to get a bit rounded off. i squared it up (removing as little as possible) with a dremel to make it latch more securely.

the gaskets under my latch were fine, but the screws had worked a bit loose over the years and needed to be tightened. one caution - the screws are soft and are easily stripped from over-tightening.
85_Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I once had a latch that you could swing from side to side just a bit. After removing the long screw and spring using an "L" shaped screwdriver, I found that the raised portion, where one of the two screws that holds the base to the window glass, had broken off from the base. Replacement of the base was the obvious fix in my case.

Mike
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: