Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

High Beam Indicator Bulb
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr Brown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 1:07 pm    Post subject: High Beam Indicator Bulb Reply with quote

The high beam indicator has stopped working on my 82 Westfalia. The Bentley says the high beam indicator uses a blue bulb while the other warning lights use LED's. The high beam indicator on my van is an orange LED, is this stock? The dealer can't get the bulb(whatever it may be) anymore and apparently the later Vanagons use a different bulb. Has anyone here replaced this bulb on an earlier Vanagon, and if so, was it a bulb or LED?
ChesterKV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's blue like most vehicles. I think the orange light was a previous owner's solution. Dunno about the rest of your questions...
singlewc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: High Beam Indicator Bulb Reply with quote

dvanulden wrote:
The high beam indicator has stopped working on my 82 Westfalia. The Bentley says the high beam indicator uses a blue bulb while the other warning lights use LED's. The high beam indicator on my van is an orange LED, is this stock? The dealer can't get the bulb(whatever it may be) anymore and apparently the later Vanagons use a different bulb. Has anyone here replaced this bulb on an earlier Vanagon, and if so, was it a bulb or LED?

My 81 came to me from its original owners with an orange/amber lamp. Never gave it any thought till I upgraded to a later model instrument panel which uses a blue light. <shrug>

I like the blue. Red or orange/amber ought to be for serious problems that need attention. High beam lamps aren't warnings...... I don't even like the red color in the tach for the high rpms, as sometimes the sun hits it just right, and I catch a glimpes of red, and think "oh crap, now what?" Smile

Mark
vanmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it should be blue. When the vanagons came out (80)
there were no blue LED's so they used a bulb with a blue cap (filter)
Since you can now get blue LED,s might as well use that. But make
sure you install the proper value current limiter resistor.
Cat and Walter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

haqd to fix the inop high beam indicator bulb in my 89. factory uses a clear bulb with a blue hood. i got both from Vanagain. I did have to trim the legs on the bulb but everything worked great. i ordered a new hood so I have a spare blue hood. all the other indicator lamps are LED's.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mr Brown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone, I will get a blue LED to replace the orange one. There is an existing resistor in the circuit. I am guessing it could be there to either protect an LED or dim a normal bulb.
Cat and Walter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would think dim a normal bulb.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: