Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official whine about Beetles and parts for sale topic
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 293, 294, 295 ... 420, 421, 422  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Beetles and parts for sale topic Reply with quote

They're $15 new from WW... this ad is crazy!
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2062705
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
themetalsurgeon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Beetles and parts for sale topic Reply with quote

hitest wrote:
Rob R wrote:
Sorry didn't do the quote thing right. I am referring to the 59 bug for sale. There is a lot more to this car than the add shows. Price may be a little high very few cal look cars as nice as this.

I agree Rob- the main problem with the car is in the marketing department- not the car itself. He needs several compelling photos and a link to at least 60 more. He needs at least 50 lines of text to describe the car. In the world of already done cal-lookers the work into the car is not out of the realm of a low 20k asking price. It needed a sunroof graft early though. Rarely can these cars be resold without one.

Metal surgeon- you're likely to find that most of the comments in this or any other whine thread are based on personal opinion.

Sometimes those opinions are shared, sometimes not.

Second thoughts, agreed Hitest . apologies to Rob R ,I retract that statement regarding imo. Thanks

www.themetalsurgeon.com

1953 PreA 356 Porsche concours quality for sale.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392073&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

www.themetalsurgeon.com .....know whats under your paint.....

....its not where you're from,its where you're at ....
Quote. Ian Brown(Stone Roses)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Digger89L
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Beetles and parts for sale topic Reply with quote

Maybe I've just seen too many (advertised as) 'rust free' 50 year old VWs ...so many that I have become cynical. BUT, I find it VERY difficult to believe that there is no serious rust elsewhere on this 'one owner' 66 bug, especially when both of the front fenders are rusted completely through on the outer rim. Even my VERY rusty project 66 project car does not have serious rust in this particular area. Any other opinions on this one? www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars/edmonton/1966-volkswg...1295311540
Sharp64 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Beetles and parts for sale topic Reply with quote

Digger89L wrote:
Maybe I've just seen too many (advertised as) 'rust free' 50 year old VWs ...so many that I have become cynical. BUT, I find it VERY difficult to believe that there is no serious rust elsewhere on this 'one owner' 66 bug, especially when both of the front fenders are rusted completely through on the outer rim. Even my VERY rusty project 66 project car does not have serious rust in this particular area. Any other opinions on this one? www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars/edmonton/1966-volkswg...1295311540

Isn't this the one that had the weird under dash rust through supposedly from mouse piss that was posted as a low mileage survivor here? That mileage claim rings a bell.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Beetles and parts for sale topic Reply with quote

https://newhaven.craigslist.org/cto/d/66-vw-beetle-rebuilt-motor/6296708709.html
"No problems with the vin"
So uh... where's the vin plate? Rolling Eyes
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
Digger89L
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Beetles and parts for sale topic Reply with quote

OK ...here's another one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-7Ll1vLQhM&t=55s .....

Near the end, the guys talk about the "plastic door pillar hinge screw hole covers" as "Ziebart plugs" ...hinting that that's the reason the car is in such good shape, because it was Ziebart rust-proofed when new, and the holes used to get the rust treatment inside the body were then covered by these special 'Ziebart plugs'. Good grief!! I guess that tells you these guys know NOTHING about VW beetles!!
smokey503
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Beetles and parts for sale topic Reply with quote

Digger89L wrote:
OK ...here's another one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-7Ll1vLQhM&t=55s .....

Near the end, the guys talk about the "plastic door pillar hinge screw hole covers" as "Ziebart plugs" ...hinting that that's the reason the car is in such good shape, because it was Ziebart rust-proofed when new, and the holes used to get the rust treatment inside the body were then covered by these special 'Ziebart plugs'. Good grief!! I guess that tells you these guys know NOTHING about VW beetles!!

I love how the old guy is excited that it's Rubio Red.
jays58s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Beetles and parts for sale topic Reply with quote

A super crusty car for $8500? It would cost that or more to fix that car, and it'll continue get worse if you just leave it. Maybe I'm missing something? lol

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2093280
sportin-wood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Beetles and parts for sale topic Reply with quote

It's PATINA!! Laughing Laughing
"Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman. He's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it." --- Jeff Spicoli
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jays58s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Beetles and parts for sale topic Reply with quote

sportin-wood wrote:
It's SHITINA!! Laughing Laughing

I fixed it for ya lol.
Cali_Army_Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Beetles and parts for sale topic Reply with quote

https://sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/d/1963-vw-custom-aloha-bug/6282685103.html
SBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Beetles and parts for sale topic Reply with quote

Cali_Army_Guy wrote:
https://sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/d/1963-vw-custom-aloha-bug/6282685103.html

You haven't been paying attention. Very Happy

Bryan67 wrote:
Aloha...

mark tucker wrote:
I wouldent waste $ or thyme on building a small motor. build it big so it dosent have to work hard.remember it's only as fast as your foot alows it to be unless you build a small turd then it just stinks as it squishes up through your toes when you step on it.
Digger89L
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Beetles and parts for sale topic Reply with quote

There should be a 'night class' or at least an instructional video series on "How not to Completely Destroy the Value of a Collector Car". This guy took a one-owner 63 ragtop beetle ...presumably completely original and unmolested ...and proceeded to seriously molest it, and destroy its originality ...and he thinks he 'improved' it and and increased its value? Good grief.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Beetles and parts for sale topic Reply with quote

SBD wrote:
Cali_Army_Guy wrote:

Bryan67 wrote:
Aloha...

Quote:
People take pictures of it every where I go

That could be negative too Smile
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cali_Army_Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Beetles and parts for sale topic Reply with quote

SBD wrote:
Cali_Army_Guy wrote:

Bryan67 wrote:
Aloha...

Guess not Embarassed
Cali_Army_Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Beetles and parts for sale topic Reply with quote

Digger89L wrote:
There should be a 'night class' or at least an instructional video series on "How not to Completely Destroy the Value of a Collector Car". This guy took a one-owner 63 ragtop beetle ...presumably completely original and unmolested ...and proceeded to seriously molest it, and destroy its originality ...and he thinks he 'improved' it and and increased its value? Good grief.

Agreed!
bwaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Beetles and parts for sale topic Reply with quote

maybe it's time some of these broker sites that overprice vehicles, started to post what those vehicles actually sold for. I've looked at a lot of crappy cars for sale, owners say "well I saw one for $15K so mine must be worth that". What they don't see is the car offered for $15K, sold for $6500 after being available for six months with no offers. No, their 1965 car with no motor, in need of a wiring harness, all bent aftermarket fenders and no interior (needing pan halves) isn't worth $10K.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Beetles and parts for sale topic Reply with quote

bwaz wrote:
maybe it's time some of these broker sites that overprice vehicles, started to post what those vehicles actually sold for. I've looked at a lot of crappy cars for sale, owners say "well I saw one for $15K so mine must be worth that". What they don't see is the car offered for $15K, sold for $6500 after being available for six months with no offers. No, their 1965 car with no motor, in need of a wiring harness, all bent aftermarket fenders and no interior (needing pan halves) isn't worth $10K.

When I bought my 70' bus, the owner had it priced way too high. I inspected it for about an hour and did some rough math in my head on what the costs would be to fix and replace the obvious issues. I then told him my findings. He was shocked when I offered him $4k less than what he was asking. To his credit, he listened to me explain what was wrong with the bus and the costs of the parts (not including labor) to fix them. He then accepted my offer.

To your point, people far too often try to get the highest prices they see other vehicles selling for w/out knowing all the detail. I don't blame them. It's up to the buyer to try and educate them on what it's really worth. Some will listen and others will hold on waiting for someone who doesn't know any better to pay their asking price.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bryan67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Beetles and parts for sale topic Reply with quote

What part of this is Old Skool?

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2095374
jays58s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Beetles and parts for sale topic Reply with quote

Those aftermarket bumpers are gorgeous, the paint on those wheels is gorgeous, that hacked up dash for that aftermarket stereo is gorgeous, that crusty trunk compartment is gorgeous, and that price for that not so hard to find car is definitely gorgeous. lol

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2096727
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 293, 294, 295 ... 420, 421, 422  Next
Jump to:
Page 294 of 422

Jump to: