Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official whine about Beetles and parts for sale topic
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 326, 327, 328 ... 420, 421, 422  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Beetles and parts for sale topic Reply with quote

Why people build a car exactly as they and only they would like it- but then think it's going to sell later is beyond me. It's a raffle prize now at best.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 6:35 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Beetles and parts for sale topic Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2238204
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
sehilliard1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Beetles and parts for sale topic Reply with quote

I'd be interested to hear exactly what your "whine" would be concerning my ad. Is it the price? Could you provide an example of an original numbers matching car with a professionally rebuilt 36hp engine date stamped down to the generator for less money? I've searched the classifieds and couldn't one. But I certainly could have missed something. Is my ad-misleading? Not happy with the pictures? Deceitful in some way?

Thanks for your insight.
consvws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Beetles and parts for sale topic Reply with quote

looks like a nice car to me for the price, but i love that color & I daily drive a patina beetle with a 36hp. Most people don't see the charm in that though. Good luck with the sale!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bryan67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Beetles and parts for sale topic Reply with quote

Get the fuck outta here...
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2239575
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Beetles and parts for sale topic Reply with quote

sehilliard1 wrote:
I'd be interested to hear exactly what your "whine" would be concerning my ad. Is it the price? Could you provide an example of an original numbers matching car with a professionally rebuilt 36hp engine date stamped down to the generator for less money? I've searched the classifieds and couldn't one. But I certainly could have missed something. Is my ad-misleading? Not happy with the pictures? Deceitful in some way?

Thanks for your insight.

$13k is way high IMO for nearly any car with rust through. Just because it’s OG doesn’t make it worth the money. If it’s good condition OG, hell yeah. But beat to shit, Rusty OG. Not so much. Dirty, grimy and rusty. I see a $5k car.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
Bryan67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Beetles and parts for sale topic Reply with quote

Crazy...
https://sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/d/sacramento-custom-car/6779836266.html
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Beetles and parts for sale topic Reply with quote

Sharp64 wrote:
sehilliard1 wrote:

Thanks for your insight.

$13k is high IMO for nearly any car with rust through. Just because it’s OG doesn’t make it worth the money. If it’s good condition OG, hell yeah. But beat to shit, Rusty OG. Not so much. Dirty, grimy and rusty. I see a $5k car.

I'm sure it was added to this thread due to the price. $13k is far too high for a non coveted year (60') VW bug. I don't know the depth of the market for a rusty, patina'd VW. I can't imagine there's exceptional depth in the "patina" crowd looking for a VW.

With the costs of bodywork and paint these days, it could cost $10k for someone not wanting to look like they are too poor to fix their old VW.

If the mechanicals are perfect on this bug, I don't see more than $6k.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Beetles and parts for sale topic Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
Sharp64 wrote:
sehilliard1 wrote:

Thanks for your insight.

$13k is high IMO for nearly any car with rust through. Just because it’s OG doesn’t make it worth the money. If it’s good condition OG, hell yeah. But beat to shit, Rusty OG. Not so much. Dirty, grimy and rusty. I see a $5k car.

I'm sure it was added to this thread due to the price. $13k is far too high for a non coveted year (60') VW bug. I don't know the depth of the market for a rusty, patina'd VW. I can't imagine there's exceptional depth in the "patina" crowd looking for a VW.

With the costs of bodywork and paint these days, it could cost $10k for someone not wanting to look like they are too poor to fix their old VW.

If the mechanicals are perfect on this bug, I don't see more than $6k.

Also, do you have the BC proving the engine is the original engine or the original paperwork? Strong claims of professional rebuild and originality but the distributor appears incorrect and looks like cheap FLAPs crimp terminals. Wheels aren’t correct either. In no way am I saying it’s a crappy car. It’s not. Cool as hell as I like 60’s and I like mango 60’s. But it’s not worth 13k even with the rack and pop outs.
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Beetles and parts for sale topic Reply with quote

Kudos to Hilliard for watching the "whines" and spotting his ad in here.

Extra credit for the cancer shot at the base of the RF quarter...but I suspect there's more lurking. And just to echo what's already been said, those vented wheels look horrid and so out-of-place on that car, particularly w/o hubcaps. And while boasting great originality, if the price is going to stay on the high end, the only dignified thing to do is spend a little dough on some smoothies and caps for it, it looks like there's margin in your price point to add that necessary touch.

Last edited by Busstom on Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Beetles and parts for sale topic Reply with quote

Bryan67 wrote:

Member join date says it all.
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:34 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Beetles and parts for sale topic Reply with quote

Busstom wrote:
Bryan67 wrote:

Member join date says it all.

Not even a 64. Check the dash, interior handles and window size.
sehilliard1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:54 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Beetles and parts for sale topic Reply with quote

I can affirm several points here.

- Yes original wheels and original hubcaps would be a nice touch. (I have a set with brand new tires I plan to put after doing a front wheel alignment.)
- Yes incorrect distributor this was I chose to give the 36 a little more bottom end. (its an 019 bus distributor) I have the original date stamped BR8 rebuilt and ready to go with the car.
- The rust through at the bottom of the passenger side is the only place on the car, more detail photos can provide that evidence, and they are available upon request.
- Yes painting the car and repairing the rust through would cost 10k. At least. You'd also be painting an original paint paint. (A sin in my opinion)

Some points of disagreement:

- 5K? or 6K. Let's be honest. If you can buy a running driving car from 63 and down for 5 or 6k thats had an engine rebuild, complete mechanical restoration, with all the original sheet metal. That car would make the good deals thread, if not immediately be snatched up by those in the know. Most of the cars in that price range are hiding something. Unless you can barn-find one, which is still doable in todays world. But this isn't "barn-find.com" this is thesamba.com.

I appreciate the feedback. I'll let the market dictate the price. I will get the wheels squared away in the next couple weeks and reshoot some photos.
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:20 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Beetles and parts for sale topic Reply with quote

sehilliard1 wrote:

- Yes original wheels and original hubcaps would be a nice touch. (I have a set with brand new tires I plan to put after doing a front wheel alignment.)
- Yes incorrect distributor this was I chose to give the 36 a little more bottom end. (its an 019 bus distributor) I have the original date stamped BR8 rebuilt and ready to go with the car.
- The rust through at the bottom of the passenger side is the only place on the car, more detail photos can provide that evidence, and they are available upon request.
- Yes painting the car and repairing the rust through would cost 10k. At least. You'd also be painting an original paint paint. (A sin in my opinion)

- 5K? or 6K. Let's be honest. If you can buy a running driving car from 63 and down for 5 or 6k thats had an engine rebuild, complete mechanical restoration, with all the original sheet metal. That car would make the good deals thread, if not immediately be snatched up by those in the know. Most of the cars in that price range are hiding something. Unless you can barn-find one, which is still doable in todays world. But this isn't "barn-find.com" this is thesamba.com.

I appreciate the feedback. I'll let the market dictate the price. I will get the wheels squared away in the next couple weeks and reshoot some photos.

Hopefully you’ll be willing to post up what the car actually ends up selling for. I’m just going by what I see locally. Again, I feel you are putting a massive value on the whole OG thing. Good condition OG is one thing, but the interior is admittedly falling apart and there is rust through. You may find that one other guy willing to pay high end money for that car but you’ll be sitting on it for a long time imo. If it was an oval, MAYBE. But not for this car. Prove us wrong.
pondoras box
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:20 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Beetles and parts for sale topic Reply with quote

sehilliard1 wrote:

It has a lot to do with location as well, maybe in Arizona these are sitting under every tree (they are not by the way) but there are more solid cars than what's available in Ohio. People are asking and getting 5 grand out of Ok supers. Yeah I get it by a car out of the south west have it shipped its cheaper. First of all not finding many 60 bugs running and driving for 5 grand on here. Shipping is not 500 dollars coast to coast anymore. Plus factor in flight cost and time to get there and back to look at a car that might be a pile of turds. Your getting closer to his asking price. If I had a 60 that was running and driving and you offered me 5K I would politely ask you to leave because negotiations just ended. E-mail me a 5K offer and you wont even get a response. As far as Florida goes I am constantly reading about people on here from Florida complaining they cant find a car worth a damn for less than 10K. A barn find that you can get running in a weekend is like finding hens teeth good luck. I would put the value with proper wheels and the correct distributor provided with sale as well closer to the 10K range here in the rust belt. Good luck with the sale.

For the record I just sold a solid 65 body with a 67 pan completely disassembled for 5K last Friday and I wasn't even trying to sell, the buyer approached me with the offer. He wanted my 60 in similar shape and I told him he would have to step his offer up significantly.

1961 23 Window (Bobo)
1965 11 Window (Zelda)
1965 13 Window (Lucas)
1957 Oval ragtop
1988 Cabriolet VR6 conversion
Plus a lot of other rusty junk
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:47 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Beetles and parts for sale topic Reply with quote

Rust is a big issue here. Most of the cars that have been here for most of their lives are going to be rusty. It’s why I bought both of mine from out West. Personally, if I came across this car I would turn around and walk away as I don’t deal with rust. I did it once and never again. Rust in the pans is one thing, but I’ve seen the repairs it takes for that area and no thanks.

I also mentioned regarding the original motor claim. Any documentation on this? Just because it’s month/year correct doesn’t mean it’s the OG engine. I just had a December 59 engine pop up locally that I was tempted to grab as it would have been “correct”. Doesn’t make it OG unless you have proof.
pondoras box
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Beetles and parts for sale topic Reply with quote

Rust is a huge deal here, if you are going to be into classic cars then you either learn to weld or learn to pay someone $80 an hour to do it for you.

I have a very solid 60 that isn't going anywhere, I have learned my lesson the last few years. Sell your car today and you cant afford to buy it back tomorrow. The 65 body I referred to took me almost two years to find and I had to drive 6 hours one way to get it. Already feeling the pangs of regret selling it.

1961 23 Window (Bobo)
1965 11 Window (Zelda)
1965 13 Window (Lucas)
1957 Oval ragtop
1988 Cabriolet VR6 conversion
Plus a lot of other rusty junk
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Beetles and parts for sale topic Reply with quote

pondoras box wrote:
Rust is a huge deal here, if you are going to be into classic cars then you either learn to weld or learn to pay someone $80 an hour to do it for you.

Or stick with dry, rust free cars.
sehilliard1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Beetles and parts for sale topic Reply with quote

Body number is #288 and Engine stamping is #361

Certainly it could be the case that the engine was replaced. If we make that assumption we would could safely assume that someone tracked down, not only a year correct case, not only a month correct case, but one that fits almost perfectly into the production numbers. Those are all valid assumptions.

It would also be a valid assumption that this is the original (from the factor numbers matching engine).

I think it is a legitimate question to ask how does this affect the value of the car. For me, in the pursuit of a VERY VERY OG car, it is important. This is in fact the same reason I wouldn't choose to paint the car. It is the reason I include details about the original seats and upholstery. I think the value of this car is intimately linked to its originality(obviously). I have questions about how to value in dollars and cents that originality. Thats why the car is for sale. It is testing the value of the originality. Something on which I think we can be free to disagree.

I appreciate the informed discussion on my car. The feedback concerning what could/should be done to the car to inform the value is important to this community.

I am happy to share the sale results (if they occur) and if that would be agreeable to buyer. Unfortunately KBB hasn't solidified its data on sales of cars approaching 60 years in age.
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Beetles and parts for sale topic Reply with quote

But it is an assumption. Again, for the top dollar you are asking for, spend the $80 to confirm. As I said, I almost picked up a month/year correct engine for my car locally. Numbers were darn close. Yours very well could be the original engine but without paperwork proving it it’s difficult to make this claim.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 326, 327, 328 ... 420, 421, 422  Next
Jump to:
Page 327 of 422

Jump to: