Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official whine about Beetles and parts for sale topic
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 327, 328, 329 ... 420, 421, 422  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bryan67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Beetles and parts for sale topic Reply with quote

"World Famous"?
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2239687
consvws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Beetles and parts for sale topic Reply with quote

The people complaining about the Mango bug just like shiny new stuff & are scared of a little rust. I've met many people like that, they think a car with rust is just going to disintegrate before your eyes. You should see what your shiny POS "restored" beetle looked like before someone hosed it down with your favorite color, lol.
This car looks to be sporting all its original doors, hood, decklid, & fenders. I like that. Most older beetles i've seen have had those parts replaced at some point. Hell even most late model beetles have too
One last thing..... where are you guys getting rebuilt turnkey 36hp engines so cheap??? The car is worth $5-6k???? He might as well part the car out i guess!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Beetles and parts for sale topic Reply with quote

consvws wrote:
The people complaining about the Mango bug just like shiny new stuff & are scared of a little rust. I've met many people like that, they think a car with rust is just going to disintegrate before your eyes. You should see what your shiny POS "restored" beetle looked like before someone hosed it down with your favorite color, lol.
This car looks to be sporting all its original doors, hood, decklid, & fenders. I like that. Most older beetles i've seen have had those parts replaced at some point. Hell even most late model beetles have too
One last thing..... where are you guys getting rebuilt turnkey 36hp engines so cheap??? The car is worth $5-6k???? He might as well part the car out i guess!

That got personal quick. So my cars are POS’s just because they aren’t patina’d cars? My 64 isn’t all that shiny and far from perfect. I wouldn’t ever even consider $13k on it though. I know it’s a $4-5k car. My 60 is shiny and been repainted and/repaired along the way, but far from a POS. Not sure if it ever was but I also paid close to what the PO is asking and it’s a ragtop with a Vintage Speed 36hp engine. Rust free car out of Wyoming. We must have way different definitions of POS for sure. I’m not scared of rust, I just prefer my cars not to have it. Been through rust repair and it sucks. It’s ALWAYS worse than you think and rarely a simple process. My guess is, what you see is 10-30% of what’s actually there by the time you cut back to good metal. To each his own.

If it’s such a spanking deal you should jump on it.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
consvws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Beetles and parts for sale topic Reply with quote

I'd say it got personal with the seller when you called his car a $5k car. You must just know how to find really good deals, good for you.... I'd buy this car in a second for $5k, but i'm broke & already have a beetle to care for.

Anyway isn't there a $20,000 1964 that actually deserves to be whined about? Is this the whiners thread?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sehilliard1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Beetles and parts for sale topic Reply with quote

I take no offense to the criticism. I've only be watching markets on the early big window cars for the last year or so, trying to finish mine and price it somewhere in reality. My knowledge is limited, that why I'm here.

I've been a split bus guy for many years and have found that the ones that appeal to me most are the ones that previous owners have NOT messed with in anyway. I'm not comparing buses to bugs, that debate in the eyes of the market is OVER.

I would disagree that painted, restored cars are POS's. I think they can be done nicely and professionally in away that helps preserve the car for another whole life time. Let's not forget that this is the end we are all shooting for. Certainly, you can hide a lot of body work with a paint job. You can easily ad aftermarket fenders, etc. and without some very skilled eyes those actions can go unnoticed.

I would second the idea, that the "whines" ought to be reserved for the cars that are priced outside of reality, the ads that have poor pictures, the ads where the vehicle is still on the trailer posted by the flipper, and the ads that bear false witness to the cars value or condition. I raised the question as to which of those criteria my ad falls into. I would suggest that due to the healthy back and forth, unsolicited defenders and passionate opposition, that my price is right about where I want it to be.

Someone once said: "You can always come down in price."

I'm not afraid of honest good faith negotiating.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Beetles and parts for sale topic Reply with quote

I don't think anyone attacked the seller for his $13k asking price at all. I think we gave our opinions on why we think it's priced high. I am spoiled living in Arizona. Original SW USA VW's here have zero rust or we can move over a state or two to look for other VW's.

One thing I'll fall on the sword for is not recognizing this 60's location. Yes, I would agree you could add $2k to the price due to it being in the rust belt. So, that brings it to $7k.

I bought my original paint, original everything 67 bug out of Los Angeles. Zero rust and only very minor primer coming through in a couple of spots. It needed less than $200 dollars in parts to make it a reliable driver. I paid $5500 for it. The interior carpet was worn but original. The seats had covers on them and I've since installed new, correct seat covers. I also repainted it the original color as I'm not a fan of patina or worn paint jobs.

My contention is a lot of the people in the market for a classic 50's-60's-70's VW are folks in their 40's, 50's and 60's. They are like me in that they drove a beater VW back in HS or college. They want to relive their youth in a stock VW that looks like it was delivered when new not like when they were broke kids. They have the disposable income to buy one of these restored VW's or a very nice original VW that only needs a wax job.

The other issue on the pricing is it's 'The Samba price' vs. craigslist, swap meet pricing or other local papers. Most things listed here are considerably higher priced than you find locally. I see used prices for parts on The Samba classifieds that are massively higher than I see at swap meets.

I hope the seller gets his price. I personally wouldn't be a buyer based on the year and it's appearance.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Beetles and parts for sale topic Reply with quote

Simply put, the mango beetle just doesn't have enough OG anything to be priced in 5 figures. Sure, the engine's great. But the folks who have a car like that these days are finding them with much more original paint- and they're scouring the swap meets and obtaining NICE OG interiors. That car's got 3 main things wrong with it that will make topping $7500 very difficult:

It's got too much rust- so it will scare away a restorer.
It does not have enough clean original paint and interior bits to satisfy today's "patina" hound.
It has no sunroof.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
slave1pilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Beetles and parts for sale topic Reply with quote

Sharp64 wrote:
Busstom wrote:
Bryan67 wrote:
Get the fuck outta here...
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2239575

Member join date says it all.

Not even a 64. Check the dash, interior handles and window size.

Pretty sure that it's a '67 with the wrong fenders on the front.
Look at the rear apron
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'67 was the only year the rear apron looked like that.

Currently:
1963 Ragtop Beetle
Previously:
1967 Beetle
1968 Beetle
1970 Beetle
borna428
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Beetles and parts for sale topic Reply with quote

Keith wrote:
$12,000?!!

That the hell is an “original collectors edition”? There are so many things wrong and unoriginal, I don’t even know where to start.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2237755

I also saw this car and was going to look at it. Being new to the game, can you please tell me what is wrong with it and also, what would be a good price for this?
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Beetles and parts for sale topic Reply with quote

borna428 wrote:
Keith wrote:
$12,000?!!

That the hell is an “original collectors edition”? There are so many things wrong and unoriginal, I don’t even know where to start.

I also saw this car and was going to look at it. Being new to the game, can you please tell me what is wrong with it and also, what would be a good price for this?

Research what a '65 should be- and compare. The white car is a mix of cheap and cheaper "add to cart" mail order stuff. Also, morally speaking- do you like the idea of handing over cash to a guy who doesn't know what he's got? "Collectors Edition" and "Standard" are terms used by non-VW people. If he had a convertible for sale it would be a super rare "Karmann Kabriolet" edition...

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
sehilliard1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Beetles and parts for sale topic Reply with quote

Sounds like you're suggesting that original German parts add some sort of value to a car?? Very Happy
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Beetles and parts for sale topic Reply with quote

sehilliard1 wrote:
Sounds like you're suggesting that original German parts add some sort of value to a car?? Very Happy

When they’re in good condition. Yes.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Beetles and parts for sale topic Reply with quote

hitest wrote:
borna428 wrote:
Keith wrote:
$12,000?!!

Research what a '65 should be- and compare. The white car is a mix of cheap and cheaper "add to cart" mail order stuff. Also, morally speaking- do you like the idea of handing over cash to a guy who doesn't know what he's got? "Collectors Edition" and "Standard" are terms used by non-VW people. If he had a convertible for sale it would be a super rare "Karmann Kabriolet" edition...

Price-point debates notwithstanding, what jumps out at me is: cheep-o slap-on junk such as, rain deflectors, toe-kick guards on door and A-pillars (which unfortunately may be screwed on), beauty rings (which hopefully are hiding nice smoothies), the clock in the horn ring, the headlight lenses, the overstuffed seats with generic upholstery, missing trim from back window, and perhaps a couple nits in the engine compartment...

What am I missing? I'm curious, as I have a couple '65s and that car doesn't look all that bad (for a Deluxe Smile ). Again, price aside.

Edit: Oh, I forgot, wrong trim on the running boards, wrong jack, and never mind the mud flaps Cool
borna428
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Beetles and parts for sale topic Reply with quote

Busstom wrote:
hitest wrote:
borna428 wrote:
Keith wrote:
$12,000?!!

Price-point debates notwithstanding, what jumps out at me is: cheep-o slap-on junk such as, rain deflectors, toe-kick guards on door and A-pillars (which unfortunately may be screwed on), beauty rings (which hopefully are hiding nice smoothies), the clock in the horn ring, the headlight lenses, the overstuffed seats with generic upholstery, missing trim from back window, and perhaps a couple nits in the engine compartment...

What am I missing? I'm curious, as I have a couple '65s and that car doesn't look all that bad (for a Deluxe Smile ). Again, price aside.

Edit: Oh, I forgot, wrong trim on the running boards, wrong jack, and never mind the mud flaps Cool

So, I did some research on the price of 65 VW and these are my finding
Now the question is how do I determine what condition this car will fall on?

Engine: 1192CC/34 HP / 1 bbl carb.
Price:
Perfect condition, best in the world: $28,500
Excellent: $18000
Good: $10,000
Fair: $4900

I know is very hard to determine from the picture, but from what you see from the pictures, what condition you think this car is at?
Is it fair to say somewhere between good and fair?

so assuming not rust issues $8500 would be a right price?
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Beetles and parts for sale topic Reply with quote

Fair for that car might be around 8k where you are. I don't know. But when I encounter a seller who tries to pass things off and guild the lilly- the car goes down in value. In this case a white, non-sunroof big window car does not excite me. It is clear you want very badly for folks to support you in buying this one beetle. There are more fish in the sea in my opinion.

You admit to being newer at the game. Please be patient- read and learn. Take notes and attend a show or two. The worst advice is fro folks to say- "sure, if you like it and the story the seller spews, buy it!" But they are doing you a disservice and likely would not buy the car for themselves. Here's what I've seen many times. Guy checks out car- new 'friends' go nuts and sell him on it, and later guy realizes he bought the wrong car. The guy then is turned off to the hobby because of poor advice- and thinks VW people are flakes. That would suck.

By the way- I don't know what insurance co. you used for your pricing index- but it is not relevant to prices for which these cars actually sell. The ratings of conditions are unrealistic. $18k buys the best white, non-sunroof big window beetle on the planet- with a helluva lot of upgrades. 8k should have a sunroof- or at least be painted a color.

FU#5
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Beetles and parts for sale topic Reply with quote

$20K??? Shocked

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Beetles and parts for sale topic Reply with quote

vamram wrote:

$20K??? Shocked

Bryan67 beat you to it. Look two pages back.
jimdubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Beetles and parts for sale topic Reply with quote

I can only assume that a junk 68 Rambler must be worth over $7300 given the value of the Bug he's selling! Craigslist dreamer

https://charlotte.craigslist.org/cto/d/kannapolis-63-vw-beetle-68-american/6790683765.html
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:40 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Beetles and parts for sale topic Reply with quote

^^^ the owner seems to be handy with a grinder/cutter! Shocked
jays58s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Beetles and parts for sale topic Reply with quote

One owner and low miles? Doubtful...

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2243388
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 327, 328, 329 ... 420, 421, 422  Next
Jump to:
Page 328 of 422

Jump to: