Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official whine about Beetles and parts for sale topic
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 349, 350, 351 ... 420, 421, 422  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bryan67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Beetles and parts for sale topic Reply with quote

finster wrote:
^^ front wheels/caps look like 4 bolt...

The ad says front disc brakes. So that explains the four lug.
KingAir42
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:42 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Beetles and parts for sale topic Reply with quote

What do you think about this one?

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2337243
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 5:32 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Beetles and parts for sale topic Reply with quote

Dazegone54 wrote:

I'm sure someone else that is more familiar with 58's will chime in, but what I see on this "all original" car are cheap aftermarket bumpers, a repaint with cal style non chrome window rubbers and that isn't the original interior. Also looks like someone rigged up a faceplate to cover the hole that was cut in the dash to fit a later larger radio at some point in this cars life. I would greatly question the 75k mile claim unless there is a stack of paperwork substantiating this claim. About the only thing that would truly keep me from being interested is the cut dash. Paint looks decent and I could "fix" most of the other issues. But cut dashes are a bitch to repair in a cost effective manner.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
KingAir42
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Beetles and parts for sale topic Reply with quote

Sharp64 wrote:
Dazegone54 wrote:

I'm sure someone else that is more familiar with 58's will chime in, but what I see on this "all original" car are cheap aftermarket bumpers, a repaint with cal style non chrome window rubbers and that isn't the original interior. Also looks like someone rigged up a faceplate to cover the hole that was cut in the dash to fit a later larger radio at some point in this cars life. I would greatly question the 75k mile claim unless there is a stack of paperwork substantiating this claim. About the only thing that would truly keep me from being interested is the cut dash. Paint looks decent and I could "fix" most of the other issues. But cut dashes are a bitch to repair in a cost effective manner.

Thanks for those observations. And there’s this one .. what do you think ?

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/2205867163048003/
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Beetles and parts for sale topic Reply with quote

Dazegone54 wrote:
Sharp64 wrote:
Dazegone54 wrote:

I’m partial to ragtops. Not much info on this car but that’s not an original color and looks like a cheap respray by the amount on the handbrake and shift lever. Same cheap bumpers. Value is up to you if you think it’s worth it. Might be better posting up a “value this” thread if you’re looking to buy a car. This thread is mainly to beef in grossly overpriced or misrepresented cars.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
KingAir42
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Beetles and parts for sale topic Reply with quote

Sharp64 wrote:
Dazegone54 wrote:
Sharp64 wrote:
Dazegone54 wrote:

I’m partial to ragtops. Not much info on this car but that’s not an original color and looks like a cheap respray by the amount on the handbrake and shift lever. Same cheap bumpers. Value is up to you if you think it’s worth it. Might be better posting up a “value this” thread if you’re looking to buy a car. This thread is mainly to beef in grossly overpriced or misrepresented cars.

I see thanks, I can post it later on a new thread. He said he would take 8k. It’s hard being patient, I haven’t had a bug for years. So the 58 and the 61 rag were my main interests. Really though, what I am waiting for is the original owner of a bone stock 59 bug to call me when she is ready to sell. She drove it regularly up until a month ago, now it’s just sitting in the driveway with the tires slowly losing air. Who knows when she, or if she will sell it. But I feel in my gut that I should wait until she sells.
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Beetles and parts for sale topic Reply with quote

Bryan67 wrote:
finster wrote:
^^ front wheels/caps look like 4 bolt...

The ad says front disc brakes. So that explains the four lug.

The 4-bolt Ghia disc brakes say ball joint. Which says high probability of a complete pan replacement to a 1966 or later pan. Which says it is NOT a 1958 VW anymore. It MAY be a 1958 body shell, but it is NOT a 1958 Bug. I then have to wonder what it's registration says. If it says "1958", then the registration is fraud against the State. Shocked The VIN goes with the pan that it's stamped in from the factory, not the body shell. 58 bodies don't have a VIN, though later ones DO.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Beetles and parts for sale topic Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2345321

Laughing
Hardly worth that much if it was even a complete running engine let alone a core
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Beetles and parts for sale topic Reply with quote

60ragtop wrote:

Laughing
Hardly worth that much if it was even a complete running engine let alone a core

There's at least 1 too many digits in that price... and it's not the "1"
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:14 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Beetles and parts for sale topic Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
60ragtop wrote:

Laughing

There's at least 1 too many digits in that price... and it's not the "1"

Ha, I got a kick out of the upside down cylinder Smile
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Beetles and parts for sale topic Reply with quote

Yeah it's a good thing it is stripped down! I wonder what they would think it was worth if it was a complete engine Shocked

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2343515
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Beetles and parts for sale topic Reply with quote

60ragtop wrote:

Laughing

And, judging by the oil that spilled out of it, not once in that "Only 70,000 miles" did it ever get an oil change.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Beetles and parts for sale topic Reply with quote

60ragtop wrote:
Yeah it's a good thing it is stripped down! I wonder what they would think it was worth if it was a complete engine Shocked

Weird, those are not 1959 heater boxes, they are the earlier style.

I can't see them being replaced if it really had such low mileage, especially since the pipes are repaired.

$650 though... LOL, that is more than NOS ones... by around double
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Beetles and parts for sale topic Reply with quote

And by what method did he determine that the car had only 70K miles. Any reason not to suspect that it had 370K miles Like my 58 had before I got my hands on it in 1971? The odometer only goes to 99,999.

The heater boxes look to have very few miles on them before the car was parked. They MUST have been replaced not long before.

And if the engine was running so well, and had so few miles, why did it get taken apart and why are the parts being sold off?

It seems the seller feels there is far more profit at his dream prices to part the thing out than to sell it intact.

If that's the case, maybe I should be taking the 36hp I have apart and start selling it bit by bit.

And by American market standards, there was no 30hp VW engine. 25hp then 36hp like the original in my '58. That engine lasted 365K miles before it ever needed a rebuild, and it was actually running fine at that time when my father decided that it should get freshened up before he handed it over to me. So why dismantle an engine with only 70K?
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Beetles and parts for sale topic Reply with quote

Looks like someone uploaded the wrong photo Very Happy Very Happy OOOPS!!! Its the second to last one

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2346666
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Beetles and parts for sale topic Reply with quote

Chickensoup wrote:
Looks like someone uploaded the wrong photo Very Happy Very Happy OOOPS!!! Its the second to last one

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2346666

This happens sometimes, please report the ad if you see this occur

I deleted it
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Beetles and parts for sale topic Reply with quote

General observation... It never ceases to amaze me that folks can post 9 pics for FREE in TheSamba car classifieds, yet why are there SO MANY that have, not only LESS, but only show of the exterior? Then, they post something like, "Any questions, just ask." Well my question is, "WHERE IS THE REST OF YOUR CAR?" Does someone seriously think that 4 pics of the outside is sufficient? Post all NINE for free! Or better yet, suck it up and buy a Premium Membership to get LOTS of pics, it's a GOOD DEAL! Or post a link to lots of photos in a photo gallery. Only a few pics, WTF?? Rolling Eyes

OG member of the '67 Posse

A few of my toys, past and present
'56 Oval, '66 KG Conv't, '67 21-Window, '67 Bug, '79 SuperVert, '55 Pre-A Continental
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:28 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Beetles and parts for sale topic Reply with quote

67 Florida Deluxe wrote:
General observation... It never ceases to amaze me that folks can post 9 pics for FREE in TheSamba car classifieds, yet why are there SO MANY that have, not only LESS, but only show of the exterior? Then, they post something like, "Any questions, just ask." Well my question is, "WHERE IS THE REST OF YOUR CAR?" Does someone seriously think that 4 pics of the outside is sufficient? Post all NINE for free! Or better yet, suck it up and buy a Premium Membership to get LOTS of pics, it's a GOOD DEAL! Or post a link to lots of photos in a photo gallery. Only a few pics, WTF?? Rolling Eyes

YOU GO GIRL!! Very Happy totally agree
harrymarlin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:37 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Beetles and parts for sale topic Reply with quote

67 Florida Deluxe wrote:

Along those same lines, why post a single photo of the product you want to sell, but have it be completely out of focus (but a perfect in focus background). It looks like you are trying to hide something.
ISO Albuquerque "Imported Motors" dealership paraphernalia
jays58s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Beetles and parts for sale topic Reply with quote

60ragtop wrote:

He wants $80 for the rockers. I have about 8 pairs I'd sell for that lol. I always look up prices for that stuff, you can get them all day long on here for $10-20.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 349, 350, 351 ... 420, 421, 422  Next
Jump to:
Page 350 of 422

Jump to: