Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official whine about Beetles and parts for sale topic
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 387, 388, 389 ... 420, 421, 422  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Patiently Impatient
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Beetles and parts for sale topic Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
Patiently Impatient wrote:
iowegian wrote:
bwaz wrote:
this looks like a hard 56,000 original miles...
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2451143

I'm diggin' the fauxtina.

That's not fake patina. That's exactly how it left the garage where it was parked 50+ years ago.

I know this bug well, the only thing that was replaced on it was the ragtop cloth, as it had a hole in it from a cat that fell through the ragtop at some point. The dead cats skeleton was found in the bug when it was pulled from the garage, but I don't think it's included with the sale.

EDIT: and for the record that bug is an extremely perfect survivor with killer patina, and VERY VERY solid. I do not think it's worth anywhere near $30k through, this guy selling it is not the guy who found it, or even got it back on the road. He's just trying to flip it.

I'd be interested to know what it sold for to him as I'm guessing that was a reasonable price.
If you don't want to say, I understand

I didn't sell it to him. I am good friends with the person who ended up with that car originally. Not sure what it sold for, but since I know you guys all appreciate some stories, here's the story on that car:

That bug like mentioned in the ad, was won at a show. The 1958 NY Auto Show nonetheless. It was raffled off, and an older lady won it. All she had to do was claim the car at her nearest dealer, which turned out to be Handy Motors in New Brunswick, NJ. There's actually an imprint of the Handy Motors sticker on the rear apron that is faded but still visible. She drove it for a few years, and when backing it out one day she dented the fender and decided she no longer felt comfortable driving the car.

The 56k miles are certainly original. It remained parked in her garage since the 60's, which is when that poor cat met it's ill-fated demise and clawed its way through the rag top only to not be able to escape and later succumb to it's clumsiness (RIP little guy).

Rumor has it that an older bug was "parked in a garage" for a long time, so certain people started poking their heads around and eventually found it. Fella (2nd technical owner) who found it offered it for sale to a friend of mine.

Friend of mine bought it (3rd technical owner) and became the second legal owner considering he actually registered it in the DMV system. He put in a new rag top canvas/material to fix the ripped one (thanks kitty), and got the bug running and driving.

The bug was then traded for a 55 PGSG that was a decent project but had great potential. So now it was on it's 4th technical owner.

That person then sold it to this current guy, which makes him the 5th technical owner.

So although it's rightfully claimed as "two documented owners", it's actually changed hands and been through 5 different people and on it's way to the 6th. Probably not with that asking price though Laughing

It changed hands the first time at a VERY reasonable price. It then was traded for the 55 PGSG. It was then sold to this current guy for undisclosed amount very recently. This current owner hasn't done a single thing to it, and is simply just trying to make a good amount of money off of it.

It's a shame that in the ad it's mentioned as being a great candidate for a restoration. This bug should never be restored, as it's an extremely dry and solid car. Pictures do not do this thing any justice in terms of looks. It's a stunning survivor that should wear it's patina and age for many years to come, as it is.

Then again, it's not my car and people are entitled to do whatever the hell they want with them.

The end!
jays58s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Beetles and parts for sale topic Reply with quote

I hope everyone reads this ad VERY carefully. I love patina cars, but this thing is an overpriced turd...

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2452779
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Beetles and parts for sale topic Reply with quote

jays58s wrote:
I hope everyone reads this ad VERY carefully. I love patina cars, but this thing is an overpriced turd...

I'd roll that rust!
Not for $11.5K. But it's really not in too bad of shape.

I had an offer to buy a friends 65. Beautiful paint, interior, fresh 40hp engine,
FF trans (What?). It would have been sold to me for less than that POS above.

The only issue I had was. That I don't need another car.
It will be sad to see the 65 with wrinkled fenders and crushed bumpers.
BTW, it wasn't posted here for sale.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
jays58s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Beetles and parts for sale topic Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
jays58s wrote:

I'd roll that rust!

I had an offer to buy a friends 65. Beautiful paint, interior, fresh 40hp engine,

Did you read the ad very carefully? The bottom of the frame head where the beam bolts up needs to be replaced. That’s a very important structural part of the car, and not something just anyone can properly repair.
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Beetles and parts for sale topic Reply with quote

jays58s wrote:
67rustavenger wrote:
jays58s wrote:

I'd roll that rust!

Yes I did!
Like I said. I'd roll that rust. Just not for 11.5K.

Did you read the ad very carefully? The bottom of the frame head where the beam bolts up needs to be replaced. That’s a very important structural part of the car, and not something just anyone can properly repair.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
3foldfolly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:41 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Beetles and parts for sale topic Reply with quote

Looks like a lot of shinola to me for $750. The golden shaft will be a big problem for the unsuspecting .
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2454220
a smith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Beetles and parts for sale topic Reply with quote

3foldfolly wrote:
Looks like a lot of shinola to me for $750. The golden shaft will be a big problem for the unsuspecting .
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2454220

Hawaiian look gearbox???? Just add the white window seals.....
jays58s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Beetles and parts for sale topic Reply with quote

Laughing nice front clip, what a turd...

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2436328
Patiently Impatient
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Beetles and parts for sale topic Reply with quote

jays58s wrote:

The majority of the vehicles that company advertises are overpriced pieces of shit waiting for an uneducated buyer to make the ultimate bad decision of sending them money.
jays58s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Beetles and parts for sale topic Reply with quote

jays58s wrote:

The majority of the vehicles that company advertises are overpriced pieces of shit waiting for an uneducated buyer to make the ultimate bad decision of sending them money.

Exactly, I can’t believe anyone would even attempt to buy anything from that seller.
raydog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:59 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Beetles and parts for sale topic Reply with quote

jays58s wrote:
jays58s wrote:

Exactly, I can’t believe anyone would even attempt to buy anything from that seller.

And it is listed in "very good" condition. Take the time, or waste the time to look at the pics of this car on his website.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
restojohnny
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Beetles and parts for sale topic Reply with quote

Oh snap !!!!

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2454680
53 LHD, LH cargo door standard kombi
54 Pre-A Porsche
55 oval ribbed door non-semiphore
56 semiphore ragtop
59 renault dauphine (work in progress)
63 notchback (work in progress)
67 OG black paint beetle sedan empi accessorized
67 original Empi GTV beetle convertible !!
67 euro squareback
67 deluxe walkthru (work in progress)
67 convertible ghia (work in progress)

"STAY OUTTA MY BACKYARD !!! "
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Beetles and parts for sale topic Reply with quote

restojohnny wrote:
Oh snap !!!!

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2454680

Original seat covers? LOL, No
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Beetles and parts for sale topic Reply with quote

On the other hand, this looks like a true bargain.......
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2454730
Patiently Impatient
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Beetles and parts for sale topic Reply with quote

iowegian wrote:

That’s a great looking 66 for a European buyer.

US? Not so much. After money conversion and shipping you’re looking at a $18k+ Bug.
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Beetles and parts for sale topic Reply with quote

iowegian wrote:

That’s a great looking 66 for a European buyer.

US? Not so much. After money conversion and shipping you’re looking at a $18k+ Bug.

You are right. I knew there would be shipping involved for a U.S. buyer, but failed to take the Euro/Dollar conversion into account. Embarassed
(The 18 grand number makes me happy-----I always like to think that original '66s are special Wink )
56TIMOTEO
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Beetles and parts for sale topic Reply with quote

look at how the piping has been removed from the passenger seat!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Big Bill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Beetles and parts for sale topic Reply with quote

I am digging the lighter colored interior on that Java Green 66.
latinporsche911
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Beetles and parts for sale topic Reply with quote

Too original to have the key and take interior pictures from the inside?

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2456240

Does having an historical licence plate add to the price? Shocked Rolling Eyes Laughing

Last edited by latinporsche911 on Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
jays58s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Beetles and parts for sale topic Reply with quote

latinporsche911 wrote:
Too original to have the key and take interior pictures from the inside?

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2456240

Does having an historical licence plate add to the price?

$21,000? Is that guy smoking crack? There’s no radio or block off plate, the paint is shit, the steering wheel is painted the same color as the car, there’s a lighter hole with nothing in it, the headliner is shit, the wheels aren’t original paint, and on and on...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 387, 388, 389 ... 420, 421, 422  Next
Jump to:
Page 388 of 422

Jump to: