Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official whine about Beetles and parts for sale topic
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 395, 396, 397 ... 420, 421, 422  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Beetles and parts for sale topic Reply with quote

60ragtop wrote:
EverettB wrote:
LOL, this is junk
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2493762

Condition unknown Question

In this case the pictures pretty tell what the condition is Laughing

But it certainly does have "plenty of patina".
DurocShark
Samba Member

Location: Crappy town in a crappy state. But the beach is nearby, so I have that going for me.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Beetles and parts for sale topic Reply with quote

https://www.facebook.com/groups/254509511339997/pe...4766768779

The best pic:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Laughing
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Beetles and parts for sale topic Reply with quote

Home-modified fan shroud?

I wonder how the air flows in that thing
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DurocShark
Samba Member

Location: Crappy town in a crappy state. But the beach is nearby, so I have that going for me.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Beetles and parts for sale topic Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:

Yeah. I asked what the story was. "It was cut down." I asked why and no response...
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Beetles and parts for sale topic Reply with quote

DurocShark wrote:
EverettB wrote:

Yeah. I asked what the story was. "It was cut down." I asked why and no response...

I was thinking for the dual carbs for some reason.

I wonder if there's still an oil cooler in there?
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DurocShark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 6:22 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Beetles and parts for sale topic Reply with quote

He did end up replying. "It wasn't me."

Laughing
Dusty1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Beetles and parts for sale topic Reply with quote

I'm tryin' to figure out if I should "out" this guy.

I shouldn't be surprised. I've been at this VW thing for 50 or so years now. High prices? Oldest story in the book. High prices for nasty junk? Second oldest story in the book.

From the seller end of it I've had my fair share of rude buyers. Buyer picks up a heart tail light off my tarp at a swap meet, gives it the three foot drop when he hears the price.

My Judson superchargers got the three foot drop.

My NOS semaphores got the three foot drop.

The part that really pisses me off? The VW guys with the Darth Vader attitude. I'm not sure what is permitted on this forum. I'll just say it's all about the helmet.

On the other hand,

Kdf.

Kraft durch Freude. Strength through Joy.

So why do so many VW enthusiasts have to be complete dicks?!

The guy I just tried to contact re: the Classifieds has three ads here and half a dozen on Craiglist that have been up all summer. Now I know why his stuff is still for sale. I simply wanted to arrange a mutually agreeable time when I can hand him cash and pick up the parts. First contact, he says "Saturday or no way!" I tell him I have prior commitments, Labor Day Weekend and all. He's acting like I insulted his mommy or something.

On, well. There are only a couple thousand old VWs for sale on TheSamba Classifieds. I might as well move on to the next one.
aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Beetles and parts for sale topic Reply with quote

Agree 100 percent, there is a small percentage that are so very honest, just this year, I could tell you about 5 positive incidents...make that 6...and Im very thankful for them. And thankful that I can call them friends.

Tomas

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet
Big Bill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Beetles and parts for sale topic Reply with quote

Well said Dusty1, for me the VW show and swap meets have not been like they were years ago. I still go to a few local shows but even they are different, very few daily drivers because most peoples cars have become an investment instead of a hobby...sad. Anyway thankfully there is still the Samba, to hook up with people that still have the same mindset. Very Happy
jays58s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Beetles and parts for sale topic Reply with quote

“ Numbers are not matching or this car would be 50k.” Where do people come up with this shit? It’s just another poorly restored worthless turd.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2494541
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Beetles and parts for sale topic Reply with quote

How ya supposed to make an offer when they say "don't tell me what you think it is worth" Laughing Rolling Eyes
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bwaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Beetles and parts for sale topic Reply with quote

funny, got an alert via email about this ad, asking price of $14K, open the ad, and the price is $16K! Wow it appreciated fast! Wink
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2494820
stale air
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Beetles and parts for sale topic Reply with quote

jays58s wrote:
“ Numbers are not matching or this car would be 50k.” Where do people come up with this shit? It’s just another poorly restored worthless turd.

Come on man, it says it right there, Deep Pockets... Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jays58s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Beetles and parts for sale topic Reply with quote

stale air wrote:
jays58s wrote:

Unfortunately, some hopeless sap will probably buy it.
aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Beetles and parts for sale topic Reply with quote

bwaz wrote:
funny, got an alert via email about this ad, asking price of $14K, open the ad, and the price is $16K! Wow it appreciated fast! Wink
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2494820

Owner also got color of interior wrong.

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet
wheel607
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 11:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Beetles and parts for sale topic Reply with quote

Dusty1 wrote:

I shouldn't be surprised. I've been at this VW thing for 50 or so years now. High prices? Oldest story in the book. High prices for nasty junk? Second oldest story in the book.

From the seller end of it I've had my fair share of rude buyers. Buyer picks up a heart tail light off my tarp at a swap meet, gives it the three foot drop when he hears the price.

My Judson superchargers got the three foot drop.

My NOS semaphores got the three foot drop.

The part that really pisses me off? The VW guys with the Darth Vader attitude. I'm not sure what is permitted on this forum. I'll just say it's all about the helmet.

On the other hand,

Kdf.

So why do so many VW enthusiasts have to be complete dicks?!

The guy I just tried to contact re: the Classifieds has three ads here and half a dozen on Craiglist that have been up all summer. Now I know why his stuff is still for sale. I simply wanted to arrange a mutually agreeable time when I can hand him cash and pick up the parts. First contact, he says "Saturday or no way!" I tell him I have prior commitments, Labor Day Weekend and all. He's acting like I insulted his mommy or something.

On, well. There are only a couple thousand old VWs for sale on TheSamba Classifieds. I might as well move on to the next one.

Dusty.........you can tell by my low registration number I have been at this almost 55 years and I have also NEVER seen it as bad as it is today. The two groups that are the cheapest in our area are wannabe VW enthusiasts and firemen. Really, I dont know why but both groups ONLY intend to resell and not to use what they are buying. If there is a dime left in it, they will make it work. They are generally not interested in buying something PERFECT as in NOS because there isnt enough left in it REGARDLESS. Most of the days of real collectors wanting the prime pieces and who are willing to pay a FAIR amount are over. I know there are a few on here who are actual collectors but not really that many. Most have sprung up because only of the dollar value associated with these NOS parts. Now, this has gotten to be a business and not a hobby anymore. This is not sour grapes as those reading might automatically assume..just a reason.
a smith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Beetles and parts for sale topic Reply with quote

jays58s wrote:
stale air wrote:
jays58s wrote:

Unfortunately, some hopeless sap will probably buy it.

Has that rear apron been patch worked together or was the paint prep so poor it looks like that?
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Beetles and parts for sale topic Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2495216

this ad is full of it. built in January 61 so it has 60 features? red handle dipstick? No

"working ignition/lock" but it has a starter button? that's not "working"

Also not a factory ragtop, it would have a 117 model number?

Maybe just dumb?
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jays58s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Beetles and parts for sale topic Reply with quote

Erik G wrote:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2495216

this ad is full of it. built in January 61 so it has 60 features? red handle dipstick? No

"working ignition/lock" but it has a starter button? that's not "working"

Also not a factory ragtop, it would have a 117 model number?

Maybe just dumb?

That car is a mess, and it’s hideous!
Dusty1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Beetles and parts for sale topic Reply with quote

wheel607 wrote:
Dusty1 wrote:

Kdf.

There are only a couple thousand old VWs for sale on TheSamba Classifieds. I might as well move on to the next one.

Dusty.........you can tell by my low registration number I have been at this almost 55 years and I have also NEVER seen it as bad as it is today. The two groups that are the cheapest in our area are wannabe VW enthusiasts and firemen. Really, I dont know why but both groups ONLY intend to resell and not to use what they are buying. If there is a dime left in it, they will make it work. They are generally not interested in buying something PERFECT as in NOS because there isnt enough left in it REGARDLESS. Most of the days of real collectors wanting the prime pieces and who are willing to pay a FAIR amount are over. I know there are a few on here who are actual collectors but not really that many. Most have sprung up because only of the dollar value associated with these NOS parts. Now, this has gotten to be a business and not a hobby anymore. This is not sour grapes as those reading might automatically assume..just a reason.

I got rid of all my busses because all they did was attract "enthusiasts" who stole parts off them. I got rid of a whole row of big windows starting with a '68 Westy ranging through a '70 single cab, a '72 Kombi, a few other '70s busses and ending up with a '79 with a two liter. I just sent 'em. It was far easier to pass them on to real enthusiasts instead of trying to sell them.

I feel a little silly about recently selling my running and driving '65 Kombi for chump change, well under $2k.

I still don't believe greed is a virtue.

The asset of high resale prices is the aftermarket is finally stepping forwards and offering some quality replacement parts. If only we could get counterweighted stroker cranks like the good old days.

I plan on doing my part. If the Porsche guys can have plastic Porsches why can't we have complete resin replacement VW bodies?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 395, 396, 397 ... 420, 421, 422  Next
Jump to:
Page 396 of 422

Jump to: