Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official whine about Beetles and parts for sale topic
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 411, 412, 413 ... 420, 421, 422  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2022 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Beetles and parts for sale topic Reply with quote

sportin-wood wrote:
Yowza! Is this really the going price for 2 sets of Robri gravel guards? I agree that they look to be in mint/near mint condition, but $2500? Maybe I'm just being naive?

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2590412

I thought this guy was known for asking top dollar for lots of stuff?
So it may not be the current market value.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Emeraldlion
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2022 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Beetles and parts for sale topic Reply with quote

3foldfolly wrote:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2582709

"Don't contact me and talk about facebook marketplace and how my price blah blah blah youre an idiot."
Nothing helps sell a car better than insulting your potential buyers.
$14,500 is way over priced. "Needs very little "😅

Is it just me or does this seem to be an increasing occurrence here in samba classifieds? I was just reading this ad
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2584366. He is selling a 67, but someone mentions fenders and apron aren't 67, so he calls them dumb? Why would I ever want to do business online with someone whose ad starts with insults and irritability? Doesn't seem sensible.....
sportin-wood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2022 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Beetles and parts for sale topic Reply with quote

Emeraldlion wrote:
3foldfolly wrote:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2582709

"Don't contact me and talk about facebook marketplace and how my price blah blah blah youre an idiot."
Nothing helps sell a car better than insulting your potential buyers.
$14,500 is way over priced. "Needs very little "😅

Is it just me or does this seem to be an increasing occurrence here in samba classifieds? I was just reading this ad
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2584366. He is selling a 67, but someone mentions fenders and apron aren't 67, so he calls them dumb? Why would I ever want to do business online with someone whose ad starts with insults and irritability? Doesn't seem sensible.....

Agreed. That idiot has the same ad on Craigslist too:
https://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/cto/7573092684.html
"Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman. He's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it." --- Jeff Spicoli
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sportin-wood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2023 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Beetles and parts for sale topic Reply with quote

Dude, can you make these wheels any less appealing? Looks like they just got dug out of a forest. How about cleaning them up just a bit?
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2592300
"Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman. He's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it." --- Jeff Spicoli
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Emeraldlion
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2023 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Beetles and parts for sale topic Reply with quote

Sorry sporting, I have to disagree on this one. For the price he is charging each for real Fuchs, I wouldn't have cleaned them up either. Tbh this is probably a good price for someone to grab a set and clean them up and flip them to a Porsche guy.
sportin-wood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2023 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Beetles and parts for sale topic Reply with quote

Emeraldlion wrote:
Sorry sporting, I have to disagree on this one. For the price he is charging each for real Fuchs, I wouldn't have cleaned them up either. Tbh this is probably a good price for someone to grab a set and clean them up and flip them to a Porsche guy.

Sorry, but that just doesn't make sense to me. Just laziness not cleaning them up a bit. I doubt they sell at that price. 2 of them even appear to be painted white.
a smith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2023 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Beetles and parts for sale topic Reply with quote

sportin-wood wrote:
Emeraldlion wrote:

Sorry, but that just doesn't make sense to me. Just laziness not cleaning them up a bit. I doubt they sell at that price. 2 of them even appear to be painted white.

I agree if your going to ask real money take the time to present your parts like you care. If that's how you present them how much care would be applied in packing to ship?

Looking at the pics it looks to me like they are so weathered the black anodizing has worn off. These could be a lot of work to refresh.
Emeraldlion
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2023 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Beetles and parts for sale topic Reply with quote

Que sera, painted, weathered or not. Some people have parts and just want to sell them. There are some things I am willing to clean up a little, and others that I'm just not going to bother with. A lot depends on what the general condition and asking price is. Again, I honestly don't have any problem with his ad.
slayer61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2023 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Beetles and parts for sale topic Reply with quote

Come on... just hose them off FFS Rolling Eyes

... Most folks are idiots when it deals with electrical !!!

67rustavenger wrote:

3/4 race cam? What's missing, one of the lobes? Shocked

Paul

'68 Manx clone... Sears??
2276 built on AS21 case
W-125 w/ GB 1.25:1 rockers
Mahle forged pistons
CB 4340 crank
CB H beam rods
deep sump
44 HPMX
EMPI GTV 2 STG II wedge ports
CB Magna spark
1 5/8 merged collector w/ hater stinger
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
McFunzeepants
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2023 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Beetles and parts for sale topic Reply with quote

When I see parts like this it makes me think of 2 possibilities:
-they could get the same price for the part clean or dirty, so why invest the time.
-The dirt could hide flaws that would be discovered when clean.
a smith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2023 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Beetles and parts for sale topic Reply with quote

Posting parts on a platform that is international take the time to clearly present them otherwise take them to a swap or advertise local so your potential buyer pool is in person inspection / purchase. I guess I am in the minority as a seller. I clean my stuff and try to present it as honest as possible. Plus I think it just shows you care about the hobby. Might just be me.
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2023 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Beetles and parts for sale topic Reply with quote

"...could be put back together the rest of the way in a weekend." Smile
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2584366
KingAir42
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2023 1:59 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Beetles and parts for sale topic Reply with quote

I am thinking about selling my 62 project for the past 3 years, I just don't want to end up on this thread. I know there are a million things that go into pricing a car, but just offhand, could anyone recommend a starting point (roughly)? I am about 14K into it as it sits. Yes, I know I won't get that money back. The original 1200 was just rebuilt, 6-volt system. I have a cloth headliner and carpet kit in the box. It wasn't ever going to be a show car; I was putting it together for being a driver. I just lost the spark to finish it, even though I am close.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2023 2:18 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Beetles and parts for sale topic Reply with quote

KingAir42 wrote:
I am thinking about selling my 62 project for the past 3 years, I just don't want to end up on this thread. I know there are a million things that go into pricing a car, but just offhand, could anyone recommend a starting point (roughly)? I am about 14K into it as it sits. Yes, I know I won't get that money back. The original 1200 was just rebuilt, 6-volt system. I have a cloth headliner and carpet kit in the box. It wasn't ever going to be a show car; I was putting it together for being a driver. I just lost the spark to finish it, even though I am close.

Finish it and drive it.
I love driving my squareback!
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2023 11:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Beetles and parts for sale topic Reply with quote

KingAir42 wrote:
I am thinking about selling my 62 project for the past 3 years, I just don't want to end up on this thread.

I can appreciate your trepidation, but I think as long as you don't make outlandish comments and outrageous claims, you wouldn't wind up being ridiculed here. The other half of it, as you state, is price, and that's a tough one. Price too highly, and you may get low-balled or just ignored. Then again, you deserve some reward for your investment put forth thus far, be it labor, parts, or the car's worth in general.

Personally, my reluctance with a project started by someone else (entirely aside from today's crazy asking prices), is what kind of quality was put into the bodywork, the quality of weld work and panel replacement (if any), and the skills of the engine builder. Coming in at a close 2nd is, concern of whether all the parts are there. It's hard to tell, but yours looks nearly complete, so a buyer could reasonably inventory the remainder of parts required and present. Heck, I'm still turning up parts for a car I blew apart 19 years ago (one of my Bahama Blue '65s), and I thought I did a decent job bagging and labeling things.

It really does seem like you're on the home stretch, but as you know, that last 10% is the hardest, as they say (maybe that's why I've never finished a high-end build). It's a bit of a shame you don't just wrap it up to that driver status, given all the work you have in already. Good luck!
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2023 3:23 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Beetles and parts for sale topic Reply with quote

kingair42 - do you have any aircooled buddies nearby who could come round and have a session or two on it with you. I've found that helped me in the past get over a slump.

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
harrymarlin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2023 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Beetles and parts for sale topic Reply with quote

There *was* a post about this 5 generation 1967 Beetle (which is quite lovely, although there seems to be something extra in the engine compartment - or a blurry vacuum advance?), and I have been trying to figure out the math.

The person posting says they are 75 years old, and the Beetle is his grandmother's - so that is three generations. Now, if the poster's grandson owns the car, *that* would make it 5 generations. Maybe the grandson got it, said "I don't want it!", and so the grandfather is selling it?

For it to be grandma's car, she must have already been up there in age when she bought it (at 20-30 years per generation, she was 55-75?)

Not really a whine, just a "my head hurts" Wink Still, nice looking car.

Edit to add link: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2594747
ISO Albuquerque "Imported Motors" dealership paraphernalia

Last edited by harrymarlin on Fri Jan 13, 2023 11:21 am; edited 1 time in total
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2023 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Beetles and parts for sale topic Reply with quote

harrymarlin wrote:
There *was* a post about this 5 generation 1967 Beetle (which is quite lovely, although there seems to be something extra in the engine compartment - or a blurry vacuum advance?), and I have been trying to figure out the math.

The person posting says they are 75 years old, and the Beetle is his grandmother's - so that is three generations. Now, if the poster's grandson owns the car, *that* would make it 5 generations. Maybe the grandson got it, said "I don't want it!", and so the grandfather is selling it?

For it to be grandma's car, she must have already been up there in age when she bought it (at 20-30 years per generation, she was 55-75?)

Not really a whine, just a "my head hurts" Wink Still, nice looking car.

I posted the link to that ad but when I went back to look again the ad was gone so I deleted my post. Maybe it sold quickly (as it might at the $13,500 price) or they decided not to sell.=?
harrymarlin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2023 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Beetles and parts for sale topic Reply with quote

iowegian wrote:
I posted the link to that ad but when I went back to look again the ad was gone so I deleted my post. Maybe it sold quickly (as it might at the $13,500 price) or they decided not to sell.=?

Yup - you are right, it's in pending, now! Someone snatched it up quickly, I guess! The ad is right - provenance is a big plus in sales!
ISO Albuquerque "Imported Motors" dealership paraphernalia
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2023 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Beetles and parts for sale topic Reply with quote

harrymarlin wrote:
iowegian wrote:

Yup - you are right, it's in pending, now! Someone snatched it up quickly, I guess! The ad is right - provenance is a big plus in sales!

That has to be some kind of record for the shortest time from joining theSamba to selling a car. Shocked
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2594747
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 411, 412, 413 ... 420, 421, 422  Next
Jump to:
Page 412 of 422

Jump to: