Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official whine about Beetles and parts for sale topic
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 414, 415, 416 ... 420, 421, 422  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daddybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Beetles and parts for sale topic Reply with quote

jays58s wrote:
EverettB wrote:
jays58s wrote:
This guy has to win the award for the longest running ad…

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=444995

He has a lot of emails, although maybe not that many for 16 years. Smile

Probably raises the price every time someone wants to actually buy it because it was "too cheap".

It takes some serious dedication to keep a car listed for that long lol.

Sellers wife: "All you think about is that damn VW! You love that car more than me and the children! You'd better sell that thing or I'm gonna kick your VW-loving ass to the curb!"
Seller: "Honey, it's not a "Thing" it's a Beetle."
Sellers wife: "Shut up! You self-centered bastard!" Get rid of it or I'm outta here! Oh, and I'll be leaving the six kids with you"
Seller: "But three of the kids are yours from your first marriage."
Seller's wife: "You heard me! All six! You'd better sell that thing, beetle, whatever you want to call it!"
Seller: Well now that you've brought it up...It can be called a Type 1, that's the factory designation, or a Kafer, that's the European slang, or a bug, which is what it's commonly called in America."
Seller's wife: "I'm burning your clothes."
Seller: Ok, Ok, I'll sell it! I'll sell it!" I'll post it for sale (crazy high price)...it should sell pretty quick...if it doesn't, then I'll keep lowering the price until it does. OK"
Seller's wife: "That's what I want to hear. Now get in the bathroom and shave my legs."
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Daddybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Beetles and parts for sale topic Reply with quote

bwaz wrote:
$1000!!!! lots of end play and rusted off muffler?
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2605391

If that filthy crusty thing was stored indoors, the guy must be living in a barn
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Daddybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Beetles and parts for sale topic Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2614307

Yes, it's a Euro ragtop, but...seems he spent a ton of $$$ on mechanicals and now he wants his money out of it, but it looks like a turd. Project car conversion equation...$ spent x 50% (if you're lucky) = $8000
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Beetles and parts for sale topic Reply with quote

Daddybus wrote:

$ spent x 50% (if you're lucky) = $8000

I agree that's a pretty good estimation of value
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Beetles and parts for sale topic Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
Daddybus wrote:

$ spent x 50% (if you're lucky) = $8000

I agree that's a pretty good estimation of value

You guys are being generous, that's a lot of coin ($8k) for something that needs to be stripped to the bone and started from scratch. And IMO, he wrecked it with the air-ride conversion, not to mention stripping all that paint and letting it rust Confused

How about that fuel line, if that's what that is punched into the tunnel Think

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 10:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Beetles and parts for sale topic Reply with quote

To be clear, I don't know if $8K is a good price for that car but I do agree that 50% of money spent is usually a good estimation.

You spent $6K on some big engine for your Bug?
It might be worth $3K if you were to sell it (and can find a buyer)
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2023 2:12 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Beetles and parts for sale topic Reply with quote

"Will come with box of misc parts" Laughing
this looks more like a three box car to me...nice rat poop in the photos as well Rolling Eyes

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2023 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Beetles and parts for sale topic Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
To be clear, I don't know if $8K is a good price for that car but I do agree that 50% of money spent is usually a good estimation.
You spent $6K on some big engine for your Bug?
It might be worth $3K if you were to sell it (and can find a buyer)

Got it, I'd agree too. I've always been unlucky in recouping costs.
bwaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Beetles and parts for sale topic Reply with quote

I love how things are often “an easy fix” in a sellers ad. If it’s so easy, why didn’t you get it done before selling? https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2614670
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2023 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Beetles and parts for sale topic Reply with quote

bwaz wrote:
I love how things are often “an easy fix” in a sellers ad. If it’s so easy, why didn’t you get it done before selling? https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2614670

It IS a pretty easy fix. I just went and looked at this car, top to bottom, and it's very solid. Probably the best deal on the Samba, and no doubt it's going to pop up here again as a flip.
Dre's a respectable dude and prices his stuff to sell. The ad is accurate and it pained me to pass this one up, but I just don't have room or time for a SIXTH car in my life. This car is super tight and runs like a sewing machine, totally unmolested.
VWNate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2023 12:36 pm    Post subject: Official whine about Beetles and parts for sale Reply with quote

Interesting thread that appears to have legs .

The thing is : once people who know nothing about a thing decide it's COOL ! they tend to screw up the pricing for everyone else .

I'm old and remember riding in Pop's direct import '54 Kombi with 'jail bars', I became a VW Mechanic full time in the 1971 year .

Anyways, kids have always screwed up anything nice and now they're doing it yet again .

I got lucky (?) about sevel years ago and decided to buy one last Bug before I die, because I actually drive anything I own I was looking for a stock(ish) bug I could make into a decent daily driver .

Via craigslist I met a nice fellow who was a Bimmer enthusiast, he'd landed a battered old '59 #113 that had been parked since the 1980's under a tree near the beach .

The car was still 6 volts and had a (barely) running 36HP engine and was more original than not so I gave him $3,000 for it and wheezed my way home .

I'm always amazed that anyone notices this old thing but "patina" (means age, rust and dents) is now the in thing (foolishness) so I get offers to sell it constantly .

I wish I had a decent paint car but this is it I guess .

One last Beetle : 1959 #113 DeLuxe survivor ~ 36HP & full synchro tranny, 6 volts etc.
KingAir42
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2023 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Beetles and parts for sale topic Reply with quote

I am surprised this bug hasn't sold. It's almost been one year, why? Is there something I am not seeing? Just curious, that's all. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2559875
3foldfolly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2023 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Beetles and parts for sale topic Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2615114 Rolling Eyes
a smith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2023 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Beetles and parts for sale topic Reply with quote

3foldfolly wrote:

What's is this fascination with lashing rope to bumpers?? And sanding for "patina"????
61SNRF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2023 6:54 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Beetles and parts for sale topic Reply with quote

3foldfolly wrote:

Condition: 2
Really? It's obvious they didn't read the Samba definition:

2 - Very Good - An extremely presentable vehicle showing minimal wear, or a well restored vehicle. Runs and drives smooth and tight. Needs no mechanical or cosmetic work. All areas (chassis not required, but may be) have been fully detailed. Beautiful to look at but clearly below a #1 vehicle.

Looks more like #4 at best.

I cringe when I see words like "bought it to fix up with my son", "new floors", "new heater channels", new new new.

Yeah, "we fixed it" alright! Rolling Eyes

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2023 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Beetles and parts for sale topic Reply with quote

61SNRF wrote:
3foldfolly wrote:

Condition: 2
Really? It's obvious they didn't read the Samba definition:

2 - Very Good - An extremely presentable vehicle showing minimal wear, or a well restored vehicle. Runs and drives smooth and tight. Needs no mechanical or cosmetic work. All areas (chassis not required, but may be) have been fully detailed. Beautiful to look at but clearly below a #1 vehicle.

Looks more like #4 at best.

I cringe when I see words like "bought it to fix up with my son", "new floors", "new heater channels", new new new.

Yeah, "we fixed it" alright! Rolling Eyes

Ha, yeah, $12k. I was waiting to see who'd pick up on that turd! I like how he says "we fixed it up, now we want to find something else to fix up." I think he means find something else to "f***" up. What a waste.

Some pics just for posterity....

finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2023 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Beetles and parts for sale topic Reply with quote

^ I'm liking the new carpet and seat covers! Laughing

Kingair42 wrote - I am surprised this bug hasn't sold. It's almost been one year, why? Is there something I am not seeing? Just curious, that's all. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2559875

I suspect the classic car market in the UK is a bit stagnant due to the state of the economy and maybe shipping costs put overseas buyers off Think

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2023 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Beetles and parts for sale topic Reply with quote

Does this look like a $30,000 car?
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2615977

It has provenance and low miles, but it has been repainted, the wheels are now wrong color, the driver's seat is a mess, the engine cooling hoses are not original-----but other than that it looks to be a nice car.
kpf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2023 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Beetles and parts for sale topic Reply with quote

iowegian wrote:

It has provenance and low miles, but it has been repainted, the wheels are now wrong color, the driver's seat is a mess, the engine cooling hoses are not original-----but other than that it looks to be a nice car.

I agree. It's been ruined. Much more interesting straight out of the barn.
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2023 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Beetles and parts for sale topic Reply with quote

iowegian wrote:

Did he repaint it? I can't tell. He claims untouched, but is he just talking about the seats?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 414, 415, 416 ... 420, 421, 422  Next
Jump to:
Page 415 of 422

Jump to: