Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

shuddering clutch needs help please
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pooks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:58 pm    Post subject: shuddering clutch needs help please Reply with quote

Hi ,
The other day I was driving home and all of a sudden releasing the clutch pedal started a hard shuddering from the clutch, it only happened on release of the pedal but the shaking was hard enough to make the pedal itself shake. the shaking was worst when pulling away in first, the rest of the gears were not so bad. There is no slipping once the clutch is engaged.

So far I have done the following.

Checked the pedal, looks fine
Checked the clutch cable - looks to be good.
Checked the Clutch arm and spring for damage and wear - both look fine.
Checked the bowden tube and it is ok.

Today I dropped the engine to take a look at the clutch fork and throwout bearing. I can't see any issues here either. the fork looks good and the baring moves freely, maybe with a little noise. I have included the below pics in case anyone thinks something looks wrong.

Any help would be awesome.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by Pooks on Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dangermouse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Broken front tranny mount...?
Pooks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmm it looks ok to me but I will have another look tomorrow when I have more time to get under the car. Would a tranny mount going bad happen all of a sudden? I thought it would be a gradual problem as the mount got worse?
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since you have the engine out already, pull the pressure plate and inspect the clutch components and flywheel for warping or other damage.
jwp67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same issue. I was also getting clunking noise from the back over bumps. Check the back body mount bolts near the shock tower. Mine had become loose over time. This fixed my problem
Ojai63dbl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Classic shuddering causes I have seen:

1) oil on clutch disc (bad rear main seal or tranny seal) . For your appearance I doubt it as your bell housing didn't have sign of oil or tranny fluid in it and this gets worse with time not sudden

2) Tranny mount (front, and rear). They often look good but have separated. It cases engine to shift as you engage tranny an flywheel. and will be sudden

3) Clutch pressure plate (broken arm) yours looks fine though.

4) Perhaps the clutch cable mounts in tunnel weld has failed. Happens nd is fixable, but you have to cut into tunnel.

5) Loose engine. or tranny framehorn bolts (UNLIKLEY unless you recently had engine in / out or tranny in/out)

5) Dragging brake drum in rear
hsosa1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tranny mount . Replace that throw out bearing it's bad has rust on the inside. Get a german one.
djshutup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'am dealing with a similar issue but only from stop to moving either going to reverse or first and I'am 99% sure its the front tranny mount.
hsosa1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vwkind wrote:
I'am dealing with a similar issue but only from stop to moving either going to reverse or first and I'am 99% sure its the front tranny mount.
yes its your tranny mount. It's cracked . You can grab your headers and move the engine up and down. Try to find a german tranny mount. The chinese ones crack. If you have a stock engine u should be ok. If not stock you may end up getting a cb yellow gorilla mount.
Dangermouse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OP - have you got a mismatched throw out bearing and pressure plate also? Looks like a late throw out bearing (with guide tube) and early pressure plate (with collar). I think you may need to remove the collar on the pressure plate for it to work with that bearing but not sure if this would cause your shuddering issues.
hsosa1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does look like a late bearing then it could be in the race separated either way needs to be replaced
djshutup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hsosa1 wrote:
vwkind wrote:
yes its your tranny mount. It's cracked . You can grab your headers and move the engine up and down. Try to find a german tranny mount. The chinese ones crack. If you have a stock engine u should be ok. If not stock you may end up getting a cb yellow gorilla mount.

I have a wolfburg west made front in the package just haven't gotten around to installing it yet. Praying it fits Razz Everything is stock but who knows I've heard horror stories of bad fitting mounts.
Pooks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to this http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=148307
I have both an early bearing and plate, but I will replace the bearing anyway.

Thanks for the suggestions, I will check the clutch guide tube as well .. Got a nasty feeling that it may be contributing as from the look of the tunnel near the pedals it's been cut (badly) before suggesting a previous fix and if the po's other welding is anything to go by it was not done well...

I will let you know how I get on.

Cheers!
Ojai63dbl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

at least you can look inside now without worrying about slicing tunnel open (LOL)

I still bet front mount, but if you open tunnel, might as well tack the cable guide, and make a better looking tunnel cover that's removable for future access. In gallery yo can find some examples of peoples approaches
racerock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Today 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: shuddering clutch needs help please Reply with quote

Once again, OP gets all kinds of help but does not post the outcome to return the favors... SMH.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: