Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1960 Beetle Patina Opinions
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jacob-A-Smith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 2:14 pm    Post subject: 1960 Beetle Patina Opinions Reply with quote

I bought a 1960 beetle about 3 months ago and I have the frame close to fully restored but I want to keep the original paint on the body. I was wondering what I should use to preserve the original paint or if I should just repaint it. The only problem with keeping the original patina is that I need to replace the heater channels and the rear fenders so it may be hard to blend the paint.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I don’t know who cut the rear fenders like this but whoever did it committed a crime by doing it.

Dibaltic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 Beetle Patina Opinions Reply with quote

Nice patina on that car. Should be able to get the repairs blended. Maybe put out a wanted ad for original paint fenders that would match.

Here is a product for preserving.
https://sweetpatina.bigcartel.com/product/patina-sauce
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jacob-A-Smith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 Beetle Patina Opinions Reply with quote

Thanks, the product says I should clean the body before I put it on but it’s pretty delicate right now. I don’t want to clean it with something too abrasive because the original paint might come off but i want to make sure the product will stick. Do you have any advice or experiences with it?
Dibaltic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 4:25 am    Post subject: Re: 1960 Beetle Patina Opinions Reply with quote

My understanding is hand washing is all that you need to prep for it
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sportin-wood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: 1960 Beetle Patina Opinions Reply with quote

Jacob-A-Smith wrote:

That's pretty funny, but at the same time sad.

Looks like a nice project!
"Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman. He's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it." --- Jeff Spicoli
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dibaltic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 Beetle Patina Opinions Reply with quote

richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 Beetle Patina Opinions Reply with quote

That Sweet Patina looks great!

I did this technique on my ‘71 Westy and it turned out great. I’m gonna do the same with the ‘65 bug I’m building.

Link

’65 Deluxe Build
Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 Beetle Patina Opinions Reply with quote

I'd find another pair of rear fenders, measure and cut the lower part to match, and weld them to the original fenders. I'd even leave the welds visible. That way you'll have repaired rather than replaced.

Heinz Nordhoff
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
FritzCP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: 1960 Beetle Patina Opinions Reply with quote

That will buff out beautifully. Griots Garage compound is a personal favorite of mine on OG paint cars. it works well by hand or by buffer - i like the 3" foam pads you can use with a cordless drill personally. for the deep dark brown rust, use some super fine 0000 steel wool with the compound to smooth out the paint/ primer. you can use 2000 grit wet sanding first to help get rid of the chalkiness first. better used on the lower 12" of the car (paints thicker)

I also replaced the heater channels and lower rear quarters on my 60, as well as the bottom 6" of the right front fender. Blue Baron is spot on, when he says to weld on section, leaves the welds, and just paint the patch to match. I had 2k urethane SS paint matched by the local paint jobber to the glove box, and it came out awesome. i did not "patina' any of that paint.

Fritz 70 - 6306 Bearing Puller
Fritz 44 - Dizzy Puller
Sharp64 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: 1960 Beetle Patina Opinions Reply with quote

I’m in the “paint it” camp. Trying to match 60 year old weathered paint will be difficult. I would replace the fenders and respray it personally.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 Beetle Patina Opinions Reply with quote

Agree - beautiful patina - i'd paint those 2 fenders with old-school enamel and not buff it out - will dull-some, by it's self - but id want those 2 fenders to have an updated look - to have an honest-look - or else, if they matched - you'd be like every other poor samba-guy where everything has to match- just my 2 cents - z

kinda' like this...

11/4/52, black Zwitter - SOLD to my little bro.
1954 Porsche, pre A, with VW 36 horse- SOLD
1/54, black 11C Beetle - TRADED
2/55 Iceland green Beetle, on a 1965 pan
3/55 113 Beetle, stratos silver
1955 Messerschmitt KR175 - SOLD, sadly
1960 single cab
1962 SO33, with SO 42 interior
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2
'02 WestFORDia E-150, GAVE TO OUR SON

All super-heroes, wear a MASK
Jacob-A-Smith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2022 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 Beetle Patina Opinions Reply with quote

Well if anyone was curious, this is how it’s ended up looking so far, it’s very close to being done and it’s turned out well. Thanks for everyone’s help on the patina but she was too far gone underneath it would’ve been too difficult.

LALA4Fire
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2022 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: 1960 Beetle Patina Opinions Reply with quote

very nice. that a way to bring it back to life! VW Logo
Kennys72bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2022 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: 1960 Beetle Patina Opinions Reply with quote

Must say that is a really nice bug !!!! Can I send you mine and have you do the same thing ... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
SLO-N-LO-69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2022 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: 1960 Beetle Patina Opinions Reply with quote

Aww you took the mudflap off.

Looks great anyways. Wink
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2022 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 Beetle Patina Opinions Reply with quote

Love the color.
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2022 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 Beetle Patina Opinions Reply with quote

I am a fan of keeping things "original", but in this case Justice was served. Very Happy
vwuberalles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2022 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: 1960 Beetle Patina Opinions Reply with quote

Bummer the patina was too far gone, but at least you tried! It looks great now, I love the color you went with.
1973 Superbeetle: 1st car, owned since age 12. Update thread --> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9919140#9919140
1967 Kombi: Owned since age 17, Dad's retirement project.
1966 Beetle: My new project. (SOLD) Build thread--> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=678040
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2022 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 Beetle Patina Opinions Reply with quote

ANYBODY can paint a car. Fewer can preserve one.

I would conduct test areas on the worst parts of the missing paint (roof). Polishing and preserving with wax is preferred by many (myself included) rather than clear coating. But it is more laborious and takes maintenance. Clear coat if it will live outside- polish and wax if it lives indoors.

The red down low (bottom of doors, etc) will not be a problem to blend- it's below the widest part of the car and only you and the most astute would notice.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
Emeraldlion
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2022 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 Beetle Patina Opinions Reply with quote

Is that jade green? Always been a favorite color of mine.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: