Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official whine about Late Model/Super and parts for sale
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 66, 67, 68 ... 89, 90, 91  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Late Model/Super and parts for sale Reply with quote

The ad was posted 6 days ago and updated 3 days ago. I'm pretty sure the owner means $15k.
DurocShark
Samba Member

Location: Crappy town in a crappy state. But the beach is nearby, so I have that going for me.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Late Model/Super and parts for sale Reply with quote

Zar wrote:
The ad was posted 6 days ago and updated 3 days ago. I'm pretty sure the owner means $15k.

I wonder how many emails he's (or she?) gotten with just "BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA" in the message.

In socal that's a 2500 max car. Depends on the pans though. I paid $3k for my baja with a shit body, but the pans were/are perfect. When I was looking, I wanted clean pans. Everything else is negotiable. It didn't hurt that it came with one leaky 2180 and one freshly done by RIMCO 1835 short block. Wink
Zar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Late Model/Super and parts for sale Reply with quote

DurocShark wrote:
Zar wrote:

I wonder how many emails he's (or she?) gotten with just "BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA" in the message.

In socal that's a 2500 max car. Depends on the pans though. I paid $3k for my baja with a shit body, but the pans were/are perfect. When I was looking, I wanted clean pans. Everything else is negotiable. It didn't hurt that it came with one leaky 2180 and one freshly done by RIMCO 1835 short block. Wink

Well he's got one for me asking if he really means $15k and his response was...

"15,000 top dollar (I don’t expect to get that at all), but I am open to offers. This particular vehicle has been well kept and everything is stock from its manufacturing year. All original."

He was pretty fast at responding (less than 10 mins). If he is serious about selling and getting more inquiries he should list at a max of 3k and expect maybe 1800 to 2000 at the most.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Late Model/Super and parts for sale Reply with quote

Thanks for emailing and checking as I was thinking about doing that.

$15K.... LOL, it looks like a pile.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:15 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Late Model/Super and parts for sale Reply with quote

I can’t imagine how “excellent” that engine is. No photo, of course.

I think it’s either a typo, or a joke.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
72VWSB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Late Model/Super and parts for sale Reply with quote

Haven't read all of the posts but...it appears that the fresh air blower motors are almost impossible to find anymore! And only a handful are rebuildable!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Late Model/Super and parts for sale Reply with quote

So, I emailed the guy on Craigslist who’s selling the ratty bug for $15,000. I informed him that the car wasn’t worth ten percent of his asking price. He actually wrote me back, declining my offer (it wasn’t an offer), and he said he’d move on to more “serious” offers.

In other words, this guy is living in a fantasy world. Especially since I wouldn’t offer him $100 for his p.o.s., nor would anyone else.

I wonder who he voted for?

Tim

Richard O'Brien
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Late Model/Super and parts for sale Reply with quote

Tim Donahoe wrote:

In other words, this guy is living in a fantasy world. Especially since I wouldn’t offer him $100 for his p.o.s., nor would anyone else.

Tim

I went to look at a 71 Autostick super a couple weeks ago, that said "make offer" in the ad on the window (I know, first mistake Rolling Eyes )

The good-

Car had a great body, minor crescent vent rust, great original upholstery, nice original faded blue paint. Trunk still had original(!) cardboard trunk liner, wiring in trunk was unmolested. Working fresh air fan. Not a bad looking car from five feet away. Seller (a guy in his forties, with a denim vest and acidwash jeans) said lets drive it around and check things out, before discussing price.

The bad-

Battery area full of rust and pinholes

Weber progressive carb Evil or Very Mad

Car would not shift, but would drive around the block shittily. vacuum lines were all squirrely (supposedly it used to run and drive fine with this carb, somehow?)

leaky fuel pump

missing heater hoses, holes in tin sealed with duct tape, heater boxes still present

completely rusted out/ thrashed exhaust

swooky chrome oil fill, which the seller swore was an exotic, expensive factory upgrade Laughing

no engine bay seal

36 horse style shroud, painted lime green

MSD blaster 2 coil

ATF puddle under car that smelled really weird (like, really strong chemical smell, additives maybe?)

no air filter

several pounds of cigarette butts and sunflower seed hulls in the passenger footwell

general odor of dog piss

back window covered in stickers, but, to list the most egregious ones-

"Go Vegan" sticker

"feel the Bern" Rolling Eyes

"stop vaccinating your children NOW!" (perhaps the biggest red flag of them all?)

"meat is murder"

"Support antifa" (huh? yeah right! get out of here with your band of thugs)

However, the good stickers-

"Depeche Mode" with the rose Cool

"Queensryche" logo Applause

"hang up the phone and drive!"

"Genuine high emissions Volkswagen" (hey, I have that one too!)

"Make it so, number one"

So, after climbing under the car, test driving it, and giving all of it a once over, we started going over details. The car was originally the uncle's car, who had a stroke, and gave it to the nephew for college. after a few years of driving it around and having issues with the carb not holding idle, he put the progressive (supposedly a fantastic $500 value!) on it from JC-whitney(!) and kept driving it around town, but it tended to stall out and was very hard to start when warm (not surprising, I bet the thing hadn't been out of first gear in years!) so wasn't driven often. It was also mentioned that the battery will die if driven for more than twenty minutes or so.

So, I ask what he wants for it. I had to catch my breath Shocked

"well, with all the money I've put into the custom parts and setup time, I think $5500 is fair, you want find another automatic in such good condition in California"

I politely thanked him for his time, and wished him luck. He seemed rather surprised, and asked if I would be interested at 5200. I politely said not at this time.

Here in the bay area (this was in oakland, in particular) people are getting drunk thinking they can get more than 1500-2000 for cars like this nowadays.

Its a shame too, because at a reasonable price, it would have been a nice easy cleanup back to stock, I even have most everything on hand Crying or Very sad

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!

Last edited by Lingwendil on Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Deebs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Late Model/Super and parts for sale Reply with quote

Tim Donahoe wrote:
So, I emailed the guy on Craigslist who’s selling the ratty bug for $15,000. I informed him that the car wasn’t worth ten percent of his asking price. He actually wrote me back, declining my offer (it wasn’t an offer), and he said he’d move on to more “serious” offers.

Tim

https://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/cto/6683286107.html

That price has now magically become $8,000. Applause
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Late Model/Super and parts for sale Reply with quote

Deebs wrote:
Tim Donahoe wrote:

Tim

https://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/cto/6683286107.html

That price has now magically become $8,000. Applause

Getting closer, still one too many zeros though
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:41 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Late Model/Super and parts for sale Reply with quote

Well this one isn't really a whine...just thought it was kind of interesting

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/555106171585685

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Late Model/Super and parts for sale Reply with quote

This one's for you, sb001 https://prescott.craigslist.org/cto/d/volkswagon-1970-rare/6687694163.html

Says it's a "Volkswagon" instead of a Volkswagen, and rare auto stick too !!
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Late Model/Super and parts for sale Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
This one's for you, sb001 https://prescott.craigslist.org/cto/d/volkswagon-1970-rare/6687694163.html

Excellent photos, I'm sure it will sell quick with such detail Rolling Eyes
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Late Model/Super and parts for sale Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
Cusser wrote:

Excellent photos, I'm sure it will sell quick with such detail Rolling Eyes

My thoughts exactly, what the hell is even the point of this photo?? Confused

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1600 SP engine
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Late Model/Super and parts for sale Reply with quote

It shows you the tags are expired?
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Late Model/Super and parts for sale Reply with quote

Ok, it may not be built on a "post-67 platform" but this is *nuts*. Who in their right mind would trust this contraption w/their life??? Shocked

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2209372

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Late Model/Super and parts for sale Reply with quote

^^^ just leave the wings off and use it on the freeway! Laughing
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Late Model/Super and parts for sale Reply with quote

Nice looking car but $7500 seems excessive.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1899705606992683

1600 SP engine
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Late Model/Super and parts for sale Reply with quote

Man what's with these Missourians high prices?

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/271252933497679

1600 SP engine
Deebs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Late Model/Super and parts for sale Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:
Man what's with these Missourians high prices?

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/271252933497679

The #3 decal under the dash is an instant 15bhp increase.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 66, 67, 68 ... 89, 90, 91  Next
Jump to:
Page 67 of 91

Jump to: