Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official whine about Late Model/Super and parts for sale
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 83, 84, 85 ... 89, 90, 91  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Late Model/Super and parts for sale Reply with quote

vamram wrote:
Thanks 67R. To make sure I'm understanding and asking a probably obvious question...is the boss the sleeve in the piston that the pin slides into? So I hit it w/the propane from the underside of the piston, right?

Correct!

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Late Model/Super and parts for sale Reply with quote

Hmmm - didn't the pistons ship/arrive with the piston pins already in the pistons??????????

Anyway, instead of a torch, I'd borrow the future ex-wife's oven mitts, and heat up the entire piston in her toaster oven, and put the piston pin in the freezer to shrink it, and then try the install promptly onto the connecting rod end.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Late Model/Super and parts for sale Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
Hmmm - didn't the pistons ship/arrive with the piston pins already in the pistons??????????

Anyway, instead of a torch, I'd borrow the future ex-wife's oven mitts, and heat up the entire piston in her toaster oven, and put the piston pin in the freezer to shrink it, and then try the install promptly onto the connecting rod end.

Well Cusser...i would promptly find the block and other personal items dumped out in the snow and mud if I did that!

The pins on the two piston sets I've bought new, including this one, are packaged separately w/each piston/cylinder, not pre-installed in the piston.

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lost69Convertible
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Late Model/Super and parts for sale Reply with quote

Vamram - I don't know if you have access to this equipment - I suggest measuring the pin diameter with a micrometer. And measure the diameter through the piston with gauge pins. Are they in spec?

I'm no expert - but I'd be hesitant to heat expand/shrink parts for assembly if they're out of spec.
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Late Model/Super and parts for sale Reply with quote

Lost69Convertible wrote:
Vamram - I don't know if you have access to this equipment - I suggest measuring the pin diameter with a micrometer. And measure the diameter through the piston with gauge pins. Are they in spec?

I'm no expert - but I'd be hesitant to heat expand/shrink parts for assembly if they're out of spec.

Good idea before playing w/fire. I have a micro meter I can use. I used it to measure the crankshaft journals too.

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Late Model/Super and parts for sale Reply with quote

vamram wrote:
The pins on the two piston sets I've bought new, including this one, are packaged separately w/each piston/cylinder, not pre-installed in the piston.

Well, I honestly cannot remember; mine mere Moresa pistons, purchased late 2016, and I don't have any photos. I remember weighing my pistons but cannot remember if I weighed the pistons separately or with a wrist pin.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Late Model/Super and parts for sale Reply with quote

Just got a phone personal call from Ron at Carcraft. He's shipping me a replacement piston today. Well, AA is after he made the call. He's not sure AA will want this one back. We'll see if there's an RMA in the packaging of the replacement.

Now *that* is quality customer service!! Very Happy Cool

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Late Model/Super and parts for sale Reply with quote

Insane prices for some of his stuff. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1534095

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Late Model/Super and parts for sale Reply with quote

Did anyone consider that a piston in a running engine, gets a hell of allot hotter, than heating the piston boss to 200°F?

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Late Model/Super and parts for sale Reply with quote

67R, I would have gone the heat route, but Car Craft is replacing the piston. I prefer going this route. If AA doesn't want me to return the one piston I'll put the torch to it just to see how that would have worked. Then I guess I'll have a spare 88mm piston. Ron already said he doesn't want it back.

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
mclumber1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Late Model/Super and parts for sale Reply with quote

iowegian wrote:
jays58s wrote:
I’m curious why people post cars for sale at a certain price, then raise the price later on? This particular car first popped up on craigslist for $9900, then on here for $15k, then $13.9k, now $14.5k? There’s another car on here that was $15k, then $16k, now it’s $19k. I just don’t understand it.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2451183

We have been taught that when something is cheap and too good to be true it must be a "scam".
So, if the price is really high, it must be legit.

We once tried to get rid of a couch for free. Put it out on the front yard with a "free" sign on it. Sat there for weeks. We then changed our strategy: We took off the "free" sign and put on a "$20" sign. It got stolen that night.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Late Model/Super and parts for sale Reply with quote

mclumber1 wrote:
We once tried to get rid of a couch for free. Put it out on the front yard with a "free" sign on it. Sat there for weeks. We then changed our strategy: We took off the "free" sign and put on a "$20" sign. It got stolen that night.

Someone gave us a 2008 52" flat screen HDTV last year. So I advertised for free our 2004 47" rear projection HDTV, took 4 weeks for the 5th inquirer to come for it (had address listed, was on sidewalk, sign said that it worked and was free). Soon after, had an issue with a 36" Sony CRT TV, and since I had a Sony 32" HDTV left over from my mom, used that and put the 36" TV in the quarterly trash pile; it was gone the next day.

That 47" rear projection TV was worth way more !!!
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Late Model/Super and parts for sale Reply with quote

a CL find

https://hudsonvalley.craigslist.org/pts/d/port-jervis-body-from-vw-bug/7296387035.html
$300

This is the front 1/2 of the body of a Volkswagen bug. It is metal,
I do not know too much about this as it was left by the pervious owner. I will be happy to answer any questions or take more picture.
I do have a forklift and can help load on truck or trailer.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
galencurrington
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Late Model/Super and parts for sale Reply with quote

Not sure if this has been brought up before but here it goes. I’m working on a 79 super for some one and I’m trying to install the steering shaft and it has been a pain. I guess there’s only one company making then and it’s in Taiwan. It just seems the teeth don’t want to slide on very good at all. I finally got the top one on but the bottom one I’m still having problems. Not much room for a rubber mallet. I’m wondering there has to be an easier way to get the bottom one onto the rack and pinion. If it was German it would probably slide right on easy enough but it’s not. I’m might try some kind of puller.
kpf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Late Model/Super and parts for sale Reply with quote

1971 Super Beetle Price: $7000

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2463657
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Late Model/Super and parts for sale Reply with quote

kpf wrote:
1971 Super Beetle Price: $7000

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2463657

Wow! That is not safe! I can see the tar board and the bottom of the carped from the one photo on the bottoms side Laughing That is some sterile rot, I think it is closer to $700 in value
“Fitz” 1971 Westfalia Poptop
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
galencurrington
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Late Model/Super and parts for sale Reply with quote

That looks like a parts car to me.
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Late Model/Super and parts for sale Reply with quote

"professional patina'd" umm, yeah that looks realistic! Laughing

https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1326658

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
EmpiGT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Late Model/Super and parts for sale Reply with quote

Hmmmm. Can't say anything nice so won't say anything at all.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2464457
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:27 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Late Model/Super and parts for sale Reply with quote

^^ what a strange way to sell anything! Confused

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 83, 84, 85 ... 89, 90, 91  Next
Jump to:
Page 84 of 91

Jump to: