Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official whine about Late Model/Super and parts for sale
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 88, 89, 90, 91  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
3foldfolly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2022 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Late Model/Super and parts for sale Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2570513 Shocked Rolling Eyes
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2022 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Late Model/Super and parts for sale Reply with quote

3foldfolly wrote:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2570513 Shocked Rolling Eyes

Laughing Well, it *is* numbers matching! But the ad is a dozen pictures short. He'll have better luck getting closer to his asking price by listing it on BAT.

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Late Model/Super and parts for sale Reply with quote

Interesting...no gripes in over a month. Something's not right...

Anyway, allow me to keep the thread alive. Why is it nearly impossible to get good quality rubber seals and such? These turn signal seals from Wolfsburgwest have been on the road, on my '73 Super, for about 2 years. They streak when I wash the car which is a royal pain. And this is swiping against them when dry.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AircooledBackcorner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2022 1:54 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Late Model/Super and parts for sale Reply with quote

Hi,

I was wondering if somebody could help me out with my search for the following parts, 71 Super Beetle Convertible:

A 'wood' inlay for the padded dash. Two of the clips of the rear of this panel are broken. Are these panels available? Otherwise, do you have a suggestion how to fix them?

Furthermore, I seem to be missing a 'bolt' (or join) in both regulator arms for the door window regulator.

Could somebody point out how to join this regulator? I do have a part that closely fit this construction, should I insert these with a flat headed bolt?

vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2022 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Late Model/Super and parts for sale Reply with quote

Flat-4 shifter: I installed it sometime this year on my '73 Super. Yesterday it almost fell apart while driving. The fat bolt on the bottom had worked itself out, I thought the rear shifter coupler had crumbled.

I tightened it good (should have used lock-tite...I'll probably have to do this again next year looking at the build quality of this thing) and adjusted the reverse spring. No more sloppy shifting or accidentally grinding reverse when going into 2nd. I don't think the open threads on the middle bolt had a nut because there aren't any marks showing as much on the plate...

Here it is all back together. Notice the torn boot and rust specs on the boot hold down frame. Crappy quality. It does shift super nice now though, but I do prefer the Hurst on my '74 Super.

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2022 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Late Model/Super and parts for sale Reply with quote

Me again, w/more complaints. This dansk heat exchanger can't be more than 10 years old. It's been in a closed container for just over 2 years. So I was going to roll w/it and was cleaning it up in prep for paint and discovered this...

Piece of shit rusted thru. And they sell these for like $180 these days, and don't even come w/the cable lever. Unreal. Rolling Eyes Evil or Very Mad

The silver bit in the upper left corner of the picture is a spare of the same POShit - except it's one of those "ceramic coated" ones. I removed it from my '73 Super when I bought it back in June '18, so it's been in storage for 4+ years, and has surface rust. I think I'm just going to source an original in good shape, hopefully i can find one locally.

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2022 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Late Model/Super and parts for sale Reply with quote

Geez, I'm starting to think I've hijacked this thread. Anyway, I was replacing the front shocks on a friend of mine's '70 convertible, and have so far had two COFAB shocks arrive where the threaded area at the top is about 1" too short. I can't install it w/the two fat rubber bushings and metal washers/bushings. Even w/just one rubber and metal bushing on the bottom part of the threaded shaft doesn't leave enough room to start the lock nut at the top.

Here ordered them as a pair from Rock Auto and one of the two was correct, same part numbers. Ordered a 2nd single one, this time from CIP1 and it's the same as the "bad" one from Rock Auto. There's no way to get the bushings on as in the picture.

https://www2.cip1.com/c10-9653/

What a PITA.

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
mikeonthebike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2022 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Late Model/Super and parts for sale Reply with quote

vamram wrote:
Geez, I'm starting to think I've hijacked this thread. Anyway, I was replacing the front shocks on a friend of mine's '70 convertible, and have so far had two COFAB shocks arrive where the threaded area at the top is about 1" too short. I can't install it w/the two fat rubber bushings and metal washers/bushings. Even w/just one rubber and metal bushing on the bottom part of the threaded shaft doesn't leave enough room to start the lock nut at the top.

Here ordered them as a pair from Rock Auto and one of the two was correct, same part numbers. Ordered a 2nd single one, this time from CIP1 and it's the same as the "bad" one from Rock Auto. There's no way to get the bushings on as in the picture.

https://www2.cip1.com/c10-9653/

What a PITA.

Do you realize the one you ordered from CIP1 is for a lowered front end? Will not work on stock height front end.
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2022 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Late Model/Super and parts for sale Reply with quote

Well that would suck. Actually I think I pasted the wrong link. He's going to check the invoice and let me know. Still, the set from rock auto we're both the same part number, just one had the wrong threaded end.

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2022 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Late Model/Super and parts for sale Reply with quote

https://www2.cip1.com/vwc-113-413-031-eus/
I had the link wrong, this is the part he ordered.

[EDIT] Said part does indeed work. Problem was w/the installation shop.... Anxious

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2023 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Late Model/Super and parts for sale Reply with quote

Mind-blowing. Time to up my game in fixing up my Supers. Shocked

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1979-volkswagen-super-beetle-convertible/#comment-10438130

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2023 11:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Late Model/Super and parts for sale Reply with quote

vamram wrote:
Mind-blowing. Time to up my game in fixing up my Supers. Shocked

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1979-volkswagen-super-beetle-convertible/#comment-10438130

I wonder if that was the same car that you commented on above, about going onto BaT. Maybe a dealer bought it and doubled his money based on your suggestion.
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2023 11:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Late Model/Super and parts for sale Reply with quote

vamram wrote:
Interesting...no gripes in over a month. Something's not right...
Anyway, allow me to keep the thread alive. Why is it nearly impossible to get good quality rubber seals and such? These turn signal seals from Wolfsburgwest have been on the road, on my '73 Super, for about 2 years. They streak when I wash the car which is a royal pain. And this is swiping against them when dry.

Horrible. I may have to give WCM a try.
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2023 6:18 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Late Model/Super and parts for sale Reply with quote

Busstom wrote:

Horrible. I may have to give WCM a try.

Check both - I think WW gets its rubber seals from WCM. Or vice-versa.

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
minirailz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 2:53 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Late Model/Super and parts for sale Reply with quote

My turn:

In my almost 2 years of owning my current beetle (5000miles) I'm on my third capacitor/condensor.

Until now I preferred to stick with points since they're cheap and easy to diagnose.
But I can't seem to find good quality condensors these days.
And it's not fun to get stranded because of this...

It's the only reason why I would consider switching to electronic ignition...

How long does your condensor last?

Dennis
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 4:36 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Late Model/Super and parts for sale Reply with quote

minirailz wrote:
My turn:

In my almost 2 years of owning my current beetle (5000miles) I'm on my third capacitor/condensor.

Until now I preferred to stick with points since they're cheap and easy to diagnose.

Dennis

What brand condenser is failing so quickly? I've had great luck with Beru or Bosch condensers. Both are made in Turkey these days, probably at the same factory. What shape is your coil? Is is old?
Bosch had some issues with their condensers 10-15 years ago but they seemed to have address the problem. I haven't had any reported failures of condensers in years.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Late Model/Super and parts for sale Reply with quote

minirailz wrote:
My turn:

How long does your condenser last?

I'm still using the original condenser on my first German 009 that I purchased in 1976.

I replaced the condenser on my second German 009 (over 40 years old) in 2016/2017 because the wire was all hard and brittle.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Late Model/Super and parts for sale Reply with quote

minirailz wrote:
My turn:

Dennis

I have 4000 miles on my Bosch Mexico condenser. My 36HP condenser I have 2,000 miles.

Your driving habits will determine how long they last. Condensers like to be used.

I install new (mostly Bosch) condensers in every distributor I build and sell. I've not had any reports on bad quality.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
minirailz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2023 4:57 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Late Model/Super and parts for sale Reply with quote

The coil is new and Bosch, so that should be healthy.

I burned through 1 unknown brand (china crap?) and one Bosch Brazil condensor so far.

Good to hear there are good examples around.
I just have to get hold of them Smile

Dennis
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2023 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Late Model/Super and parts for sale Reply with quote

minirailz wrote:
The coil is new and Bosch, so that should be healthy.

I burned through 1 unknown brand (china crap?) and one Bosch Brazil condensor so far.

Good to hear there are good examples around.
I just have to get hold of them Smile

Dennis

You can check your coil with a multi meter. You should be able to buy the points and condenser off the current market. Just pick your favorite online retailer.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 88, 89, 90, 91  Next
Jump to:
Page 89 of 91

Jump to: