Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Windshield Wiper Wiring Question
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes the wipers don't have enough drag on them and the cycle past the park spot on the gear. I had to bend the arms slightly to apply more pressure on the wipers to create enough drag.
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom_Kathleen wrote:
We have power from the switch to the motor, still no park. This wiper motor worked when we took it out last fall. We will try another one. Tom

Does the motor continue to run? Or does it do nothing at all?

Here's how I tested mine. Take 1 hot and connect it to either the low or high terminal, the motor should run. Disconnect that hot and put it on the park terminal and the motor should park. If the motor is stopped near the park position it will not run.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
Tom_Kathleen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The motor just shuts off wherever you cut the power. It works fine, just dosen't go to the park position. But it did last year when we had the VW steering column with the VW wiper switch on it. Tom
Manxter #16, 1968 Meyers Manx & Kick-Out SS #16 (WIP)
Manx Club & CVA
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

53-A is park.

And wondering what the heck happen to my Samba post count?!?
Tom Thompson
Tijuana Kustoms Inc. (TM)
1-516-338-8746
www.tjkustoms.com
Tom_Kathleen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We got the wiper motor to park by hooking the green wire from the motor to the slow speed feed wire from the motor. It needed power to shut off. Tom
Manx Club & CVA
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sbussard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom,
I realize it's been 9 months since you've posted in this in another thread ( http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2...p;start=20 ), but I'm hoping you have a sharp memory! Very Happy

I found that the motor I have is the same as what you posted, including Black=Low and Black/Yellow=High.

Tom_Kathleen wrote:

It is wired like this - ( ////// ) is the connector.

VW wiper motor ////// Watson's switch

53 Black (fast speed?) ////// Low speed
53B Black/Yellow (slow speed?) ////// high speed
53A Black/Grey (park?) ////// wiper motor park
31 Brown (ground?) ////// car ground
53E Green ////// not hooked up

Tom

I bought a Ron Francis wiper switch ( https://www.ronfrancis.com/prodinfo.asp?number=WS-51) and was attempting to bench test my wiper motor today. I was able to get the low and high to work fine through the switch, but kept striking out on the park.

Tom_Kathleen wrote:
We got the wiper motor to park by hooking the green wire from the motor to the slow speed feed wire from the motor. It needed power to shut off. Tom

Can you elaborate on this? I hooked up the green wire to the same 12v source as the Black (Low) wired and it immediately arced and the wire got hot fast. I think I toasted my switch in the process as it no longer works in low or high, through the switch. I have no continuity through the switch checking with a meter also. I plan on calling Ron Francis tomorrow to see if there is a better way to check the switch.

The wiper motor works on both low and high when I bypass the switch and connect each high and low (one at a time) to 12v. If I hook the black (Low) and then touch the Green (unknown) to a power source (bypassing the switch), the same thing happens. The Green arcs and gets hot immediately. But I didn't have the black/grey hooked up to anything when I tried.

I'm trying now figure out if I did it incorrectly or if the green wire has a short internally to the motor. What did you hook the green wire up to? And what did you do with the black/grey (park) wire?

I'm thinking the Green should go to the Park wire on my switch, and Black/Grey should go to 12v? Per this diagram--> http://nls.net/mp/volks/schem/wiper.gif

Thanks,
Scott
sbussard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

5 hours later and my head is spinning. The innerweb is a wonderful place with lots of information, most of it conflicting. Very Happy I think I've narrowed it down to 2 diagrams.

Diagram #1 - found numerous places on the Samba

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Diagram #2 specific to 72-79 with a Cole Hersee switch controller, part number 75600-04 (the one Ron Francis sells under their name) Picture found on this site--> http://vw.zenseeker.net/Electrical.htm

The 2 diagrams are similar but somewhat different. Specifically, #1 shows Black/Grey going to 12v and Green to Park. And #2 shows Black/Grey to Park and Green connected to the low switched feed to the motor.

At this point, I won't know or be able to test until I get another switch. But I don't want to toast another one.

Thanks,

Scott
Tom_Kathleen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott - I will need a couple of days to get you the answer as to how we wired the motor. Tom
Manx Club & CVA
Gregory2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:38 pm    Post subject: Numberless color connections. Reply with quote

My 72 Standard has this issue in a worse way.
I bought a new wiper motor, but did not check it till after I re-installed the hardware end of it. Went to hook up the wires, and they are all different.
The original connector was a see through sort of thing, and the new one is a solid black with no numbers whatsoever. instead, it has colors. Green, Red Blue, Black. and a separate Brown wire coming out of the same bundle but not going into the black block. The new wiper motor is not from an English speaking country, and no wiring diagram was included with it in any case.

Has anyone figured out the connections to these newer wiper motors?
sbussard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gregory2 - I returned my switch to Ron Francis over a month ago and have not got another one yet. I have the factory motor, so I don't think I'd be much help with the wiring for your aftermarket one. If the company you purchased it from can't provide a diagram, I think you're into the trial and error process, unless someone else here has experience with the same motor.

Scott
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Numberless color connections. Reply with quote

Gregory2 wrote:
My 72 Standard has this issue in a worse way.
I bought a new wiper motor, but did not check it till after I re-installed the hardware end of it. Went to hook up the wires, and they are all different.
The original connector was a see through sort of thing, and the new one is a solid black with no numbers whatsoever. instead, it has colors. Green, Red Blue, Black. and a separate Brown wire coming out of the same bundle but not going into the black block. The new wiper motor is not from an English speaking country, and no wiring diagram was included with it in any case.

Has anyone figured out the connections to these newer wiper motors?

You may be able to figure it out with a 12 volt charger for a power supply and a volt ohm meter. You could always use a brake light bulb or 2 or something in series with 12 volts too and try a few wires with it in the car. Find Ground and the motor speeds and then worry about the switching. I see your in Oregon! Me too. Southern Oregon Coast!
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this wiper issue still a problem? If so, are you using a stock VW wiper switch? If so, what year is the switch? The Beetle 2 speed plus park takes a somewhat unique switch, 2 pole 3 throw.

A common single pole double throw switch can get you single speed wipers with a working park function. Terminal 53 of the motor goes to the center of the switch. Power for the wipers goes to one end of the switch and to 53a. The other end of the switch goes to terminal 31b. The function is that with the switch in the on position terminal 53 gets power and the motor runs on low speed. With the switch in the off position terminal 53 gets power only so long as the wiper crank cam is NOT in the park position. When the parking cam reaches the stop area the motor receives no power but is shorted out, causing it to stop quickly (called plug braking.) The wipers should stop in the proper position, even if they are lifted off the glass.
sbussard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trying to come full circle here for the benefit on anyone else down the road. I finally figured my wipers out tonight. Pulled my hair out for a few days doing trial and error trouble shooting but finally pulled out the meter and with the help of a good friend, we got it.

I'm using a Ron Francis switch (Synergy series part number WS-51 and also with a normal knob is part number WS-5) This switch is made by Cole Hersee and their part number is 75600-04. It has 4 positions: Off/Park - Intermittent range - Low - High. Additionally, you can Push-to wash with 3 swipes after the pump sprays. I could get the Low and High to work fine, but kept striking out on the Intermittent and Park features, until tonight.

I am using this switch with a 1972-79 5-wire VW wiper motor, which had it's original wiring.

The incorrect picture I found all over the web is directly below. For me, the fuse blew every time when I had it wired this way.

The way I was able to get it to work was to wire Yellow from the switch to Black and also Black/White on the motor AND Blue from the switch should go to Green on the motor.

Works like a champ!! I thought it was worth passing on in case anyone else was looking.

Hope it helps,
Scott
Manxter #122
First time, garage built, and living out the childhood dream of owning a life-size Hotwheel!

Check out my build thread-->My Manxter 2+2
Geezer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:06 am    Post subject: 1965 Beetle with a 1968 2-speed motor Reply with quote

Spending some hours "playing" with the wiring from the stock 65' switch. I gave up. I went with the 3 position switch and got the motor to work, less the park position. I will try the "hot" wire to the 53A pole and see if that works the park?
Thanks for the diagram.
monomanx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EVfun,

On this whole wiper mess, do you know if it is possible to burn out the PARK portion of a wiper motor? I have a 75 SB wiper (looking to put in a manxter) and I can get HS, LS but I cannot get the unit to go into a PARK scenario. I was trying to use a mid 60s wiper switch. I am wondering if I have not burned up the park section of the wiper assembly. I have taken the backing plate off of the gearbox and the fingers are all in place, the contacts are all nice and shiny, the "timing cam" is clean and not bunred up....

Even in trying to hotwire the unit, it will not park.

Wiring coming from the gearbox are green, black,black with yellow stripe, black with gray stripe, brown (ground)

Thanks!

Chris

EVfun wrote:
Is this wiper issue still a problem? If so, are you using a stock VW wiper switch? If so, what year is the switch? The Beetle 2 speed plus park takes a somewhat unique switch, 2 pole 3 throw.

A common single pole double throw switch can get you single speed wipers with a working park function. Terminal 53 of the motor goes to the center of the switch. Power for the wipers goes to one end of the switch and to 53a. The other end of the switch goes to terminal 31b. The function is that with the switch in the on position terminal 53 gets power and the motor runs on low speed. With the switch in the off position terminal 53 gets power only so long as the wiper crank cam is NOT in the park position. When the parking cam reaches the stop area the motor receives no power but is shorted out, causing it to stop quickly (called plug braking.) The wipers should stop in the proper position, even if they are lifted off the glass.
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Windshield Wiper Wiring Question Reply with quote

There is a picture a few posts up this thread that shows a way to test the park circuit on the 2 speed wiper motor. The thing is, the park circuit is internally grounded so a good test is not as strait forward.

What I would do is connect +12 volts to wiper motor terminal 53. I would also connect +12 volts through a 510 ohm resistor and an LED in series to motor terminal 31b. Then I would connect the negative side of the battery to the wiper motor frame. The motor should run without stopping and the LED should flash pretty bright as the motor is running. That flash is what is used to stop the motor.

It looks pretty easy to get the wiper motor to run at 1 speed and park with a single pole double throw 3 terminal switch. The common switching contact of that switch gets connected to 53. +12 volts is connected to terminal 53a and one of the other switch contacts. The last switch contact is connected to terminal 31b.

Edited to add, those recommendations are based on the motor being wired internally and labeled as in the above image. In case things are different or your motor does have problems you really must use a 10 amp fuse in the +12 lead between the battery and any other connections!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: