Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Low Light with pop outs?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dubshack1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 5:56 pm    Post subject: Low Light with pop outs? Reply with quote

I recently was told that my 57 isnt supposed to have pop out rear quarter glass,is this true,could it have been added at a later date,dealer option?
SkrapMetal
Samba Hornblaster

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not supposed to have pop outs to my knowledge.
dubshack1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I searched the gallery and found a couple lolights with them,so seem it was possible?
thom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't imagine is was all that hard to retofit them, but they would have been stationary.
1957 23-Window Deluxe
1957 Mercedes Westfalia single cab
1963 Unimog 404
1965 E-Type
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gary
Person of Interest

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lowlights are not supposed to have popouts. It would take a bit of fabricating to retrofit them.
dubshack1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mine are fully functional,and seem to be unmodified,I will post some pics of the glass,already took them out of the car.
Gary
Person of Interest

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is your car a true lowlight, or a later car that was modified?
65ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i like fixed rear windows , especially driving in the rain. when i had my 69 ghia freaking popout had a loose latch, causing the window to vibrate on the freeway.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dubshack1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine is a real lowlight,and has the pop uts,I see a few in the gallery,thanx.
Gary
Person of Interest

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dubshack1 wrote:
Mine is a real lowlight,and has the pop uts,I see a few in the gallery,thanx.

Could you at least post some pictures? This is from my gallery, showing the glass as it evolved over the years.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

dubshack1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry guys for not posting a pic,camera is acting up,I will have a friend post some.I spoke to a friend of mine who has a 59,he also says that it isnt supposed to have them,but I took the right pop out to him,and he was really surprised to see it,and noted the glass was very old,it has the Sekurit log in the bottom corner near the pop out latch and is printed bigger than a pop out from a 60 model?so he thinks it could have been a dealer accessory.If some one has more info please share,if they arnt correct,I dont care,I like them all the same,but what year is the first to have pop out quarter glass?I need to reacherch the seals so I can replace mine.Thanx
Gary
Person of Interest

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can tell you this - the shape of the sheet metal on lowlight Ghias is different on the B-pillar area. I suspect someone retrofitted these to your car and I have some doubts about them being a dealer accessory. Sekurit was a supplier of glass for VW, so that's not unusual. Pictures of all angles of how the windows are installed would yield clues.
dubshack1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the bad news is I aasumed they were factory,tokk them out of the car,threw away the seals thinking I could get more for the 57,and took no pics of them directly in the car,and now am worried I cannot get replacement seals,but hey thats all the fun,finding the parts and rebuilding the car.So all is well.
HouseofGhia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have pics of the qtr pillar (the chrome piece that secures the hinges for the popout glass)? How about pics of where the top and bottom of the pillar were attached to the car? or where the pop-out hinge was attached to the car? You should also have base moding to hold the seal and holes in the body where those were mounted.

The 57 should have come with an L-shaped piece of metal, contoured to the shape of the qtr window opening, which holds the seal for the non-po-out glass. Do you have this piece?
dubshack1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a few pics of the car the day I brought him home,it has 1 pic where it was open,the others are just pics so you can see that theye were in,as for a base moulding,it had an aluminum piece like the one for the seal on the door that ran the entire frame,about an inch and a half wide,screwed to the body,held the seal,I still have those,I will try and get pics,but I donot have any of the non pop out pieces as my car came with pop outs. here are the pics
[url]
[/url][url]
[/url]
[url]
[/url]
[url]
[/url]

Sorry,some may be duplicates,can anyone explain the tail light s,are they euro spec,only seen mine,everyone else has the U.S.spec bulbs,these look like an interior light bulb,thanx
thom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1956 and 1957 had the 'festoon' bulbs, which sorta look like interior bulbs. Your lense would also have a separate chrome bezel, vs the 58-59 lense, in which the bezel is integrated. Your license plate light would use the same style bulbs, if you still have the correct one. "Euro" lights would have a yellow top section, but the housing is the same.
1957 23-Window Deluxe
1957 Mercedes Westfalia single cab
1963 Unimog 404
1965 E-Type
HouseofGhia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Allright.....a pic is worth a thousand words! I have never compared the dimensions of a 56-59 qtr window opening to a 60-71 opening, but if they are the same, I see no reason why a popout qtr window could not be retrofit, which is what it looks has happened here.
Gary
Person of Interest

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HouseofGhia wrote:
Allright.....a pic is worth a thousand words! I have never compared the dimensions of a 56-59 qtr window opening to a 60-71 opening, but if they are the same, I see no reason why a popout qtr window could not be retrofit, which is what it looks has happened here.

I can do a comparison, and I think there is a difference. I will post pictures of the areas in question, and it would help if the original poster would do the same. I have a hunch concerning a couple of items.
dubshack1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we compared my pop out to that of a 66,same size glass,sekurit logo was in upper corner on 66,mine is in back buy the chrome button,so a retro fit is possible,but I am new to ghias,I will probably research the seals some more,what year was the first pop out?
Buggeroff
Argumentative Bastard

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 57 model year does not, (should not) have the "L shaped" hockey stick support that is required for a rear pop out.
57/59's have a "floating" front edge polished trim strip which is taller than that of later cars and attaches just forward of the "B" pillar line, along with a rubber seal which seals the rear side glass to the door glass. The same sealing strip is used for both cars, the 57/59 is just a little longer.
The rear side glass from later models( 60/71) could probably be adapted to earlier models but is not factory, drilling the necessary support holes for the hockey stick (quarter panel trim)and hinge assembly would be easy to do but would be wrong for cars earlier than 1960.
Heck, check out the KGP&R parts listing, all different part numbers for components around the rear side window apertures prior to 1960, chrome trim, rubber seal,even the roof section has a different part number.
I would think that either a later body to early pan, or more likely, someone has installed later rear glass and components.
Check out the picture through the rear window toward the passenger side door and you can clearly see the rolled over lower edge of the hockey stick, not right for a 57.
Also, since they were not available until 1960, I would be extremely sceptical about these being dealer options
Chris.

Headlinerless 57 Ghia
Thread deleter extrordinaire.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: