Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Squeaking noises from the Front End!
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
73kombi
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 3:09 pm    Post subject: Squeaking noises from the Front End! Reply with quote

OK, so last week before I wrapped my heater ducts with insulation......I drove Bessie up to the Car Wash to wash her under belly. After leaving the car wash she was squeakin' like an alter boy with "father murphy" gettin' too close! ......I mean just getting in and out, the front end would make noise. (she was quiet b 4)

Today I greased the shit outta the front end, (about 30~40 pumps with a hand gun) into each zert fitting.......the center fitting took only 20.......the top driver side fitting, actually pushed water outta the tube, but the noise is still there!

I drove for about 20 miles, tryin to hit "ALL" the bumps, and it is getting a bit better........but I am wondering.......is there some other place I need to lubricate to get the squeak to stop?

peace

p.s. thanks in advance if anyone has has this issue, and can steer me in the "NO SQUEAK" dirrection.......

on edit: Bessie~n~me~Moses do live on a dirt road......1 mile up from the highway
atmellovw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe you trapped a mouse or some other varmint in your heat ducts.
zacaroo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

seems like it may be the suspension itself. its not happend to my bus but on my old toyota truck I had a similar squeak and found i had a squeaky spring, a hit with some wd40 every other month nips that in the butt. hope that helps.
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really have to remove the weight off the front end to get the important parts to accept the grease where it counts.

Might also try spraying a little silicon or "tire dressing" in the rubber bushings of the shocks and steering stabilizer.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dan macmillan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 words...Ball Joints. Most are not greaseable. Take a hypodermic needle, fill it with trans fluid and inject it through the rubber ball joint boots. Once the noise goes away, few bounces should do it, inject grease into the same hole the needle made using a grease needle.
It happened on 2 of my busses.
Hope this helps
Dan

Last edited by dan macmillan on Tue Oct 31, 2006 7:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little slippery spray of some kind on the shock rubbers might help.
VW_kaa_ohua_driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My bus, now in shop for body work, made that noise constantly. Sometimes the noise would go away for a while if the temperature changed appreciable but the sound seemed to be worse in the cold. I couldn't figure it out either! The ball joints idea sounds interesting...
ChiTwnVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dan macmillan wrote:
Take a hypodermic needle, fill it with trans fluid and inject it
Dan

I don't have one of these lying around, where does one get one?
73kombi
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Randy in Maine wrote:
Really have to remove the weight off the front end to get the important parts to accept the grease where it counts.

This kinda makes sense.......the grease wasn't pushing out of the spring tube ends (bad terminology?) evenly. I will give that a try. I kinda figured driving it arround would push the grease into the squeak......and it may, after 1000 miles........(but it's driving me nuts) I really don't think it's the ball joints, as they appear in pretty good shape, but the hypodermic trick sounds interesting.......just don't want to add another issue!

peace, and thanks for the input!

p.s. it's only squeaking on the driver's side......but damn if I can issolate the noise!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: