Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Number 1 is getting sloppy.......
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
73kombi
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 11:33 am    Post subject: Number 1 is getting sloppy....... Reply with quote

I have an 1800cc in Bessie, and the last time I replaced the spark plugs, I noticed that the threads in #1 seemed to be a "little stripped".....(ok, sure, they are stripping, but for now holding the plug in) I did consider using some lock-tite, but for now it's working.

I, now, will NOT even think about changing that plug. (and this has me worried). I was just wondering, if that plug does strip out, is there any way to fix the problem without pulling that head? (i.e. can you install a heli-coil with the head inplace)? or some other such rapid fix?

peace

p.s. I am using teh Bosch Platinum Plugs.......so I figure I'm good for another 10,000 miles
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A helicoil or timesert would be the proper fix. However, I would recommend at least removing the cooling tin to attempt. They require precise drilling and tapping. Here is something that is more forgiving and you can find them at most autoparts suppliers. http://www.doityourself.com/invt/u804663 Put some grease on the tap to catch the shavings. Once the you are done, with the sparkplug wire grounded, start the engine for a moment to blow out any excess shavings that may have fallen in. They are aluminum and should not cause any damage to moving parts. A drop of loctite on the insert and install. You should be good to go. Keep a spare insert incase during a plug change the insert backs out. It is easier to use a spare insert than trying to remove one from a sparkplug. When you have the engine out you can do a proper repair. Most likely the machine shop doing the head work could install the helicoil for you.
73kombi
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanx, i pretty much knew the answer.......I was just wondering if it was even "Possible" to do with the motor in.....the #1 hole is really close to the fire-wall, and that seems to be the issue........can you drill #1, with the motor in?

I hope this gives some help to the Samba community.

peace
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The tool is designed to use the existing damage hole. No drilling required. It uses the sparkplug socket to cut the new threads. You just want to have your socket and extension as straight as possible. It will be cramped, but can be done.
73kombi
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, cool then......I really plan on rebuilding the motor B4 then......but if the time comes, and I "HAVE" to do it, I will now sleep better!

I have put in heli-coils, and I always assumed that you have to drill out the hole, before tapping it out for the insert.

peace
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: