Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Building 2.2 wbx performance motor
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
cone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: Building 2.2 wbx performance motor Reply with quote

Hey - thanks a lot for Your help!
jberger: thank you for emphasizing other modifications.

I've already decided to go for my 2.1 MV Syncro rebuild:

Camshaft
- CB #2280 as I would like to stay with 1.1:1 rockers for now, without the need for changing springs

Cam gears
- CB straight cut #1399
- Paruzzi, straight cut #03824

Oil Pump
- for flat/short 3-bolt cam (untill '70)
- aluminium: there is obvious problem that in alu crankcase U can't use iron pomp - oil leakage (different thermal expansion)
- more efficient 30mm: I'm going to expand oil system by adding (A) dual, full flow oil filtration and (B) external oil cooler (radiator in the left engine compartment column)
- stronger pump seems to need a modification of the oil pressure valve spring (or not ?)
- question is: am I going to fit longer (30 not 26 mm) pump behind 3-belt pulley and engine carrier

Cheers Wink[/list]
jberger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Building 2.2 wbx performance motor Reply with quote

cone wrote:
Hey - thanks a lot for Your help!
jberger: thank you for emphasizing other modifications.

I've already decided to go for my 2.1 MV Syncro rebuild:

Camshaft
- CB #2280 as I would like to stay with 1.1:1 rockers for now, without the need for changing springs

Cam gears
- CB straight cut #1399
- Paruzzi, straight cut #03824

Oil Pump
- for flat/short 3-bolt cam (untill '70)
- aluminium: there is obvious problem that in alu crankcase U can't use iron pomp - oil leakage (different thermal expansion)
- more efficient 30mm: I'm going to expand oil system by adding (A) dual, full flow oil filtration and (B) external oil cooler (radiator in the left engine compartment column)
- stronger pump seems to need a modification of the oil pressure valve spring (or not ?)
- question is: am I going to fit longer (30 not 26 mm) pump behind 3-belt pulley and engine carrier

Cheers Wink[/list]

In my opinion the compression ratio of the stock MV is too low for the 2280 Cam. The 2252 will actually boost dynamic compression slightly making for a very nice driving van. Really.
cone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:13 am    Post subject: Re: Building 2.2 wbx performance motor Reply with quote

Thanks jberger!
So I will try the #2252, especially that few of You had good experience with it.

Some of You have straight cut cam gears? I wonder how do they work with our 2.1's ?
Viva.Sabata
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Building 2.2 wbx performance motor Reply with quote

cone wrote:
Thanks jberger!
So I will try the #2252, especially that few of You had good experience with it.

Some of You have straight cut cam gears? I wonder how do they work with our 2.1's ?

Bump - any experiences to share with the CB straight cut gears aside from noise? It does solve the problem of cam gear lash if one doesn't have a plethora of helical gears laying around and a three bolt to four rivet adaptor available.

Speaking of which, is anyone aware of a source for said adaptor since tencent isn't listing those on his site anymore? Seems like a very clever and handy fix, however, it does require knowing cam specs, a degree wheel, and dial indicator to set the gear timing (read - it may be difficult to get just right when using some of the proprietary grinds currently available).
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: