Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Overhaul of cooling system
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
danclark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:07 pm    Post subject: Overhaul of cooling system Reply with quote

OVERHAUL OF COOLING SYSTEM

In an effort to drive my Westy for many years to come, I am overhauling each system. I am currently on the cooling system. So far I have:

1. Taken the radiator out and had it leak tested and cleaned;

2. Bought all new stainless steel pipes, hoses and spring clamps for, I believe, the entire system;

3. New gaskets for coolant pipes around the engine; and

4. Put on a stainless steel bleeder valve.

Are there any other essential maintenance or replacements to the cooling system I need to be looking at while I have all the coolant out of the system?

(I am purposefully waiting on inspecting and updating the heater cores, but perhaps it is a good idea to tackle them now?)

Thanks,
Dan
Stock 2.1 in an 87.5 Westy

Last edited by danclark on Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:09 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Overhaul of cooling system Reply with quote

What are you rolling?
Diesel?
1.9?
2.1?

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Overhaul of cooling system Reply with quote

my thermostat housing cracked and leaked at around 170K miles, at around 200K miles my plastic pressure tank cracked. sometime prior to tank cracking, cap failed and no longer held pressure. if you want bullet proof, for a price there are aluminum replacements for the plastic thermostat house, coolant tower, and pressure tank. (1986 2.1 digifant)

good luck

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
Paul_The_Fourth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Overhaul of cooling system Reply with quote

I replaced the front to back pipes with stainless and replaced most of the hoses during that time. Now i'm changing out a water pump tomorrow and decided to look at the elbow that connects to the right head and the metal pipes that run from the pump, to oil cooler to the thermostat. All are pretty corroded. My elbow pipes that run from pump to right head are the plastic type so im swapping in stainless steel. Its the pipe that runs under the main pulley. I only change stuff when its convenient, failed or on the verge. I guess that means i replace stuff all the time Very Happy

"If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball.." -Patches O'Houlihan
danclark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Overhaul of cooling system Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
What are you rolling?
Diesel?
1.9?
2.1?

Dave

Fixed in OP. 87.5 Westy with an OG 2.1
danclark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Overhaul of cooling system Reply with quote

Do you guys think the pressurized aluminum coolant tanks are overkill?
Type17
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:48 am    Post subject: Re: Overhaul of cooling system Reply with quote

danclark wrote:
Do you guys think the pressurized aluminum coolant tanks are overkill?

Yes, but the plastic ones can fail. That said, I still have the plastic tank on my van.

The plastic thermostat housings and the distribution "tree" on the firewall are also weak points, but seem to last many years if you got a good one. Basically, replace anything else plastic with stainless or aluminum if you can.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:16 am    Post subject: Re: Overhaul of cooling system Reply with quote

Plastic, plastic isn't your friend in a VW cooling system.

Pressure coolant tank, subject to cracks
Coolant level sensor, leaks around probes and likes to "pop" out of the tank, Oring can go bad too.
Pressure cap, Blau is the ONLY brand to use, accept no substitutes.

Suggest a RMW aluminum replacement tank, solves all of the above problems.

Coolant tower, vary by transmission. Behind firewall in front of right head.
Install a new one no matter what, but getting a stainless steel one is a wise choice.

Thermostat housing, get a new plastic one minimum, but a metal one is best.

Auto Trans? Get rid of the coolant based trans oil "cooler" (warmer?) I put in VanCafe's "solid State" unit but choose whatever cooler you are confortable using.

Rear heater core? They leak, often from the small oring that attaches to the on/off valve.

Front heater core? They can leak but I'd worry more about the crappy plastic control valve, install a quality Ford control valve instead.

The bleeder loop is metal.....Yay? But they rust, examine it closely.
The bypass pipe to the left head is metal, Yay? They rust too, bit stainless ones are available.

The bleeder fitting on the right head? OEM is plastic, put on a metal one.

The engine oil cooler, put on a new one along with the related hoses.

There! We just killed the better part of $1,000 !!!! Laughing

Good luck!

Dave

Disclaimer, I did not replace everything I mention with metal, but wish I had.

I did install the RMW pressure tank and am extremely happy that I did so!
I put in a plastic thermostat housing and plastic cooling tower.
I eliminated my rear heater completely.
I installed the Ford Valve
I eliminated the trans oil cooler
I installed a new engine oil cooler
I am running OG plastic cooling pipes still. They are in great shape.
New radiator, all new hoses (including front to rear heater hoses) and quality ABA screw clamps.

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
danclark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: Overhaul of cooling system Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
Plastic, plastic isn't your friend in a VW cooling system.

Pressure coolant tank, subject to cracks
Coolant level sensor, leaks around probes and likes to "pop" out of the tank, Oring can go bad too.
Pressure cap, Blau is the ONLY brand to use, accept no substitutes.

Suggest a RMW aluminum replacement tank, solves all of the above problems.

Coolant tower, vary by transmission. Behind firewall in front of right head.
Install a new one no matter what, but getting a stainless steel one is a wise choice.

Thermostat housing, get a new plastic one minimum, but a metal one is best.

Auto Trans? Get rid of the coolant based trans oil "cooler" (warmer?) I put in VanCafe's "solid State" unit but choose whatever cooler you are confortable using.

Rear heater core? They leak, often from the small oring that attaches to the on/off valve.

Front heater core? They can leak but I'd worry more about the crappy plastic control valve, install a quality Ford control valve instead.

The bleeder loop is metal.....Yay? But they rust, examine it closely.
The bypass pipe to the left head is metal, Yay? They rust too, bit stainless ones are available.

The bleeder fitting on the right head? OEM is plastic, put on a metal one.

The engine oil cooler, put on a new one along with the related hoses.

There! We just killed the better part of $1,000 !!!! Laughing

Good luck!

Dave

Disclaimer, I did not replace everything I mention with metal, but wish I had.

I did install the RMW pressure tank and am extremely happy that I did so!
I put in a plastic thermostat housing and plastic cooling tower.
I eliminated my rear heater completely.
I installed the Ford Valve
I eliminated the trans oil cooler
I installed a new engine oil cooler
I am running OG plastic cooling pipes still. They are in great shape.
New radiator, all new hoses (including front to rear heater hoses) and quality ABA screw clamps.

Dave

Perfect. Thanks for the detailed reply, Dave, I certainly appreciate it.
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: Overhaul of cooling system Reply with quote

Don't forget the plastic rear heater "Tees". If you remove the rear heater then remove these and replace with a Brass double barbed 5/8' Tee.
There are also 2 other plastic unions in the system which never get attention and they are in the front at the heater core and over the top of the transmission there is one as well.
I have never seen a front core go bad. I've seen them plugged up with dog hair and other crap, I think people just replace because they are there doing a blower motor and flap doors.
I would re use as many of the factory tension clamps as I could, they are way better then hose clamps, if you are going to use clamps, but the Quality ABA clamps as Mr Keev suggests as well.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Can1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Overhaul of cooling system Reply with quote

Can you guys give me the part number for the Ford valve?

Thanks
binger59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: Overhaul of cooling system Reply with quote

I have coolant stuff for sale that came out of my 86' that I'm parting out.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1965285

1984 Westy
1986 7 Pass R.I.P. Donor van
2019 Jetta
2014 Passat
2019 Atlas
2006 Passat R.I.P.
1998 Jetta R.I.P.
1984 Vanagon R.I.P.
Robw_z
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: Overhaul of cooling system Reply with quote

This is semi-tangent... but I can't help but say it...

I think the best thing to overhaul on the cooling system is the head gaskets/water jacket seals. I'd never have been motivated to do it unless they were leaking, I admit, but once they were done it felt so good.

So yeah, if they ain't leaking don't fix it... but if they are...

-Rob
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Overhaul of cooling system Reply with quote

Follow link, scroll down....

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7683465#7683465

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
UngaWunga
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Overhaul of cooling system Reply with quote

Highjacking the thread... replacing the plastic coolant pipes with metal from BusDepot. What are the other two lines heading to the front? Are those for the heat controls? Also, RockAuto doesn't carry radiator hoses for these vans. Where's a good place to pick up both radiator hoses? Hoses in my van look to be original, and are quite soft. Looking to replace them before they become a problem.
Jeffrey Lee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Overhaul of cooling system Reply with quote

Bus Depot has both radiator hoses:
http://www.busdepot.com/251121082
http://www.busdepot.com/251121083h

The heater hose, both supply and return, is just standard 3/8" ID heater hose. Gates Green Stripe is a quality replacement.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
UngaWunga
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: Overhaul of cooling system Reply with quote

Jeffrey Lee wrote:
Bus Depot has both radiator hoses:
http://www.busdepot.com/251121082
http://www.busdepot.com/251121083h

The heater hose, both supply and return, is just standard 3/8" ID heater hose. Gates Green Stripe is a quality replacement.

Thanks. Any idea how many feet are needed to replace what's there?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: