Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What’s the best master cylinder currently available volks??
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
66 dormi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:02 pm    Post subject: What’s the best master cylinder currently available volks?? Reply with quote

Well after two new single circuit leaky masters and faulty reservoirs I decided to Convert the 60 to dual master cylinder it’s leaking at the rubber plugs that the reservoir go into
I have another pack of rubber plugs but after dealing with the previous leaky issues on the single circuit im wondering are there new brake parts that actually work????? Don’t get me started on wheel cylinders they should last more than three years on a limited mileage bus!
Dot 3 brake fluid btw

So volks what’s the best quality brake parts and who supplies them I’m fed up with this!
Thanks

Mini R53 bob the tomato
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: What’s the best master cylinder currently available volks?? Reply with quote

Makes sure the rubber grommet seals do not have excess rubber flash, remove with sharp knife if so. Also the hole edge in the MC is not sharp and the reservoir legs that go into the rubber grommet seals do not have sharp edges.

DOT3 brake fluid sucks water right out of the air around you, so unless you live somewhere in the desert or near you should upgrade to silicone DOT 5.0 brake fluid. Did this decades ago, went from every 18-24 months having to tear the whole DOT3 brake system apart to clean out the rust and replace one or two cylinders, to 8+ years with DOT5.

Found that if one take the brake system apart, blow out the lines, then let it air out for three weeks to make sure all the DOT3 evaporates out. Once that is done the good rubber parts of the used brake system do not have a problem with the DOT5.

Still will suggest doing at least once a year in the spring or early summer to burp bleed each wheel once to remove any water that gets into the system and end up at the lowest points.

Use Sil-gyde as a brake paste to keep moisture from the cylinder steel and lubricate up the moving parts pistons, seals, and the cylinders.
66 dormi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: What’s the best master cylinder currently available volks?? Reply with quote

Ok thanks on the dual master I had excess flashing on the rubber bungs cleaned that up and it seems to be holding before it just ran out of the reservoir.
I will do the dot 5 after the season is over since now I need the bus thanks again for the tip!

I’d like quality parts that works the first time every timeif there is such a thing 🤔 I’d swap the entire system out and do the dot 5

Mini R53 bob the tomato
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: What’s the best master cylinder currently available volks?? Reply with quote

Sadly that is the way things have gone, one now has to be the quality control for any modern made part bought today.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: