Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Need head
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Basilbomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 5:04 pm    Post subject: Need head Reply with quote

The guys at the Bug Shop tell me that they don't rebuild vanagon heads with a dropped valve seat - I have to get new ones. Yet I have heard of other shops doing this work, so can anybody recommend a reliable VW machine shop that knows how to do this kind of work at a reasonable price and located preferably in the Pacific northwest? I don't want to drop 400 buck head into this rig if I can help it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
scottcollins72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Listen to the nice man. I went through this with my aircooled van and after spending $550 per head to rebuild them with all new seats, valve stems, etc,etc, I ended up having to put a new head on anyways because within 5000km one of my brand new intake seats was pushing it's way merrily through to the top of the head. Save the headache of doing it twice and buy the new head from CIP. Yeah 400 bucks sounds like alot but it's really not for the peace of mind. Are you talking about the Bug Shop in Surrey B.C? If you are listen to Ed. He's a really wise man when it comes to these things.
Karl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like your subject line......

Last time I said that, I got slapped Smile
ChesterKV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scottcollins72 wrote:
Listen to the nice man. I went through this with my aircooled van and after spending $550 per head to rebuild them with all new seats, valve stems, etc,etc, I ended up having to put a new head on anyways because within 5000km one of my brand new intake seats was pushing it's way merrily through to the top of the head. Save the headache of doing it twice and buy the new head from CIP. Yeah 400 bucks sounds like alot but it's really not for the peace of mind. Are you talking about the Bug Shop in Surrey B.C? If you are listen to Ed. He's a really wise man when it comes to these things.

Does Ed do rim jobs ?
Basilbomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I notice that the bus depot has rebuilt heads for a very good price; anyone have any experience with these? And is it a given that if you replace one head you should always replace the other?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
M_atthewanderson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i only replaced one head when my exhaust valve went out on me. since then i have been running strong except for my starter problems which are soon to be resolved.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: