Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

"What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 57, 58, 59 ... 172, 173, 174  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
240Gordy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

where did you score those tires Baxta? local or from the internets?

Beauty !

Bet you were planning to show them off at the weekend get together?
1985 GL now with more! a 2.1L
H&R SPORT(RED) Springs FRONT , SLAM SPECIALTIES RE6 AIRBAGS REAR
Baxta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

240Gordy wrote:
where did you score those tires Baxta? local or from the internets?

Beauty !

Bet you were planning to show them off at the weekend get together?

Thanks! I'm looking forward to showing them off next week now.

The tires came from Tirerack.com - landed at $105/tire all in - I guess it helped that the border guard was motivationally challenged and waved us through last week! (GST + PST + Tire predisposal charges would have added another $75 or so to the bill...)

I'd like to get the big brakes on before the meet, but I'm looking for a later Vanagon (doesn't have to be Syncro) carrier to match up the bolt holes...

See ya next weekend!
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VanCafe will have 15x6 ET 30 and 16x6 ET 30 rims steel rims available the end of may. They are mefro brand rims and look very similar to the stock 14" rims and syncro 16 rims that VW put on our vans. This rim width and ET is ideal for our vans and they are load rated at over 1900 lbs. each- more than strong enough.
http://www.van-cafe.com/home/van/page_845_341/15_inch_steel_wheel.html
http://www.van-cafe.com/home/van/page_1263_341/16_inch_steel_wheel.html
evansdd3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:35 pm    Post subject: Optimum tire height... Reply with quote

I'm looking for the right tires for my 82 diesel.

The stock NA diesel engine has been replaced with a 1.9 TD and it's much easier to drive now but the transmission must have been seriously low-geared in VW's stock diesel vans as even with nearly double the hp the engine is revving pretty high at 65mph (though I don't have a tach).

So here's what I'm thinking...Got some 15 Porsche Phone Dials with spacers and adaptors and have been considering tires about 215 wide and between 75 and 85 tall (215/75R15 or 215/80/15 or 215/85/15) in order to change my gearing a bit.
How high of a sidewall can I go in 2wd van without rubbing?
And will the 215 be too wide?

Whaddya think?
Thanks for your help,
Vanagonner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm looking at much larger tires to compensate for my "alpine" transaxle. I think +10% -+12% is possible, but I haven't done it yet. I'm looking for 18's.
I don't know if even that would be enough rpm drop to make a 1.9 happy. I think the above would be good enough for my 1.6 though.
VisPacem
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:59 am    Post subject: Re: Optimum tire height... Reply with quote

evansdd3 wrote:
I'm looking for the right tires for my 82 diesel.

The stock NA diesel engine has been replaced with a 1.9 TD and it's much easier to drive now but the transmission must have been seriously low-geared in VW's stock diesel vans as even with nearly double the hp the engine is revving pretty high at 65mph (though I don't have a tach).

So here's what I'm thinking...Got some 15 Porsche Phone Dials with spacers and adaptors and have been considering tires about 215 wide and between 75 and 85 tall (215/75R15 or 215/80/15 or 215/85/15) in order to change my gearing a bit.
How high of a sidewall can I go in 2wd van without rubbing?
And will the 215 be too wide?

Whaddya think?
Thanks for your help,

I have 215-70-15 on Mercedes Wheels 15x7 ET25. No rubbing, no problems of any kind. No spacer (of course) going on two years with those wheels. I needed to change to rear wheel studs (OEM studs too short with those wheels). Got them at SmallCar.

Also make sure you have the correct lug nuts and/or bolts for the wheels you will be using. The scuttlebutt on the forum and in 99% of the cases, well lets say in 98 1/2%, they know what they are talking about, is that you are taking your life (and perhaps mine) into your own hands using the wrong lug nuts/bolts
Wink Wink

No Regrets (Nothing to do with Vanagons)
SeattleDownhill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks to Loogy on getting this set up! I am beyond stoked on how it turned out... Next it needs more low... some paint, big brakes and a new motor... Can I borrow your STI Motor for a few years Loogy?

The setup: 17" porsche twists.. 17x7 front 17x9 rear ET55. 17mm spacers up front (soon to have another 6mm from big brake kit) 30mm rear spacers (to have an extra 4mm from big brake kit down the road) Clearance is tight, but once the brake kit is on there will be no issues. I still need to modify the door... It barely hits the rear wheel right now...

I got a new door and body panel on the right side to fix the banged up van after my accident from back in December... Now I don't know if I should get the entire right side painted to match the stock color, or do some sort of black (maybe John Deere Blitz Black) with a white top...

Thoughts?

Before:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

After:
Santana
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SeattleDownhill,
That is quite a before and after! Those wheels look awesome. Paired with the SA grill looks like a sweet custom looking van.
SeattleDownhill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
SeattleDownhill,
That is quite a before and after! Those wheels look awesome. Paired with the SA grill looks like a sweet custom looking van.

Thanks man, I'm stoked with how the wheels turned out. The entire passenger's side needs some work... with the new sliding door and rear panel, it needs paint bad. But I don't know if I should stick with stock blue color, or paint the whole thing black... i like the black idea, but stock looks pretty good too.... The driver's side is in pretty good shape other than a tiny ding and that little spot of rust I took care of behind the driver's door.

I don't know what to do really...
ARABUG69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:30 am    Post subject: offset on rims Reply with quote

hi im buying somemesh rims the guy doesnt know the offfset and i wanted to know is there any way i can lower the car alot with out making the tires stick out or tilt into the wheel well
Crankey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the ET is usually cast or stamped into the back of the whel spokes, can you ask him to look there ?

oh and seattledownhill, those look sweet on there, hopefully 'll see you tooling around seattle and wave Dancing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
magician
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SeattleDownhill wrote:
The setup: 17" porsche twists.. 17x7 front 17x9 rear ET55. 17mm spacers up front (soon to have another 6mm from big brake kit) 30mm rear spacers (to have an extra 4mm from big brake kit down the road) Clearance is tight, but once the brake kit is on there will be no issues. I still need to modify the door... It barely hits the rear wheel right now...

... Now I don't know if I should get the entire right side painted to match the stock color, or do some sort of black (maybe John Deere Blitz Black) with a white top...

Thoughts?

A quick question ... I have similar / same wheels 17x7 ET 55 front and 17-8.5 ET50 rear ... are both your front and rear ET55? I am starting my homework on big brakes and in the process trying to account for the rotor thickness as I finalize adaptor thickness ... so your experience, I find valuable.

Oh, on the color, my vote would be for the blue ...

Your ride is headed in a good direction !
evansdd3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the interest in bigger brakes?
Seems to me that a 2.1 or 1.9 litre engine pushing wider tires would slow down more quickly anyway...and bigger brakes just seems like somewhere to throw your money.
Am I missing something?
If everyone is running WRX mills then I understand but..?
SeattleDownhill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, mine are 55 front and rear. front rotors should push it out another 6mm or so and rear rotors about 4 mm.

You're right... I think I might just stick with the blue. The driver's side is pretty clean other than a few little scratches that could probably buff out.

As for why to go big brakes... I make the trip to Mt. Hood and Whistler several times a year, and when the van is loaded up with 4 bikes, 3 dudes along with riding and camping gear... brakes are not quite up to par if said deer or car jumps out in front of the van while I'm coming down from the pass an what not. That, and I want to throw a more powerful motor in there so I can make it up the hills as fast as I can go down them... ha ha!
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
What's the interest in bigger brakes?

Vented rotors. The stock solid rotors overheat and fade on long grades. Freeway speeds are higher than the van was designed for back in the day also.
evansdd3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Makes sense.
Thanks for the Big Brake insight.
tjamesj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found a set of 16" rims from a 2001 Mercedes S430. Here is the info: 8Jx16H2, ET40. What will I need to make these fit my '87 2wd Westy? Or is 8" just too wide?
Thanks for your help!
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tjamesj wrote:
I found a set of 16" rims from a 2001 Mercedes S430. Here is the info: 8Jx16H2, ET40. What will I need to make these fit my '87 2wd Westy? Or is 8" just too wide?
Thanks for your help!

Yeah sorry, 8" is too wide for practical use on the front of a 2wd.

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
kounterkultured
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:51 pm    Post subject: New babies Reply with quote

Check out my "new" babies Very Happy
...old Audi wheels (period-corrrect for my 1989), freshly shod in Nokian Hakka C Van in 205-65-15.

Got them through the Samba Classifieds last autumn. I sanded off a few imperfections, glass-bead blasted them, cleaned them w/acetone, then on to a few coats of Dupli-Color wheel paint. In the meantime, got all the required H/W from loogy (thanks again).

Today I brought them to the tyre shop; they rolled as straight as new when balancing the tyres - I'll admit being a little stressed at that moment but thank God they were perfect.
Next step: installation!!

After reading a massive amount of information on C-rated tyres vs the rest I decided to replace the Kelly Explorer M+S rubbers that were on the van when we got it (I think those are rated at 85) :-/
Nothing bad happened with them but safety comes high on the list and I treated the tyre "problem" as if they were fuel lines.
I am more than optimistic about improving the van's handling with wheels 1in larger in Ø + tyres 1in wider... and we won't be annoyed with tyre-safety concerns anymore.
Audi A3
mrievaj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:25 pm    Post subject: audi rims Reply with quote

I have a line on some Audi rims that are 16 inches with 5x112 spacing. Would these fit without spacers and without any modifications to the rims or is that never a possibility? It seems like every wheel on here needs some work done to it. With so many wheels out there what are the things that make some wheels a definite no go? I am looking for 16 inchers and it doesn't matter if they are steel or not. The less boring out and spacers that are needed the better for my situation.

Thanks

This thread is great but takes a lot of searching within it to find what I think I am looking for and then it ends up being partially over my head anyways.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 57, 58, 59 ... 172, 173, 174  Next
Jump to:
Page 58 of 174

Jump to: