Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

"What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 93, 94, 95 ... 172, 173, 174  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
danbar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! Clearly you are smarter than I as I didn't think to leave the last digit off. Very Happy
benandmj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just picked up 4 of these bad boys for $75...

Probably some of the most common MB wheels on Vanagons, but I'm still looking for confirmation here on how to get the best fit. They are ET37. I'll drill the holes out, 7mm spacers up front and none in the back? Small ball bolts in front and nuts in back?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Mark Lewalski
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not having much luck in finding either the CLK 320 or the Audi 5 spoke rims. I haven't tried to look for the rims shown above but would use them if I could find them.

Can someone help me learn what terms to use when searching for these various rims? I'd like them in the 16" size. I have started using Search Tempest in an area 300 miles around my home.

Thanks,
Mark
chojinchef
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark Lewalski wrote:
I am not having much luck in finding either the CLK 320 or the Audi 5 spoke rims. I haven't tried to look for the rims shown above but would use them if I could find them.

Can someone help me learn what terms to use when searching for these various rims? I'd like them in the 16" size. I have started using Search Tempest in an area 300 miles around my home.

Thanks,
Mark

What's your budget? There is a set of clk wheels listed on Tampa CL with tires for 500. Chances are the tires are under rated for weight of VW. Better finding a wheels only ad.

There is also this ad:

http://tampa.craigslist.org/hil/pts/3678547928.html

Was down in Tampa this week. Usual hotel routine to check out CL for local deals.
Its a mistress; an expensive, whiney, needy bitch of a mistress. She is a chunky, dirty girl with bad skin, little motivation and yet she always makes me smile. She sure has been around before shacking up with me. She has a direct line to my wallet, plays with my emotions, is consistantly jovial yet with a sarcastic and sardonic side, is consistant in her inconsistancy, and every once in a while gives me a great ride and a fantastic memory.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tomasz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

there are two sets of CLK320s in Orlando junk yards (look it up at http://car-part.com/ and call them), they are out there especially in your area

Mark Lewalski wrote:

Thanks,
Mark

'87 - 16" Syncro High Top (1.9 TD)
'88 - Westy (EJ25)
'14 - Jetta Sportswagen (2.0 TDI)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

benandmj wrote:
Just picked up 4 of these bad boys for $75...

Probably some of the most common MB wheels on Vanagons, but I'm still looking for confirmation here on how to get the best fit. They are ET37. I'll drill the holes out, 7mm spacers up front and none in the back? Small ball bolts in front and nuts in back?

Assuming that they are the 15x6.5 version of that wheel (there is a 15x7 version as well, so double check this as the hardware will be different) and assuming 205 tires are used (215 and larger will definitely require spacers to avoid tire to upper control arm contact), you could install them without spacers front or rear, but the front will be very, very tight. You would still need small ball seat front lug bolts, small ball seat rear lug nuts and a set of longer rear wheel studs. However, the center caps won’t fit because the hubs/grease caps protrude about 18mm from the face of the wheel. Adding 18mm spacers is not recommended because it puts the wheels too far outside of the ideal offset of 30mm. The ideal spacer thickness is 7mm, but that still doesn’t allow the center caps to fit. You could add our custom caps that are made for Mercedes wheels though. They can accommodate up to 14mm worth of center cap protrusion.

While you could get away without any spacers on the rear, I always recommend at least matching the spacer thickness front and rear and sometimes we suggest thicker spacers on the rear compared to the front. The reason for this is due to the fact that the 2wd Vanagon’s rear track width is 16mm narrower than the front. Adding spacers to the front and not the rear only exaggerates this further.

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
backyard_cnc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

danbar wrote:
Does anyone recognize this wheel? I've got two on the back of my syncro and the fronts are eurovan steelies. I like the look of them, I'd like them even better if I could track down a 16" set but for now I'd love to find two more. They are 15x6, I tried searching for the part number on the wheel but nothing came up. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

yup shows up as T4 wheels with ET55. Sure doesn't look like a whole lot of thread in those lug nuts!
backyard_cnc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:40 am    Post subject: Front hub dust caps??? Reply with quote

So I got all my new hardware from T3 and got a set of spacers locally thru the classified ads and I was taking a look at it all today. Since the spacers have a shoulder that fits into the alloy wheel hub to keep the spacer with the wheel when its removed and that means the centerbore of the spacer is reduced to allow for this, I guess the front hub dust cap must be removed each time you remove or install the front wheels ? I assume this is normal for guys running alloys with spacers?

comments?

Gerald
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Front hub dust caps??? Reply with quote

backyard_cnc wrote:
So I got all my new hardware from T3 and got a set of spacers locally thru the classified ads and I was taking a look at it all today. Since the spacers have a shoulder that fits into the alloy wheel hub to keep the spacer with the wheel when its removed and that means the centerbore of the spacer is reduced to allow for this, I guess the front hub dust cap must be removed each time you remove or install the front wheels ? I assume this is normal for guys running alloys with spacers?

comments?

Gerald

Hi Gerald,

The spacers that we offer are ever so slightly undersized so that they are a very nice slip fit within the centerbore. This allows the wheel to be removed while the spacers stays in place and the grease caps aren't affected. You could remove a very small amount of material from the lips on yours to create the same situation. You would also remove the lip from the grease caps since the bodies of the grease caps are a slightly smaller diameter than the hub.

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
backyard_cnc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks chris,

So are you saying that the front spacer simply stays on the hub under the cap and isn,t removed with the wheel? I thought having them stay with the wheel was the idea especially on the front to keep the holes aligned and make it easier to get the lug bolts in.

Gerald
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Gerald,

Speaking only about our spacers, building them to fit the hub tightly, keeping the spacers on the hub prevents issues with the center caps and still accomplishes the goal of centering the wheels for both balance issues as well as aiding in lug installation.

backyard_cnc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks chris, i understand what you are saying now. I guess really for the limited number of times the wheels go on and off, even if I have to pull the dusts caps its no big deal. Now if the snow would go away and nicer weather get here I might actually get stated.

Cheers
Gerald
backyard_cnc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I chucked up a front hub dust cap on the lathe today and turned the diameter down by just over a mm and I also bored out my spacers by about 1.5mm so and now I have lots of clearance for the wheels to go on and off the front hubs and the spacer stays with the wheel. I also thinned out the 15mm spacer thickness to 10mm and shot a little bit of video that can be viewed on youtube here: http://youtu.be/NAEdBZbnlus

Heres a pic of the spacer and dustcap and also a pic of the spacers showing before and after. And my wife said spending $3k on a lathe was a waste of money, women what do they know!

I sure do appreciate the fine people and all the help and information that can be found on the forum.

cheers
Gerald

Uber-S-S6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:15 pm    Post subject: 17x8.5 ET55 audi rims on 1990 vanagon Reply with quote

What size spacers and studs (would like to convert standard front brakes/drums rear)?
also would like to offset the rear with wider spacers to match front trak.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
backyard_cnc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spacer size and stud length will be dependant upon your wheel choice. Find wheels first, assess if they are suitable and then. Calculate required spacers and stud requirement. Every install can be slightly different.

Gerald
Uber-S-S6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:13 pm    Post subject: I Have the wheels,just need studs and spacers Reply with quote

17x8.5 ET 55 is the size of the wheels on all four corners.
Just would like to match the back to the fronts due to narrow track in the rear.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
backyard_cnc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I,m no expert but 8.5" wheels sounds like an aweful lot of wheel for the front of a vanagon! Hope you have power steering as I bet turning the steering lock to lock when stopped is gonna be a chore Very Happy

Gerald
chojinchef
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

backyard_cnc wrote:
I,m no expert but 8.5" wheels sounds like an aweful lot of wheel for the front of a vanagon! Hope you have power steering as I bet turning the steering lock to lock when stopped is gonna be a chore Very Happy

Gerald

Yep. I can attest to this fact. My DC trip has my forearms looking like Popeye's due to 18x8's with 255/45 tires and no power steering.
Its a mistress; an expensive, whiney, needy bitch of a mistress. She is a chunky, dirty girl with bad skin, little motivation and yet she always makes me smile. She sure has been around before shacking up with me. She has a direct line to my wallet, plays with my emotions, is consistantly jovial yet with a sarcastic and sardonic side, is consistant in her inconsistancy, and every once in a while gives me a great ride and a fantastic memory.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Uber-S-S6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I have power steering and it's not a problem,just trying to fit them on.
Nice rims from Germany made by KW.
70coupyel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The difference is 15-16mm on a 2wd. 7-10 mm per side in the rear is needed.

I think from what I remember read here over 8'' wide in the front of a 2wd is not preferred.
In the rear the sliding door come into play.
Edit: here is a post about a 8.5 in the rear
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2542449&highlight=et55#2542449

Learn to search. A lot of info here.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=338946&highlight=
70 KG Coup
83 Westy Waterboxer

Last edited by 70coupyel on Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:27 pm; edited 2 times in total
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 93, 94, 95 ... 172, 173, 174  Next
Jump to:
Page 94 of 174

Jump to: