Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

"What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 112, 113, 114 ... 172, 173, 174  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
jobenaus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aftermarket mercedes rims. 71/2 by 16 inch rim. ET 37. 10mm spacers front and 15mm spacer rear with hardware from Chris (T3)....thanks for the advice! Tires came with the rims and are 205/55/16 and will be replaced with proper rated tires 205/65/16 or 195/75/16 once the financial dust settles. Smile Until then back to my 14's.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

lemm0
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!
I need help, do these steel wheels fit 2wd transporter/caravelle t3 and/or 4wd syncro t3:

5x112, 7x16 ET31/33, bore:6,66

Thanks again.

edit: added post information
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lemm0 wrote:
Hi!
I need help, do these steel wheels fit 2wd transporter/caravelle t3 and/or 4wd syncro t3:

5x112, 7x16 ET31/33, bore:6,66

Thanks again.

edit: added post information

I'm sorry that I missed your first inquiry about this.

Judging simply by the specs that you posted, those wheels should fit well on either a 2wd or a Syncro, but there is more to fitting the wheels than that. Things like wheel design (which determines if the center caps will fit or not), lug seat style and thickness of the wheels through the lug holes are important bits of information in determining what it takes to get them installed.

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
nblaauw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:47 pm    Post subject: where and how big? Reply with quote

I've been looking around for a good set of clk's and they are near impossible to find...or at least in the places I'm looking. Which brings me to my first question. Where can I find a set of these? Any good resources? Second question. Looking for opinions on benefits of moving to a 15" or 16" wheel from stock wheels. I've seen opinions on both sides but was looking for some more insight. I'm ideally looking for better handling. I pla on doing a sway bar and bushings as needed as well when I do the swap.

Thanks for the help.
nblaauw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:48 pm    Post subject: where and how big? Reply with quote

I've been looking around for a good set of clk's and they are near impossible to find...or at least in the places I'm looking. Which brings me to my first question. Where can I find a set of these? Any good resources? Second question. Looking for opinions on benefits of moving to a 15" or 16" wheel from stock wheels. I've seen opinions on both sides but was looking for some more insight. I'm ideally looking for better handling. I pla on doing a sway bar and bushings as needed as well when I do the swap.

Thanks for the help.
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: where and how big? Reply with quote

nblaauw wrote:
I've been looking around for a good set of clk's and they are near impossible to find...or at least in the places I'm looking. Which brings me to my first question. Where can I find a set of these?

I was cruising the local CL pretty religiously looking for them when a suggestion from here on the Samba prompted me to put my own CL wanted ad up asking if someone had a set to sell. First hit was way overpriced and an hour away, but the second was for just what I'd hoped for in price and location, offered in just a little over a week. That set is now in my garage awaiting priorities to roll around.

Evidently, among the Mercedes guys the stock CLK wheels are not liked, so if you find a Merc guy with one (or two, in the case of my seller) of the cars you might strike gold. Good luck!
minimart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

finally got time to install these!
Borbet 16x7.5 wheels from a Merc, tires are Nokian WR C 4 seasons

1976 vtec mini (ex ice-racer)

Last edited by minimart on Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:56 am; edited 1 time in total
luVWagn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What were they?
And there's a marshmallow on your roof Wink
CKS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:37 am    Post subject: Eurovan Wheel Specs Reply with quote

I just bought a 2002 Eurovan Weekender, so please pardon the newbie questions. I just spent several hours on this forum, and couldn't find the answers:
1. What are the stock eurovan wheel specs? Bolt (5x112), width, center bore, and offset
2. What are the width and offset ranges of wheels that will work?
3. I have read that we have a very limited set of tire choices. What about with 17 or 18" wheels?

I'm looking for gunmetal grey wheels, something like this Rotiform BLQ

or this VMR 702

or this audi replica

I can tell from my reading tonight that finding aftermarket wheels isn't trivial, so appreciate in advance, any guidance you all can provide.

EDIT: just found this thread, which is helpful, (but doesn't provide offsets)
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?5045121-What-Wheels-fit-my-Eurovan
fyrgrrl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So...uuummmm...like....I know nothing about wheels and tires but I want to improve my ride and/or mileage. My favorite Vdub shop will sell me some Audi wheels, 7.5Jx15H2 ET35 for $120.

Will the ET35 work without spacers it's within the 30-39 ET range)? Are these 15 inch wheels? What tires could fit them that are not low-profile? I like the pre-runner look and would go for 15 inch plain jane steel rims but for the price of the Audi wheels....

I tried "the search, Luke" but it was a no-go for those wheels.
1985 Vanagon GL 7-passenger van (manual) - "Braunkuh"
1998 Subaru Legacy Outback (auto)
2003 Subaru Legacy L wagon (auto)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
70coupyel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fyrgrrl wrote:
So...uuummmm...like....I know nothing about wheels and tires but I want to improve my ride and/or mileage. My favorite Vdub shop will sell me some Audi wheels, 7.5Jx15H2 ET35 for $120.

Will the ET35 work without spacers it's within the 30-39 ET range)? Are these 15 inch wheels? What tires could fit them that are not low-profile? I like the pre-runner look and would go for 15 inch plain jane steel rims but for the price of the Audi wheels....

I tried "the search, Luke" but it was a no-go for those wheels.

I searched "Audi wheels ET35" in this tread.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=4611410&highlight=audi+wheels+et35#4611410

edit: More Audi goodies here:
http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/wheels/15-16-audi-wheels-5x112.htm

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=338946&highlight=
70 KG Coup
83 Westy Waterboxer
fyrgrrl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well heck, 70coupyel....I just didn't search every possible combination one could think of. I searched for 7.5Jx15H2...hence, no results for my search.

But that first link had good info and now I have to deliberate on whether or not to buy them. They have already been machined...so nothing needed there.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fyrgrrl wrote:

But that first link had good info and now I have to deliberate on whether or not to buy them. They have already been machined...so nothing needed there.

15x7.5 isn't really the best fitment for a Vanagon. You would need to run spacers on at least the front (but suggested on the rear too for aesthetic reasons) and the necessary thickness of the front spacers would make the front wheels poke out of the front fenders a bit. They can definitely be installed, but at a minimum, you would need front spacers, front lug bolts and rear lug nuts.

Rear spacers are suggested because the rear track width of the 2wd Vanagon is already 16mm narrower than the front and if you add spacers to the front and not the rear, that discrepancy grows by about 30mm to a total track width difference of about 46mm. Due the sliding door, you won't be able to widen the rear track width as much as the front, but every little bit helps. Just remember that if you add rear spacers, you also have to add longer rear studs. If no rear spacers are used, those particular Audi wheels can be bolted to the stock rear studs as long as the correct lug nuts are used.

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
fyrgrrl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well...I was starting to shy away from buying them....and Chris....you just pushed me over the edge. Thank you for your insight.

I have my eye on some Mercedes C-class 15x6.5 ET37 listed on CL....from what I can tell....you say they will work, but with spacers (I think that's what you said). I am looking to put them on my 1987 Westy.
sambarabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:08 am    Post subject: Advice please on 17" rims for T3 vanagon Reply with quote

Hi, i am looking to buy a set of wheels for a 1981 Westfalia vanagon, in the following size: 17x8, 5x112, ET35, Centre bore, 66.
Can someone please tell me if the 8 width will fit straight on without spacers or adapters.
I am also considering exact same wheels as above but 18x8.
Thanks a lot guys
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fyrgrrl wrote:

I have my eye on some Mercedes C-class 15x6.5 ET37 listed on CL....from what I can tell....you say they will work, but with spacers (I think that's what you said). I am looking to put them on my 1987 Westy.

While those will usually (usually - meaning that are a few cases where they have not fit) fit without front spacers, you would need to run 205 or narrower tires, you will still need to change the rear wheel studs to longer versions and run new lugs front and rear. Some wheels in that style/size/model have center cap clearance issues as well, so we would have to see a photo to be sure about that.

Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: Advice please on 17" rims for T3 vanagon Reply with quote

sambarabbit wrote:
Hi, i am looking to buy a set of wheels for a 1981 Westfalia vanagon, in the following size: 17x8, 5x112, ET35, Centre bore, 66.
Can someone please tell me if the 8 width will fit straight on without spacers or adapters.
Thanks a lot guys

Unfortunately, neither one of those wheels, 17x8 ET35 or 18x8 ET35, will fit without spacers on the front at least.

sambarabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: Advice please on 17" rims for T3 vanagon Reply with quote

Christopher Schimke wrote:
sambarabbit wrote:
Thanks a lot guys

Unfortunately, neither one of those wheels, 17x8 ET35 or 18x8 ET35, will fit without spacers on the front at least.

Thanks Christopher. Do you know which size spacers would be required?
Other than the spacers do you see any other issues?
fyrgrrl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are the said Mercedes C-class wheels. I sent questions to the seller but no answer back.

Little Hobbit Bastard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Christopher,

I think I already know the answer to this but I just wanted throw these out there because they are fairly priced and local pick up for me. I figured if there is a possibility they can fit, even with modifications, they would be worth it. I currently have these same AMG wheels on my '89 GL but in the 17" version. One of my rear wheels was destroyed when somebody crashed into my vanagon over night (lame!). Anyways, was looking to replace the one and came by a whole set of 18's on ebay. I know spacers would be needed for sure, any possibility these would fit my ’89 GL or are they too big?

Mercedes AMG
Front Rims ET 44 8 1/2 JX18 H2
Rear Rims ET 46 9 1/2 JX18 H2

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121399514641?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Thanks!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 112, 113, 114 ... 172, 173, 174  Next
Jump to:
Page 113 of 174

Jump to: